Chameleon laying eggs

Dsmndw

Hi, I have a female veiled chameleon that just laid infertile eggs. I just got her a year ago and this is my first Chameleon, I did a lot of research and I found out she needed to lay eggs so I got a bin for her and filled it with sand, the next day she had about 37 eggs laid around her then I let her stay in there for the whole day. Took her out today and put her in her cage and she is now not eating and she is lying on her stomach like this, also she got dark (except for one colorful green spot) when I put her in there, what needs to be done after she lays eggs? Do I need to give her less/more heat, or leave her be for a little?

Attachments

• 0EDF8698-C2EF-473A-B783-CAD07074D729.jpeg
    0EDF8698-C2EF-473A-B783-CAD07074D729.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 124
Can you post some more pics of her? Can you post some pics of her entire enclosure too?
After she laid her eggs, did she fully cover her tunnels? Did she at all return to basking?

How long has she been showing those yellow splotches?

How many insects do you feed her in a week? Please be specific.

She looks like she still has a lot of eggs inside her. Likely she is eggbound and needs to see a vet.

She’s had the spots ever since she started getting colors, i feed her every other day about 5-10 crickets each time. If she has eggs still inside her would i not be able to place her in the bin and she can finish laying her eggs I just took her out this morning, about 10 hours ago?

Can you post some more pics of her? Can you post some pics of her entire enclosure too?
After she laid her eggs, did she fully cover her tunnels? Did she at all return to basking?
Once i get home from work i will, she actually never dug any tunnels she just laid them out and then started covering them with dirt, we had the heat lamp on her but she didn’t seem to like it so it’s been off for a few hours.
77EF0C46-E9AC-44A0-AB7A-BCF06DE47FF1.jpeg

I would say she was possibly egg bound, chameleons usually dig tunnels and lay their eggs. It seems she was in a hurry to let these eggs go.

People usually have a lay bin in the enclosure with the chameleon so that they can lay whenever needed. I’d try to put the lay bin in the enclosure to see if she needs to lay some more. If she gets worse, she’s possibly egg bound and would need a vet.

She’s had the spots ever since she started getting colors, i feed her every other day about 5-10 crickets each time. If she has eggs still inside her would i not be able to place her in the bin and she can finish laying her eggs I just took her out this morning, about 10 hours ago?

How long ago did she start getting colors?

You've been feeding her too much. She should only have been getting 3 to 5 insects 2 or 3 times a week starting as she approached maturity. Her basking temperature should be 80F as well. Overfeeding them causes them to produce large clutches, predisposes them to MBD and can even cause prolapses. It also leads to follicular stasis (follicles don't ovulate) and dystocia (egg binding).

She looks like she still has quite a few eggs in her. She is likely heading for eggbinding.

Why did you take her out of the bin?
It's not at all likely that putting her back will lead to her laying the rest of the eggs...but I'd try it anyway. You have nothing to lose at this point. Don't disturb her and don't let her see you watching her. I would also dig a tunnel for her to lay them in. The substrate should be abou 8" deep.

How long ago did she start getting colors?

You've been feeding her too much. She should only have been getting 3 to 5 insects 2 or 3 times a week starting as she approached maturity. Her basking temperature should be 80F as well. Overfeeding them causes them to produce large clutches, predisposes them to MBD and can even cause prolapses. It also leads to follicular stasis (follicles don't ovulate) and dystocia (egg binding).

She looks like she still has quite a few eggs in her. She is likely heading for eggbinding.

Why did you take her out of the bin?
It's not at all likely that putting her back will lead to her laying the rest of the eggs...but I'd try it anyway. You have nothing to lose at this point. Don't disturb her and don't let her see you watching her. I would also dig a tunnel for her to lay them in. The substrate should be abou 8" deep.
About 6-7 months ago is when she started getting colors, I took her out because she was in the bin for almost 2 days and thought that was enough time since I read it takes about 6-12 hours for them to lay.

I would say she was possibly egg bound, chameleons usually dig tunnels and lay their eggs. It seems she was in a hurry to let these eggs go.

