Chameleon looking sick

Byron18

My female veiled cham is about 2 years old(give or take 6 months, got her at the end of march coming up 2 years and the shop didnt know the age). I feed her 6 large crickets every 2 days and started to give her kale in the gap day. The gap is just so she can clear her stomach before eating more as I dont want her to get indegestion or something. Last Sunday she started to not move with her eyes closed in the day. I left it a day to see because I thought she was just digesting her food. The next day she did the same so I looked around and saw someone had a similar experience and that theirs just ate a sick cricket. I got my crickets from a new place this time so I thought it could be someone they fed their feeders. I waited another couple days and yesterday I thought if she isnt back to normal by today then I would try and get some more advice and take her to the vet if needed. I have attached photos of what she looks like today. If anyone can help me and tell me what is wrong or what to do then that would be greatly appreciated. In the pictures she looks more green but that colour is a more gray although she is still partly green.
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1380.JPG

So sorry to hear your cham isn't doing well. Eyes closing during the day is one of the #1 signs of sick chameleon.

Could you please fill out the how to ask for help form? The more detail the better. Also pictures of her enclosure.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled cham, around 2 years. Had her since end of march coming up on 2 years. Pet shop didnt know age but around 5-6 months id guess.
  • Handling - Never really, only to inspect her closer.
  • Feeding - I was feeding her around 6 large crickets every 2 days, gut loaded with kale and other vegies like carrots.
  • Supplements - Calcium dust by pro rep (Dont think it has d3 since it doesnt mention it) and pro rep multivitamins. Dust the one lot of crickets in calcium every 2 weeks and 1 lot of crickets with multi vitamins once a month.
  • Watering - I hand mist her, twice a day for about a minuet each. I see her going for droplets on leaves.
  • Fecal Description - I havnt seen any feces or urate for a bit but the last one was good. I have a bioactive setup so its probably gone by the time I get to it.(Not a good sign I know)
  • History - None

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Exo Terra Small X tall, glass wit mesh top.
  • Lighting - I have an exo terra 75W extreme heat bulb since it gets cold in my room and the air absorbs the heat. 2 UVA/UVB bulbs in an exo terra dual UVB/UVA bulb holder with reflectors. on from 8:30 am - pm
  • Temperature - The basking area is around 34 -36 depending on room temp, lower cage is around 24. I use exo terra humidity and thermeter electrical.
  • Humidity - lingers around 60% after some time of misting. When I mist it goes to 80%. Lowest it gets is 40 but that is when i get home from school and mist then anyway.
  • Plants - Live plants, Pretty sure its a climbing pothos on a straw pole. Got some branches in there.
  • Placement - It is in my room, not much traffic. About 2m from top of cage to floor. On top of a dresser.
  • Location - South East England.
Current Problem - My cham has her eyes closed during the day. Colour has gone abit gray. Been like this for about 5 days now. I am planning to take her to the vet soon.
The lights went out so its a little dark but I shone a flashlight to give you some visibility.
IMG_1391.JPG

Please don't wait to take her to the vets...she needs to be there right away. It could be the crickets or it could be a number of other things and all we can do in a case like this is guess.

You said..."Calcium dust by pro rep (Dont think it has d3 since it doesnt mention it) and pro rep multivitamins. Dust the one lot of crickets in calcium every 2 weeks and 1 lot of crickets with multi vitamins once a month"...I would recommend lightly dusting the insects just before feeding at almost every feeding with a PHOS free calcium powder, twice a month with a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

I would add a dripper to her watering schedule.

You Said..."Lighting - I have an exo terra 75W extreme heat bulb since it gets cold in my room and the air absorbs the heat. 2 UVA/UVB bulbs in an exo terra dual UVB/UVA bulb holder with reflectors. on from 8:30 am - pm"... What specific UVB lights are you using? what do you use as a basking light? When you say extreme heat bulb...is it a heat emitter or a light bulb?

You said..."Calcium dust by pro rep (Dont think it has d3 since it doesnt mention it) and pro rep multivitamins. Dust the one lot of crickets in calcium every 2 weeks and 1 lot of crickets with multi vitamins once a month"...I would recommend lightly dusting the insects just before feeding at almost every feeding with a PHOS free calcium powder, twice a month with a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

I would add a dripper to her watering schedule.

You Said..."Lighting - I have an exo terra 75W extreme heat bulb since it gets cold in my room and the air absorbs the heat. 2 UVA/UVB bulbs in an exo terra dual UVB/UVA bulb holder with reflectors. on from 8:30 am - pm"... What specific UVB lights are you using? what do you use as a basking light? When you say extreme heat bulb...is it a heat emitter or a light bulb?
The heat is a bulb in a holder, the UVB is an exo terra im pretty sure.

Back
Top Bottom