Chameleon Hiccup?

Hi everyone!

Currently having an issue with my female panther chameleon. I’ve noticed in the last few weeks after she laid her second clutch she’s been doing almost like a coughing/wheezing type noise. It looks almost like she’s hiccuping but a noise comes out. She will do it 3 or 4 times and then stop. She will also do kind of a slight deep breath every couple mins but then stop for a while. She also swallows randomly without any food. I’m hoping this doesn’t mean mucus is building up. I have a humidifier and my room is a constant 75-80. I have a misting system and clean the enclosure weekly with disinfectant. Has proper UVB and heat. She’s not lethargic, no sunken eyes, and not sticking her nose in the air. I’m also curious if maybe she is growing eggs and potentially that’s restricting her breathing a bit. I have videos but I’m unsure how to post them to this thread. We have a vet appt to be safe. Any help would be awesome!

Sounds like the start of an upper respiratory infection to me.

You want low humidity during the day with higher temperatures. At night you want high humidity and low temperatures.

High temps and high humidity allows bacteria and mold to grow as well as creates an environment for an URI.

Do you have a vet with Chameleon experience to take her to?

Back
Top Bottom