Chameleon Life Expectancy

odduc748

I'd like to get some feedback from experienced keepers to see how long you've been able to keep your chams in your care.

I know things can happen very quickly and unexpectedly with these creatures. So, I think it would be interesting to compare the different species life cycles.

If you'd like to contribute, copy and paste the list to your reply and add to it with species, sex and age.

Thanks!

Furcifer pardalis (panther) male - 6 years
Chamaeleo calyptratus (veiled) male - 7 years
Trioceros jacksonii xanthophalus (Jackson) male - 6 years
Ripple on brevicaudatus (pygmy) male and female - 3 years

Anyone else?

There is nothing scientific here, I'm just trying to see what kinds of experiences people have had with their chams.

Barring health complications my Panther males live 4-6 years. That said, I've had some seemingly healthy panthers decline rapidly and die within a few months time @ 2-4 years.

Healthy old Parson male that was full grown and big enough to eat Hummingbirds - 8 yrs in my care. No idea how old he was when I got him but he was not a young one.

With my experience its just on the Chameleon. Literature will give you a ballpark figure but if your setup is right and no health issues that life cycle can expand.

Thanks for the replies.

I would love to have a Parsons, one day. I know they're very expensive and rare. So, more wishful thinking than anything else.

For the time being my female Panther seems healthy and happy. Although, I really wish she would eat more than crickets and the occasional superworm. I suppose that will come in time as she gets more mature.

I'm glad I found this website as it has been a great resource full of the information I need to keep my cham healthy.

I've had two male veiled chameleons that lived the longest. One was 8 years, and the other was just shy of 9.

I've had two male veiled chameleons that lived the longest. One was 8 years, and the other was just shy of 9.
That is a ripe old age for a chameleon! There was someone on here who claimed to have a Jackson that was 14 yrs old. I am not sure if I quite believed them though!!

Back
Top Bottom