Chameleon not eating

Hi.

My daughter's chameleon doesn't seem to be eating at all and we don't know why.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Jackson's, Male, around 5-6 months
How long has it been in your care? 1 1/2 weeks
Handling - Once every three days or so for very short period in the sun
Feeding - Gut fed crickets, just tried mealworms and waxworms in the past day - No luck. We've had crickets in the cage roaming around but he hasn't seemed interested.
Supplements - We're using Repashy BugBurger for the crickets. We also have a Calcium/D3 powder.
Watering - I just got the misting system hooked up tonight. Otherwise, we've been spraying several times a day. So, now I will have a MistKing running 4 times a day for about 5 minutes each time. We also have a Little Dripper dripping with a good rate.
Do you see your chameleon drinking? We've seen him drinking on occasion.
Fecal Description - Not seeing much in the way of poop. Did see an orangish urate though my wife says she saw a whitish one in there too.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 screen cage
Lighting - Basking light - 75W. UVB Zoomed 5.0 - Both run from 8am to 8pm.
Temperature - About 8 inches from very top of cage - varies but around 81-82. There is a vine to the side he could go up if needed to get closer. At night, we keep our room temp at around 73. It could be slightly cooler in the cage given the plants.
Humidity - High 40s. When misting, it's much higher. Use a temp/hydrometer. MistKing misting system (starting tonight).
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 1 Schefflera arboricola, 1 Croton, 1 Pothos
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is on a table that sits 3-3 1/2 feet off the ground. Located in my office.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Marietta, GA

Current Problem - He isn't showing interest in eating since we got him as far as I can tell. So here's some additional background.

We bought two chameleons a week and a half ago at Repticon. Both Jackson's and males. The vendor actually told us they could be together though I was suspicious about that given everything I've read. I had them both in the same cage for a week until I could construct the second cage and then move "Leo" (the one I am concerned about) out this past Sunday morning. The other chameleon "Georgie" looks really good and healthy. Leo is skinny and smaller I think he got stressed in the cage a little with Georgie. He's lightened up overall since the move and he tends to move around a bit, but I haven't seen him eating at all. Last night, we put some mealworms in a dish and he didn't touch them. Today, nothing as well. We put a couple waxworms in there too. No go. The cages are side by side but I have cardboard between them so they can't see each other at all. We had hoped to see Leo improve but now we're pretty concerned. Sometimes we find him at the top and occasionally nearly at the very bottom toward the back of the cage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have veiled chameleons but I am familiar with the Jackson's chameleon too. Male Jackson's chameleons should not be kep together because it stresses them out too much. The smaller one is intimidated by the larger male and hides from him in the upper and lower parts of the cage. Stress is causing your Cham not to eat and it should be moved to a seperate cage with a visual barrier in between the cages. Also the white droppings are totally normal it is a urate solid.
I hope your chameleon starts eating again soon

Can they still see each other?

IF so, try putting a divider.

try cup feeding the bugs.

and don't stand their and watch him eat. or wait,.

sometimes, they are super shy eaters, and wont eat if a person is near by.

I had a cham who literally would stop chewing mid bite, and leave a roach hanging out of his mouth until I left.

I have a divider up and so the chameleons cannot see each other at all. He's been in his own cage since this past Sunday. We just got the mister system running in there last night but we've been misting by hand before then.

His colors overall have been lighter than before but we don't see any signs that he's eating - not seeing poop, crickets/mealworms/waxworms left untouched.

Thanks for the suggestions - more insights are welcome.

more than likely hes just adjusting. it can take them a few weeks to settle in.

just cuz you cant find poop, doesn't mean he isn't pooping. youd be surprised how sneaky it can get.

Pictures of Leo - Still not eating

I thought I'd include a couple pictures of the little guy.
leo

He's a little darker here than he might normally be.

http://www.marketingcoe.com/leo/

more than likely hes just adjusting. it can take them a few weeks to settle in.

just cuz you cant find poop, doesn't mean he isn't pooping. youd be surprised how sneaky it can get.

I agree. My panther chams both took a little bit to adjust when we first got them and they didnt eat for a few days. Now if you start to see your cham losing weight and being lethargic (sleeping during the day) you might want to contact your reptile vet. Other than that he's probably just adjusting.

Back
Top Bottom