People usually have a lay bin in the enclosure with the chameleon so that they can lay whenever needed. I’d try to put the lay bin in the enclosure to see if she needs to lay some more. If she gets worse, she’s possibly egg bound and would need a vet.
I would say she was in a hurry too, nobody let us know that female chameleons need to lay eggs even when they’ve never been with a male, I thought she was dehydrated for a week since she started acting weird.

Attachments

• FD52187C-1629-4256-AB27-FB7AFE7EFAEE.jpeg
    FD52187C-1629-4256-AB27-FB7AFE7EFAEE.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 16D2931C-3DC0-45F3-B0B9-6AE9FD55BD03.jpeg
    16D2931C-3DC0-45F3-B0B9-6AE9FD55BD03.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 43E6B3FA-9F8C-43B7-9AC8-84D50C2F8FE9.jpeg
    43E6B3FA-9F8C-43B7-9AC8-84D50C2F8FE9.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 94
Thank you! I was looking for any potential signs of metabolic bone disorder. I don’t see any.
What supplements do you use and how frequently?
What type of uvb light do you have? Is it a screw in bulb or a long tube?

Thank you! I was looking for any potential signs of metabolic bone disorder. I don’t see any.
What supplements do you use and how frequently?
What type of uvb light do you have? Is it a screw in bulb or a long tube?
Thank god, I use this calcium powder on her crickets every other week, a screw in bulb

Ok…we have quite a few changes that need to be made. However, most important is taking care of her in getting the rest of her eggs out. If that doesn’t happen, nothing else will matter. If she doesn’t lay any more eggs by tomorrow afternoon, is staying on the bottom, has her eyes closed during daylight or her back end darkens any more, you need to get her to a vet as soon as possible and have x rays done. I suspect she is egg bound and if so, she will most likely need to have the eggs surgically removed. Time is of the essence. Not only is egg binding painful, but complications can set in quickly and decrease her survival chances. Besides her appearance and all you’ve described of how she’s acting, your husbandry is quite off. Rather than go thru it all with you now, I want you to read thru the modules here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
After your sweet girl is recovered and doing fine, I and many others here would be happy to help you however we can to get your husbandry perfect.
Please do keep us updated.

Ok…we have quite a few changes that need to be made. However, most important is taking care of her in getting the rest of her eggs out. If that doesn’t happen, nothing else will matter. If she doesn’t lay any more eggs by tomorrow afternoon, is staying on the bottom, has her eyes closed during daylight or her back end darkens any more, you need to get her to a vet as soon as possible and have x rays done. I suspect she is egg bound and if so, she will most likely need to have the eggs surgically removed. Time is of the essence. Not only is egg binding painful, but complications can set in quickly and decrease her survival chances. Besides her appearance and all you’ve described of how she’s acting, your husbandry is quite off. Rather than go thru it all with you now, I want you to read thru the modules here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
After your sweet girl is recovered and doing fine, I and many others here would be happy to help you however we can to get your husbandry perfect.
Please do keep us updated.
Do you think they could keep the bird cage as an enclosure? First time I’ve actually seen someone with a bird cage, I’ve only heard talk.

Do you think they could keep the bird cage as an enclosure? First time I’ve actually seen someone with a bird cage, I’ve only heard talk.
While not ideal for a few reasons, I think we can make it work. Getting the lighting situated properly will be the hardest I think. And of course, easy escapes for feeders.

I did a lot of research
Just out of curiosity, during your extensive research, did you came across words like arboreal and foliage? Like @MissSkittles already politically mentioned, first priority is making sure she lays all her eggs, however afterwards we´re very willing to help you correct your husbandry. It´s already surprisingly she´s doing that great for almost a year. That said, you got a very beautiful girl, and I can only say please, follow her advice.
There´s nothing directly wrong with the bird cage, this can work (thought about it many times) and that you did some research we can see regarding a dripper. However like said, first things first and 🤞she lays all her eggs and in meantime please👇👇
Rather than go thru it all with you now, I want you to read thru the modules here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom