Chameleon in bad shape

Hi,
Had my chameleon for about 4 weeks now. Think he's dying he's in bad shape. Just misted some water in his mouth. Hasn't eat crickets in days don't know what to do. How get him to eat.
Using reptisun 5.0 and 100 watt heat bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_182435984.jpg
    IMG_20191218_182435984.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 212
Skin and bones....

We need the following info but before I go any further know that we can only address your husbandry, you should still see a vet ASAP. If you don’t he will not be alive long enough to implement the husbandry fixes.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Your chameleon needs help right away...I would get him to a good chameleon vet ASAP...like yesterday. Sorry to have to tell you that.

In the meantime answer the questions in the post by brodybreaux25 please.

Skin and bones....

We need the following info but before I go any further know that we can only address your husbandry, you should still see a vet ASAP. If you don’t he will not be alive long enough to implement the husbandry fixes.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species veiled , sex male, and age few months of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 4 weeks
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Feed crickets always dusted with calcium without d3 and with d3 once a week.
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repcal daily
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? 30 seconds with the mistking pump

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown and grey Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Company provided none

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 16' 16' 32'
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Reptisun uvb
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 95 basking and 78 bottom

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40-50%
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Off the floor by 3 feet
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? Central america

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Chameleon hasn't eaten and is very weak.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Your chameleon needs help right away...I would get him to a good chameleon vet ASAP...like yesterday. Sorry to have to tell you that.

In the meantime answer the questions in the post by brodybreaux25 please.
Can't take him to a vet. My dog recently having a auto immune issue where he's going to the vet weekly and on meds I can't get him off of until vet says so. That's been 2600 over past two weeks. This happen week later after getting this lizard. Nothing I can do for the Cham atm. Thanks for the advice tho kinda figured he wasn't going to make it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_192615826.jpg
    IMG_20191218_192615826.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 131
If you're not going to take him to the vets to help him please at least take him to have him put down properly.

Don't spray water into his mouth...drip it on the end of his nose at a slow rate..one or two drips per second.

Use this...
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html
Exotic vet is booked tonight. Trying with emergency vet now. Close one can't treat reptiles. Trying get someone here to keep a eye on the dog keeping him supervised 24/7.

Good luck...
Also...sorry to hear about your dog.hope it will be ok.
Thank you dogs in bad shape 50/50 chance his platelets won't decrease like they did. Once off these meds. He doesn't eat much just drinks alot of water with side effect of thirst. Been hard lately and my mind isn't in right place.

Have you tried slipping a cricket (head first) in BETWEEN the chameleon's teeth when he's drinking?

Last edited:
Oh my god.. that poor thing. Doesn't look like he's got any meat on his bones at all.

How long has he looked like this? Had it not clicked in your brain that he was sick, and this isn't normal? This did not happen overnight.

In the meantime you need to try and feed him some more crickets(not just the head), if he spits them out, don't stress him out more. Leave him be, and keep him cool.

If you wont take him to the vet, he will die. When you buy (or adopt) an animal, you need to be prepared that it might get sick, and need veterinary care. Im sure you didn't see paying almost 3k on your dog lately, but you did it, because he's your pet and you love him. If you really don't want to, or cant, take this poor thing to the vet to get looked at, take him to the vet for them to put him down humanely. Im sure dying slowly from starvation and sickness isn't fun.

Sorry for my blunt tone, just giving my opinion. Have a nice day

Oh my god.. that poor thing. Doesn't look like he's got any meat on his bones at all.

How long has he looked like this? Had it not clicked in your brain that he was sick, and this isn't normal? This did not happen overnight.

In the meantime you need to try and feed him some more crickets(not just the head), if he spits them out, don't stress him out more. Leave him be, and keep him cool.

If you wont take him to the vet, he will die. When you buy (or adopt) an animal, you need to be prepared that it might get sick, and need veterinary care. Im sure you didn't see paying almost 3k on your dog lately, but you did it, because he's your pet and you love him. If you really don't want to, or cant, take this poor thing to the vet to get looked at, take him to the vet for them to put him down humanely. Im sure dying slowly from starvation and sickness isn't fun.

Sorry for my blunt tone, just giving my opinion. Have a nice day
I offered crickets daily just didn't dawn on me. Misting system was only dripping not misting noticed that yesterday. Tried feeding a small cricket this morning but barely had any movement. Just got home and he passed. Wish I could of done more and had this taken care of last night. Thanks for the replys. Don't think my experience and research we're good enough to own a reptile.

Back
Top Bottom