Chameleon hasn't eaten in a long time

I've had my chameleon for a long time now, he's basically an adult. Recently has quit eating, I'd say it's been about, a week and a half? He's looks perfectly fine and all, he just wont eat any food, he doesn't even look to me as if he's lost any weight. I took this picture of him today while he was sleeping -

IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

What's the basking temperature in the cage? Anything change in his habitat lately? Any substrate in the cage?
About how old is he?

What's the basking temperature in the cage? Anything change in his habitat lately? Any substrate in the cage?
About how old is he?
the basking temperature is about 80-90, I have noticed no change in his recent habits, there is no substrate in the cage, The chameleon is a year old I think? Gosh I really don't remember, that's an iffy guess.

He shouldn't be sleeping during the day. How long has he been doing that?
How's his tongue working now?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? Be specific. What do you feed/gutload the insects with?
You have lots of artificial plants in his cage I think...could he have eaten any? Is he pooping?

He shouldn't be sleeping during the day. How long has he been doing that?
How's his tongue working now?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? Be specific. What do you feed/gutload the insects with?
You have lots of artificial plants in his cage I think...could he have eaten any? Is he pooping?
I did not take this photo during the day, it was 9 pm. For supplements I use a bucket of reptile calcium I bought online that I give him every other time I feed him. There are some fake plants in the cage, I've only ever notice him eat the pathos. I gutload the insects with mostly potato and sometimes a little carrot. I have not seen him eat in a long time, even when he did eat he didn't like to do it when I was there. I'm thinking to get a good look at the mouth should i make him angry? or will that only make the problem worse? As for the poop, how do i tell if the samples are fresh? it all looks the same to me, and I don't see that much of it, but it's a pretty big cage and there could be a lot that I can't see.

P.S - looking back at the photo, do you think that lump towards the back good be some kind of impaction? God I'm so worried I love my little guy so much.

He could be on a hunger strike. Try giving him something other than crickets and see if he goes for it. My concern is him sleeping with the lights on. Or did you just turn them on to get a picture? I clean up the poop every time he goes so whenever he goes again I know it's a fresh one.

Is the calcium phosphorous-free?
Your feeding/gutloading needs improvement. You can feed crickets, superworms, locusts, roaches a wide assortment of greens and veggies such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc and a bit of fruit such as apple, pear, berries, melon.
Do you have a UVB light? Has it been replaced when it should be?
How's the tongue now?

Not to steal the thread, but how can I tell if my calcium is phosphorous free? Just by looking at the ingredients? Or will it not be listed and there's just some brands that contain it?

My girl did the same thing, she had a hunger strike for a month, when I got crickets she started eating again
She was just tired of roaches, she want something diferent
Try to change food

Back
Top Bottom