Chameleon Hasnt eaten in 4 days, Breathing weird and is refusing all types of food

no none at all. I have even put him super close to my ear.
So the best thing would be for you to fill out the form below by copy pasting it into your reply. But crawling on the top is not good. Something has him upset. Can you take pictures of the entire enclosure lighting down please. Has anything changed in his environment or the room in the last 5 days since this started?

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Ambanja Panther Chameleon. 7months old. 4 months of care by me.
  • Handling - whenever he comes towards me and wants my hands he free ranges around on his wooden tree or goes outside with me which Is 3-5 times a week.
  • Feeding - I usually give him a cup with 10 crickets and 2 superworms to give him a little choice. I used to only feed crickets and mealworms as treats but he got bored of that. I offer him food daily multiple times through the day until about 4pm. he never usually eats all his food in one meal. I gut load my feeders with highlighter dust which is a combo of greens and bee pollen and some carrots and healthy things that the breeder feeds his bugs.
  • Supplements - I dust his feeders with minerall-outdoor calcium daily and give him herptivite multivitamin every wednesday.
  • Watering - I give him a water glass full to the brim every morning and he drinks from it and then he is misted throughout the day and sometimes drinks, then I offer him his glass another time at night which he sometimes takes. i mist 4 times a day (1am, 8am,2pm,9pm all for 2 minutes). yes I see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - his fecals look good other than slight orange in his urates the past few days.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 screen with some cardboard covers on the sideto keep basking spot warm.
  • Lighting - 65watt eco incandescent white bulb with 8 inch dome for heat. and a t5 high output reptisun hood with a 24w t5 high output bulb 5.0.
  • Temperature - basking spot is 85-87. ambeint temps are 70-75 throughout the day and at night it gets down to about 68. I measure this with a temp gun.
  • Humidity - humidity is 45-70%in the day and about 60-70% at night.
  • Plants - A big umbrella tree in the center.
  • Placement - The cage is on a table about 2 feet off the ground and the top of the cage is about 6 feet tall. not by and vents or airways. and the only traffic is me playing video games or doing homework at my desk in his room.
  • Location - Eugene, Oregon
Current Problem - He is refusing food and breathing weird. he still drinks everyday but has been screen climbing frequently too but he usually only climbs on top of the screen when I'm doing stuff in his cage that he doesn't like which includes cleaning the bottom. he climbs on the door sometimes too but alot more recently.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 74
So the best thing would be for you to fill out the form below by copy pasting it into your reply. But crawling on the top is not good. Something has him upset. Can you take pictures of the entire enclosure lighting down please. Has anything changed in his environment or the room in the last 5 days since this started?

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I posted the answers to this in a post below but forgot to reply.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Ambanja Panther Chameleon. 7months old. 4 months of care by me.
  • Handling - whenever he free ranges around on his wooden tree or goes outside which Is 3-5 times a week. Does his free-range have proper UVB?
  • Feeding - I usually give him a cup with 10 crickets and 2 superworms to give him a little choice. I used to only feed crickets and mealworms as treats but he got bored of that. I offer him food daily multiple times through the day until about 4pm. he never usually eats all his food in one meal. I gut load my feeders with highlighter dust which is a combo of greens and bee pollen and some carrots and healthy things that the breeder feeds his bugs. He only needs to be fed once a day. With the Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-All Outdoor, you need to gutload with Sticky Tongue Farms Vit-All gutload, prepared properly
  • Supplements - I dust his feeders with minerall-outdoor calcium daily and give him herptivite multivitamin every wednesday. With Miner-All and Vit-All used together, you don't need a multivitamin or any extra supplements, just the Miner-All
  • Watering - I give him a water glass full to the brim every morning and he drinks from it and then he is misted throughout the day and sometimes drinks, then I offer him his glass another time at night which he sometimes takes. i mist 4 times a day (1am, 8am,2pm,9pm all for 2 minutes). yes I see him drink. How often do you clean his water glass, and how long is each misting session?
  • Fecal Description - his fecals look good other than slight orange in his urates the past few days. How much orange was there?
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 screen with some cardboard covers on the sideto keep basking spot warm.
  • Lighting - 65watt eco incandescent white bulb with 8 inch dome for heat. and a t5 high output reptisun hood with a 24w t5 high output bulb 5.0. What is the age of his UVB bulb, and how far away is the bulb from his basking branch?
  • Temperature - basking spot is 85-87. ambeint temps are 70-75 throughout the day and at night it gets down to about 68. I measure this with a temp gun.
  • Humidity - humidity is 45-70%in the day and about 60-70% at night. 45% is a little low during the day, and 70% is high for during the day. 50-60/65% is preferred for during the day
  • Placement - The cage is on a table about 2 feet off the ground and the top of the cage is about 6 feet tall. not by and vents or airways. and the only traffic is me playing video games or doing homework at my desk in his room.
Current Problem - He is refusing food and breathing weird. he still drinks everyday but has been screen climbing frequently too. Could he have something stuck in his throat?

