Chameleon is loosing his spikes

I feel so bad for my Chamaeleon he’s been losing his spikes. I moved his basking lights and lowered his limbs so that he’s nowhere near the lights. But the damage has been done. I tried putting Neosporin on his back and it doesn’t seem to help. I’m very worried about him and I don’t know what to do would it help to put hydrogen peroxide on his spine. We went to the local vet last week and she said it was a little abnormal but nothing to be concerned about. What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 91
Thermal burn. Good job moving the lights but this is always something us chameleon keepers worry over. It's imperative we use digital probe thermometers as well as infrared heat guns to monitor these temps. Also consider a thermostat.

What you're looking for and needing is called Silvadine

I feel so bad for my Chamaeleon he’s been losing his spikes. I moved his basking lights and lowered his limbs so that he’s nowhere near the lights. But the damage has been done. I tried putting Neosporin on his back and it doesn’t seem to help. I’m very worried about him and I don’t know what to do would it help to put hydrogen peroxide on his spine. We went to the local vet last week and she said it was a little abnormal but nothing to be concerned about. What should I do?
If the tissue supporting a spine was badly burned and is now dead, he'll lose the spine. Can't really prevent that. You CAN prevent secondary infection using Silvadene, but if you can't get that (check with local vets) Polysporin is OK. I prefer Polysporin over Neosporin but either one will basically help prevent infection. Silvadene is best. Don't put hydrogen peroxide on tissues that are actively healing. It can actually kill the newly forming tissue layers.

Abnormal? What is abnormal? That your cham shows signs of being burned? That his spines are falling off? That Neosporin isn't preventing spine loss? Dead tissue is dead tissue. Can't change that, just keep things clean and protected and wait for it to heal. It will take quite a while due to their slower metabolism. Sounds like this vet doesn't have much experience with reptiles (which isn't surprising...most vets don't).

Back
Top Bottom