Chameleon keeps shutting her eyes!

Jackscham13

I need a little help to calm myself while I wait for my vet appointment time. I just called the vet for an emergency because she keeps shutting both of her eyes. I am not sure what can be wrong but I hope they can figure it out. She’s also starting to show stress colors.

It might be your lights. What kind of lights are you using? Turn them off and see if that helps. I also recommend hanging lights from the ceiling up off the top of the cage. Please post a photo of your girl and her enclosure.

It might be your lights. What kind of lights are you using? Turn them off and see if that helps. I also recommend hanging lights from the ceiling up off the top of the cage. Please post a photo of your girl and her enclosure.
I have a t5 bulb and a 75 watt heat bulb. This was her a few hours ago and her enclosure as well

Attachments

• 4868C6B6-DA3C-44B0-985C-261477C25AA6.jpeg
    4868C6B6-DA3C-44B0-985C-261477C25AA6.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 71
  • D40F000F-67AB-4E50-91CC-304CB41C403F.jpeg
    D40F000F-67AB-4E50-91CC-304CB41C403F.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 92
Please fill out this form so we can better help you. Give as much detail as possible to your answers.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Chameleon info:
- Female kenyun Jackson chameleon, told was about 3-4 months but not sure, been in my care for a little more than a week
- I handle him very minimally so he’s not stressed
- feeding: I have dubia roaches, superworms, and crickets. I currently have no schedule because he doesn’t seem to be wanting to eat. He ate 2 and killed the others he saw and left them the last two feedings.
- I currently only have calcium w/ D3
- I use a spray bottle for now until his fogger is on the way, I mist about every 3 hours for 1 minute to 1:30 seconds. I do see him drink from his plant quite often.
- fecal description: brown/ black sometimes has white.
- Cage: 16x16x20 mesh
- Lighting: UVB 5.0 bulb and 75 watt heat lamp. Lights on 7am lights out 7pm
- Temp: basking spot 82.7 F and cooler area around 78.9 F
- Humidity: it’s fairly low since I was told when he sheds he needs a lower humidity 25-30%
- I do have a live plant Golden Pathos
- Cage is placed in my room, top of enclosure about 50 in from the floor , no air vents by the enclosure
- I am located in Las Vegas NV

Is she still not eating too?
Is she sitting under the basking light when she's doing it or does she have them shut all the time no matter where she is?

Is she still not eating too?
Is she sitting under the basking light when she's doing it or does she have them shut all the time no matter where she is?
She’s in the vet right now but at first it was just under the light and then I had her in my hand and she closed both eyes for like 10 seconds and wouldn’t move them. She still won’t eat anything I hope they find out what’s wrong and I hope she’s okay.

Did you tell them she's likely gravid and to check her mouth for damage?
they said that she doesn’t seem to be gravid but not to rule it out. And they checked her mouth and said it was normal and they said everything seems to be normal and she is also fine with being handled. They are giving me some antibiotics for her to take by mouth. They said that they can’t find anything at all and shes too small to get any blood work done or anything. So I’m hoping the antibiotics work well.

Did you tell them she's likely gravid and to check her mouth for damage?
So update she still keeps closing her eyes but the vet wasn’t alarmed much should I not be alarmed then? I got her new food and she didn’t seem to want any right now and like I can get her to move around after I get her to open her eyes I just want want to sleep worrying because her lights go out in 15 minutes

In case she is gravid I think you should handle her as little as possible or she may abort the babies.
I also hope that the antibiotic won't heart the babies if she is gravid. What antibiotic is it?

What is the new food?

In case she is gravid I think you should handle her as little as possible or she may abort the babies.
I also hope that the antibiotic won't heart the babies if she is gravid. What antibiotic is it?

What is the new food?
The antibiotic they gave me is below , I only handled her a lot today because of the vet visit and me being scared but other than that I leave her alone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 59
Did you take a poop for a fecal? She is most likely WC and has parasites. If you didn’t take one today, call in the morning and see if you can drop off a fresh poop for a fecal.

Did you take a poop for a fecal? She is most likely WC and has parasites. If you didn’t take one today, call in the morning and see if you can drop off a fresh poop for a fecal.
I did not I’ll have to call tomorrow and ask if they can test it. They told me when she was in the vets she only shut her eyes once. But once I got her in my car she kept closing her eyes still. I am just still worried about her closing her eyes a lot. Her lights just shut off so she has to sleep anyways. Should I still be as worried as I am now ? And is there anything else I can do at this moment?

I did not I’ll have to call tomorrow and ask if they can test it. They told me when she was in the vets she only shut her eyes once. But once I got her in my car she kept closing her eyes still. I am just still worried about her closing her eyes a lot. Her lights just shut off so she has to sleep anyways. Should I still be as worried as I am now ? And is there anything else I can do at this moment?
I’d move those light up and get that fecal.

Back
Top Bottom