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - whenever he free ranges around on his wooden tree or goes outside which Is 3-5 times a week. Does his free-range have proper UVB? when he free ranges inside the house he has no uvb but its only for about 30-45 mins and when we go outside he just has the sun.
  • Feeding - I usually give him a cup with 10 crickets and 2 superworms to give him a little choice. I used to only feed crickets and mealworms as treats but he got bored of that. I offer him food daily multiple times through the day until about 4pm. he never usually eats all his food in one meal. I gut load my feeders with highlighter dust which is a combo of greens and bee pollen and some carrots and healthy things that the breeder feeds his bugs. He only needs to be fed once a day. With the Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-All Outdoor, you need to gutload with Sticky Tongue Farms Vit-All gutload, prepared properly
    • Supplements - I dust his feeders with minerall-outdoor calcium daily and give him herptivite multivitamin every wednesday. With Miner-All and Vit-All used together, you don't need a multivitamin or any extra supplements, just the Miner-All. i will buy some of that forsure.
    • Watering - I give him a water glass full to the brim every morning and he drinks from it and then he is misted throughout the day and sometimes drinks, then I offer him his glass another time at night which he sometimes takes. i mist 4 times a day (1am, 8am,2pm,9pm all for 2 minutes). yes I see him drink. How often do you clean his water glass, and how long is each misting session? each session is 2 minutes, I clean his water glass weekly.
    • Fecal Description - his fecals look good other than slight orange in his urates the past few days. How much orange was there? the urate was mostly white with just a bit of orange on the end close to the poop.
    • Cage Info:
      • Lighting - 65watt eco incandescent white bulb with 8 inch dome for heat. and a t5 high output reptisun hood with a 24w t5 high output bulb 5.0. What is the age of his UVB bulb, and how far away is the bulb from his basking branch? I just swapped his uvb that was 4 months old yesterday. and his uvb is about 6 inches from the spot and sits on the top of screen.
      • Humidity - humidity is 45-70%in the day and about 60-70% at night. 45% is a little low during the day, and 70% is high for during the day. 50-60/65% is preferred for during the day. Ok I can tighten up the levels of humidity.
    • Current Problem - He is refusing food and breathing weird. he still drinks everyday but has been screen climbing frequently too. Could he have something stuck in his throat? That is one of the things I was thinking originally. he was digging at his plants that were hanging up high before this problem started and then I took them out cause I kept catching him dig trying to bite the roots or something. they were both 4 inch pot with all natural soil and rocks covering the dirt. one was a pothos the other was a spider plant. he was digging at them so I took them out.

Has he ever been tested for parasites, either?
Never been tested for parasites in my care but the breeder tested him before I picked him up.
All of my responses to the main post are after the red text.

I would clean his glass at least once a day minimum. His UVB bulb should be 8-9" away from his basking branch. Also, a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch, is way more accurate than a temp gun. A temp gun measures surface temps, but basking is air temp, which a digital thermometer measures. How do you measure your humidity levels? I would get him tested for parasites just to rule them out, plus Highlighter Chameleons (which is where I think you got him from) has sold sick chams before

I would clean his glass at least once a day minimum. His UVB bulb should be 8-9" away from his basking branch. Also, a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch, is way more accurate than a temp gun. A temp gun measures surface temps, but basking is air temp, which a digital thermometer measures. How do you measure your humidity levels? I would get him tested for parasites just to rule them out, plus Highlighter Chameleons (which is where I think you got him from) has sold sick chams before
Okay I will get him tested for parasites for sure. and start cleaning his glass daily. What do you think this breathing is from. he doesn't do it when he's just relaxing only when he's moving a lot or hanging in a weird position. if he hasn't eaten more that 1 superworm and 1 mealworm in the past 6 days should I be concerned?

Okay I will get him tested for parasites for sure. and start cleaning his glass daily. What do you think this breathing is from. he doesn't do it when he's just relaxing only when he's moving a lot or hanging in a weird position. if he hasn't eaten more that 1 superworm and 1 mealworm in the past 6 days should I be concerned?
One week is fine, but neither of those bugs are good staples, only as treats. Have you tried other worms or roaches, moths/flies, mantids, stick bugs, etc? Here's a great feeder chart! As for the breathing, I don't know. When you take him in to check his fecal (bring a fresh one with you), have the vet (who needs to be experienced with chams) do a check-up and voice your concerns

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 48
One week is fine, but neither of those bugs are good staples, only as treats. Have you tried other worms or roaches, moths/flies, mantids, stick bugs, etc? Here's a great feeder chart! As for the breathing, I don't know. When you take him in to check his fecal (bring a fresh one with you), have the vet (who needs to be experienced with chams) do a check-up and voice your concerns
Ok will do. Yeah I have treid crickets, super worms, horn worms, black fly larva, and dubia roaches and he looks at it like he's interested for half a second then looks away and doesn't care anymore.

possibly I guess if he was digging in the dirt. what do I do if that happened or how can I know? do you think I should just take him to the vet Monday if he doesn't start eating and improving?
I have no idea. I say take him to the vet on Monday (obviously sooner if he progresses) and see if they can x-ray his lungs/body, along with checking out everything else, to find the cause

Back
Top Bottom