Chameleon Identification

Yesterday a friend who went to the zoo in Memphis posted this picture on facebook. She called it a chameleon and she insists that the sign said it is a chameleon. She is a scientist and she is not prone to misunderstanding such things so I trust that she knows what she's talking about but I've never seen a chameleon with these toes and tail - or leg posture, for that matter. Am I missing something or is this a chameleon imposter?

Attachments

• Memphis Zoo.jpg
    Memphis Zoo.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 157
Hard to tell what it is only seeing his butt.... But it is definitely not an Old World Chameleon. Sometimes anoles are called chameleons too. Thats why the chameleon we know are sometimes referred to as Old World chameleons.

Hard to tell what it is only seeing his butt.... But it is definitely not an Old World Chameleon. Sometimes anoles are called chameleons too. Thats why the chameleon we know are sometimes referred to as Old World chameleons.

Yeah, I totally agree. Thanks. I wish my friend had gotten a pic of the whole thing. I'd love to know what it actually is.

So, I googled "anole feet" and this popped up. I'm gonna go with a yes on this being a large anole.

Attachments

• anolfoot.jpg
    anolfoot.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 99
It's probably a Cuban false chameleon (Chamaeleolis barbatus), from the relatively short tail and the anole feet, so that would be my guess.

They are anoles and not true chameleons :)

Back
Top Bottom