chameleon memory

salty dog

Chameleon Enthusiast
Is there any scientific data on this? I built a new cage with old plants installed and my cham, male ambilobe stuck to one of them for 3 days before exploring...

Chameleons like routine, he noticed something familiar and stuck to it until he got comfortable

I would like to know how smart they really are, I just recently started feeding from a cup, it took 2 feedings for them to know, now soon as I put cups in there and right away I hear tink tink tink thunk, lol.. I hope somewhere in the future they will warm up to me

I used to have a hollow log in my chams cage that he really liked to hide in and I took it out for a couple of months and when I put it back he instantly recognized it and ran into his favourite hiding spot.

What kind of hollow log? I think the dried grape branches with enough moisture gets mushy, not sure, somebody said that

What kind of hollow log? I think the dried grape branches with enough moisture gets mushy, not sure, somebody said that
I bought this cork log kinda like this one. It has been in the cage for over 6 months and has stayed very solid. Not mushy at all. My cham really likes it.
korkki.PNG

I spray alot, I'd be worried about it rotting, I have 3 fast growing vines, it won't be long before I have to trim them so they don't take over the cage, plenty of hiding spots, cham poop is great fertilizer at least for orchids!!

I spray alot, I'd be worried about it rotting, I have 3 fast growing vines, it won't be long before I have to trim them so they don't take over the cage, plenty of hiding spots, cham poop is great fertilizer at least for orchids!!
I don't think that cork can rot. Not very easily at least. That's why it's very popular amongst reptile hobbyists. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not exactly sure, I'd just keep an eye on it, I would get one, but my enclosure has alot of vegetation

I am guessing not very smart. They seam to be all instinct. Since wondering could get them into a fight with another cham, or eaten by a predator, they are programmed to find a familiar spot and stay there to avoid wondering. They are programmed to hold still when scared and then hiss and/or fall as a last resort. If a cham "likes" you, it is just showing it is familiar with you and associates you with food.

My Cham recognises me as his chef, he is very comfortable with me and handling but gets very weary with people he hasnt seen before, he knows where I put his food tub in the enclosure and will wait by the branch anxh it is usually placed whw he wants food, so I would say they have fairly good memory

Back
Top Bottom