Chameleon health

Georgia1012

Hi could anyone help us with our chameleon? We have had him/her roughly 6 months (purchased him second hand) and everything has been find up until now when he/she has started to act abit strangely.
He/she has been laying on there branch with head quite low to the branch and eyes closed .. some times one eyes open and the others closed and most of the time it switches witch eye is closed. We initially thought stomach problems/in pain. However when we get him/her out to hold (loves being held) they are absolutely fine both eyes open climbing around as usual. They are mid shed and havent shedded for quite some time and is taking there time to shed (our humidity and temp are absolutely fine from what we have researched ) we have also started to dab warm water onto shedding parts of there skin with cotton buds to help the shed process which has helped but still acting the same strangely with closing eyes .. he/she has calcium vitamin d3 and other multi vitamins with each feed. Mainly eats crickets and wax worms as a treat but never really taken a interest much towards the wax worms. There still eating absolutely fine too. We mist with our misting system 3 sometimes 4 times daily for around 5-10 minutes and they love it. Urine is also a great white colour . If anyone can help that would be great .. also we would love to find out the sex of our panther if anyone could help? We initially thought he/she was a female as they was mostly orange/browns when 1st got them but now there mainly greens/blues and some oranges thank you! .. close up image of eye was when we first noticed it (couple of days ago)

Attachments

• 20211115_230518.jpg
    20211115_230518.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20211115_230704.jpg
    20211115_230704.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20211113_200116.jpg
    20211113_200116.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20211111_121951.jpg
    20211111_121951.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 113
Hi and welcome. I believe you do have a female. Males don’t generally have any pink or peaches to their color. In order to try and figure out what may be going on, I need to ask you to answer the following in as much detail as possible. Pics of the entire enclosure, including lights is also a big help.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

So our lights are brand exo terra we have 1 uvb 100 and the natural light one she has 12 hours on and 12 hours off
She eats crickets and roughly 5/6 daily
Our tank is glass with a mesh top and we are located in UK
Humidity levels are 60 and temp is 27
We have live plants

So our lights are brand exo terra we have 1 uvb 100 and the natural light one she has 12 hours on and 12 hours off
She eats crickets and roughly 5/6 daily
Our tank is glass with a mesh top and we are located in UK
Humidity levels are 60 and temp is 27
We have live plants
What supplements do you use? How do you water? Is it all glass or does it have ventilation towards the bottom? I know the form is long but details are really the only way we can help. Could you also take a photo of your "tank" from the lights down please?

We water with a misting system as I said in my main post and we use exo terra multivitamins and I cant remember the name of our calcium powder the tank is all glass with a mesh top with a door that opens at the front .. rough image of her tank could get a better one in the morning.. we do usually have lots of leaves and vines on the back glass for her to hide in but these were getting cleaned in this photo

Attachments

• 20211112_115503.jpg
    20211112_115503.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 113
I know it’s a pain in the butt, but we really need much more detailed info to be able to help. For example, is your uvb a linear or screw in bulb? Is the fixture a T5, T8 or something else? What is the schedule of your supplements? Etc.

I have no idea what the fixture is the bulb screws in and crickets are dusted with supplements with every feed (ever cricket is dusted before eaten)

Does anyone have any idea or the slightest idea what could be wrong with her ? Is her body shutting down and shes going to die or does it seem like something that may pass

The reason folks keep asking about the lights and supplements is that those can impact the chameleon's health, skeleton, and eyes. Your chameleon might have metabolic bone disease if they don't have the right light. Your chameleon might have vitamin A deficiency causing eye issues. We need allllll the pics of everything and the detail to be able to give advice.

This is not the kind of behavior that just passes. You'll need to correct your issues in husbandry and care or she will likely decline and eventually die. They are very sensitive and need particular care.

We have looked into vitamin A problems but couldn't find much information about it i just want to know from looking at the photos and what iv already said does it look like mbd as to me it dosnt her legs are strong and not rubbery .. I understand you need to know but im unsure myself which is why I'm asking .. its currently 1am where I am and my charm is currently sleeping I cant get photos right now I just thought I'd at least get some answers to my questions

We have looked into vitamin A problems but couldn't find much information about it i just want to know from looking at the photos and what iv already said does it look like mbd as to me it dosnt her legs are strong and not rubbery .. I understand you need to know but im unsure myself which is why I'm asking .. its currently 1am where I am and my charm is currently sleeping I cant get photos right now I just thought I'd at least get some answers to my questions
I understand it's late, but that's the thing we can't give you answers until we have more information. The eye is an issue and it does look like your chameleon has some issues and I believe you have the wrong light and a less than suitable enclosure. But we need all the information asked for. The forum members can be very knowledgeable and can help but not without detailed answers to the questions and pictures.

So getting to the point where the legs are all rubbery and askew due to MBD takes time. The body steals calcium from the bones if it can't process calcium it gets from the supplements. If you have a screw in bulb that is likely an issue. Without the right UVB light, a linear T5 light, your cham can't process calcium powder that you're putting on the crickets.

Having the right light, supplement schedule, and nutritious variety of feeders can all make a huge difference and even ailing chameleons can get better.

But we do need you to go thru the husbandry form step by step with precision or we might not give you the right advice.

Going to the vet is always a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom