Chameleon Nightmares?

matthewsutton

Hi, first post... and may sound random, but...

Can chameleons have nightmares? Charlie was asleep this evening for about an hour, when he appeared to wake with a start, and showing a colour pattern I have very rarely seen on him. Very dark stripes across his face. He is still awake at the moment, 20 minutes later.
He is a Panther, red and green.
Thanks!

Well, I'm speculating because I doubt anyone knows whether chams dream or not. When the temps drop, lights go out, their metabolism drops in response. That means their brain is less active, so they may not dream in the sense we know it. Maybe he sensed that he was slipping off his perch or some vibration from the room startled him. Many cham species will release their grip and fall to the ground if something touches them while asleep. The idea is to make the intruder think they are just a falling leaf, not dinner.

More likely something startled him awake. I have always wondered if reptiles dream, and I think there is still a great amount of debate on whether reptiles even enter REM sleep as we understand it. They may not dream or their dreams may be substantially different from mammalian dreaming. Perhaps a sudden vibration or thump bothered him?

Side note: I really do hope chameleons have dreams. Cute dreams about bugs, sunshine, and climbing :D

Thanks guys, was behaviour I'd never seen, so was a tad concerned, his colours have settled to his 'pyjamas' again, though he is still awake. I hope they dream too!

Back
Top Bottom