Chameleon making me crazy!

Julirs

OK--my now 9 week old veiled who I had concerns about drinking before (I think the warm water did the trick), only ate a few crickets yesterday and none that I know of today. He is in a 38 gallon Reptarium with a ZooMed 10.0 flourescent light and a basking bulb that has a running temp of about 85 degrees. I could just be paranoid but I want the best for this little guy. He has a live Pothos plant and several fake vines throughout the cage. I have been feeding free range crickets and some in a cup. He has been picking them out of a cup since the day I got him as well as zapping them off of the sides and plants. Today I took a bigger cup (transluscent plastic like the ones you get Chinese food/soup in) that is deep enough so the crickets can not escape and hung it off of the vine in the cage. He has checked it out a few times, but like I said, has not eaten much the past few days. Should I only be dusting with Calcium with D3 once a week like some forum members say? I am also catching him hanging off of the top under the light. The temp there is about 95 and I think that may be too high. One more question-he is a Turquoise-Sunburst cross, and he tends to look more blue than light green-is that normal? He gets real light at night when he is sleeping.

...He has been picking them out of a cup since the day I got him as well as zapping them off of the sides and plants. Today I took a bigger cup (translucent plastic like the ones you get Chinese food/soup in) that is deep enough so the crickets can not escape and hung it off of the vine in the cage.

... Should I only be dusting with Calcium with D3 once a week like some forum members say? I am also catching him hanging off of the top under the light.

...he gets real light at night when he is sleeping.
Howdy,

Translucent cups often confuse chameleons into thinking that they can shoot through the plastic. Try going back to a solid color that isn't very deep - maybe 2 inches max.

9 weeks old is pretty young. Some would suggest Ca/D3 several times a week and Herptivite once a week.

No light at all after dark is best. No added heat needed at night if you are above 60F.

Thanks Dave Weldon. I love this forum and all of the great advice!

What I meant by light is that he gets light in color. I do not keep any lights on at night. We do not get too much of a temp drop being in Florida.

They get light colored at night, that's normal.
They are most relaxed and unstressed when sleeping and their color reflects that.

-Brad

Has anyone had a chameleon that just refused to drink and dehydrated itself? I misted for 20 straight minutes today and he opened his mouth 3x but I never see him drinking. I also ran the dripper, which he likes to get under and let drip on him due to the warm water but again I do not see him drink. What do I do? Today he had some yellow instead of white poop parts.

well what i do for mine since i dont see him drink is spray him directly for a while and i heard that rehydrates them, and it must because he has very white urates.

Hey Mike-my husband watched him sneaking drinks off of the leaves after he misted him tonight-so that makes me feel a little better. I will watch him tomorrow. I emailed you earlier but am at work and haven't checked my email. I will call tomorrow if I am still having a problem with him. He was plenty active today exploring his cage. He is absolutely beautiful when he shows his colors while stalking crickets!

Back
Top Bottom