Chameleon jungle

symphonica

Just wanted to share some pics. I'm fortunate enough to have a furnished basement all for my chams. The "jungle" is about a quarter of the room. I've never measured the dimensions of the area, but perhaps I should.

Anyways, 8 fake ficus (because I can't keep live plants alive to save my life).

Lights are hung from ceiling and cords are pinned tightly to wall so it's very difficult for them to climb. Mixture of Arcadia 6% and 10.0 ReptiSun T5HO for lighting, plus 75-100W incandescent for heat.

The perimeter of the area has an acrylic border/edging around it so that even if the chams were to climb down from the trees, they can't climb the acrylic wall to escape. They've never attempted to - they're quite content on their ficus.

Six misting nozzles pointing every which direction are secured to the top of the ficus or light fixtures so that it "rains" for 2 minutes every hour. There are also two humidifiers underneath the trees.

Each tree has a feeding cup secured to it.

Currently home to two ambilobes and one nosy be. Soon to be four ambilobes, since I have one that's still a bit too small to be free ranged with these big guys.

I think that about covers the basics.
It's so hard to capture the depth of the jungle with the camera...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393914684.721717.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393914724.121774.jpg
eda6e8az.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393914714.571859.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393914714.571859.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 328
It is a lot of fun, but I do worry about the potential damage it's doing to the room. Ceiling and walls are not appreciating the humidity.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they're coming out so small and grainy. They look find on my iphone. Because it's such a large area that doesn't fit into the camera's view, I had to use the panoramic view of the camera. I'll try again to maybe just take shots in sections and combining them using a photo editing software.

Issues

all the same kind of chameleons... and what would happen if you mixed the species? Fights... or other issues?

all the same kind of chameleons... and what would happen if you mixed the species? Fights... or other issues?
You know I have always wondered this same question. When they are housed in this communal free range - How do you keep the males from hurting each other?
Mine free range each on there own tree and separated enough that they can't reach each other. And I do keep a close eye on them. I have a female too that is just a scrapper and dislikes when others are near if she is not receptive.

Anyone have answers to this?
Thanks

OMG your jungle is beautiful; I'm jealous!!! It makes my veiled's cage look like it's the size of a teacup.... and technically my whole family could fit inside Iggy's cage (Iggy=my veiled) so that means a lot!!!!!!:):D

Back
Top Bottom