Chameleon hates me

I’ve had my tamatave panther for a while now. At first he wanted nothing to do with me, then I started taking him outside a bunch and his attitude changed. He would want out of the cage whenever he saw me. At one point he would climb down from his vines and sit on my chest and just stare at me.

Unfortunately we had to take him to the vet because of a respiratory infection about a week ago and I’ve been giving him oral antibiotics ever since. He seems to be afraid of me now and doesn’t even want out of his cage. He’s moving slower and is usually dark in color. Although he is still eating and drinking I am worried. Will you hate me forever? Or will things go back to the way they were once he gets off his medication and I start taking him outside again?

Well they are well known for their grumpiness, how old is he? They hold their grudges like crazy, and they have a period called the “teenage years” (I’m sure there’s another name for it) where their moods change like crazy, don’t take it personally lol.

Well they are well known for their grumpiness, how old is he? They hold their grudges like crazy, and they have a period called the “teenage years” (I’m sure there’s another name for it) where their moods change like crazy, don’t take it personally lol.
He’s 10 months. I wouldn’t be to happy if I were in his shoes either with the antibiotics. I’m just hoping that things go back to the way they were.

People like to say go slow and work your way up to trust. And I don't have a problem with that either, however, I've found that forced love works the best on my chameleons... Get them outside to their favorite perch in the sun. No matter how much of a fight they put up, obviously don't hurt them and be gentle, but put on some gloves if you have to and get him out. As long as he goes somewhere he loves(usually outside), he will associate you with something good. I have kept 5 chams, I had 1 that would try to bite. This got him crawling out onto my arm almost overnight. With my first I did the slow trust building method, which worked, but it took a patient several weeks/months. The forced love accomplished the same in a few days lol. I am also a believer that it is just some chameleons disposition. Many of us will take credit for our chameleons that seem to enjoy handling. We act like there is some sort of magic touch. Reality of it is that we probably got lucky. Chameleons aren't tegus/monitors/other intelligent lizards and do not form social bonds. They just form an association of good or bad, some never break out of the solitary animal mindset, no matter what you do, and will not like you. A good example of this, veiled and panther you often see as a hit or miss with being easy going, but how many other species are walking onto people happily? oustalets/melleri maybe, but idk about many others. My Parsons has walked on my hand maybe twice, and doesn't mind me being near him. That's about the best you'll get from a Parsons. It's genetically ingrained in some species to just not gracefully walk onto another living animal(us) no matter what we do.

Edit:

Also, he's sick and recovering, on medication, probable feeling weak and vulnerable... of course he's not going to feel comfortable around a large predator ATM.

I just noticed you said he was sick. My initial post was just my basic view on handling chameleons since we see a lot of posts bring it up.

People like to say go slow and work your way up to trust. And I don't have a problem with that either, however, I've found that forced love works the best on my chameleons... Get them outside to their favorite perch in the sun. No matter how much of a fight they put up, obviously don't hurt them and be gentle, but put on some gloves if you have to and get him out. As long as he goes somewhere he loves(usually outside), he will associate you with something good. I have kept 5 chams, I had 1 that would try to bite. This got him crawling out onto my arm almost overnight. With my first I did the slow trust building method, which worked, but it took a patient several weeks/months. The forced love accomplished the same in a few days lol. I am also a believer that it is just some chameleons disposition. Many of us will take credit for our chameleons that seem to enjoy handling. We act like there is some sort of magic touch. Reality of it is that we probably got lucky. Chameleons aren't tegus/monitors/other intelligent lizards and do not form social bonds. They just form an association of good or bad, some never break out of the solitary animal mindset, no matter what you do, and will not like you. A good example of this, veiled and panther you often see as a hit or miss with being easy going, but how many other species are walking onto people happily? oustalets/melleri maybe, but idk about many others. My Parsons has walked on my hand maybe twice, and doesn't mind me being near him. That's about the best you'll get from a Parsons. It's genetically ingrained in some species to just not gracefully walk onto another living animal(us) no matter what we do.

Edit:

Also, he's sick and recovering, on medication, probable feeling weak and vulnerable... of course he's not going to feel comfortable around a large predator ATM.

I just noticed you said he was sick. My initial post was just my basic view on handling chameleons since we see a lot of posts bring it up.
James is the one who finally made me get up the nerve to just force Pesto to come out to go outside with me and it worked like a charm. He was never an aggressive cham, but has always been wary and this made him much more willing to come out.
But like he said, give him some time to recover from being sick first. He is already being stressed out enough from medications etc, just leave him be for now :)

Back
Top Bottom