Chameleon has recently started climbing cage walls

hameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled .I adopted him from the local petco on June 20th, Im not sure of his exact age but from his size I estimate somewhere around 8 months.
  • Handling - Maybe once or twice a week if I'm lucky enough for him to wander out onto a plant in front of his open cage. Sometime I can coax him out with food (although I reward him for coming out with food everytime, once he's out and in his plant I generally take him outside for fresh air and sun.
  • Feeding - Right now hes eating mainly 10-15 medium crickets a day (some come about the size of small ones so thats why the exact amount varies)
  • Supplements - Hes getting calcium without D3 monday through friday, a day off on saturday, and either multivitamin or calium with d3 varying each Sunday.
  • Watering - I manually mist his cage constantly thoughout the day whenever I am home and around, I watch him drink all the time, and moniter his urate colors.
  • Fecal Description - Droppings completely normal, a nice solid brown, with generally white urate occasionally a tint of yellow, which I then make sure to mist even more consistently that day to make up for it.
  • History - n/a

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - LLLreptile screen cage18x18x36in. He was moved into this cage on July 5th.
  • Lighting - Has a UVB bulb and a heatbulb. Not sure of the specific brands but I bought them at petco after research on this site.
  • Temperature -Up until I changed the bulb to a higher watt today, the bottom of the cage is generally 69-71 whatever the room temperature is, and when in his basking spot, his body temperature was usually around 80-83. I measure with an infrared temperature gun.
  • Humidity - Living in OK the humidity is generally always pretty high, I actually lost the guage while cleaning his cage out last time but before that, it would never drop below 40-50 even after not being misted for a day. After mistings it usually raised to somewhere between 60-80 depending on how long it was misted.
  • Plants - He has one live tree; a ficus which he he absoutely loves to eat (Im probably going to have to replace it in the future since its becoming quite bare) Some fake ivy like vines and a couple of small fake plants from his old enclosure on the bottom as well. I have a schleffera that he hangs out in outside of his cage when I take him outside. He also has multiple levels of the fake bendy vines, and a wooden dowel that is his basking beam.
  • Placement - I live in a 3 bedroom 2 story duplex with the whole downstairs being the living room and kitchen combined. He sits in the corner of that room across the the main door that we use to enter on a table thats about 31/2 feet tall so when hes on in his basking spot he is still a few inches above my head while im standing, im 6'2. There is a window on either side of his cage.
  • Location - Oklahoma

Current Problem - The past couple of days my little buddy Reefer has been frantically climbing up and down the sides of his cages and almost butting at the sides near the windows I assume trying to get out. Many of these times if open one of the doors he will come out and he generally tries to climb into the blinds and window. The top of the blinds are only about 6-8 inches above the top of his cage and he usually never goes to the top. He's eating and drinking normally, but I cant figure out what might be causing him to be unhappy. This is recent behavior and didnt occur during his acclimation period to the cage, which was during the summer so I was home and able to check on him often.

In case the issue is a temperature problem (the only thing I can even think of it being) I switched to a higher wattage bulb, but after doing so today, he is still doing it. and actually hanging out in the window as I type this.

Also I'm toying with the idea of removing his cage entirely, and filling up the whole table with various plants, fixing his lighting from the ceiling, and making a pvc jungle gym to hold his vines so he can just have free reign of the the whole corner and if he wants to hangout in the window let him. Thanks for any help in advance guys!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg This is the most recent picture I have of him.

The cages size might be the issue. He might want his 24 •24 •48+ size cage and more free range time. Temp seems right. A picture of the cage might be nice.

If the issue is cage size would my free range idea also be a suitable idea? I don't really have the money for another cage since this one was bought new for this chameleon and school just starting back up, although when I purchased him Petco had originally told me he was a she, so the cage would have hopefully been okay for adult life.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 331
I agree, it's cage size. Male veileds need a minimum of 24x24x48. And for the most part don'tever listen to the people at the big box stores, most don't know what they're talking about

The cage is a good size. The problem is you need way more branches and plants. That size cage, you can keep him in there his whole life with no worries, it's just a little plain...:)
You cannot keep a male veiled in a 18x18x36 setup. A female, yes, definitely not a male.

I agree, it's cage size. Male veileds need a minimum of 24x24x48. And for the most part don'tever listen to the people at the big box stores, most don't know what they're talking about

I realized that very quickly after getting him home and doing further research on this site. Every time I go back for crickets I see their sad little chams and get upset but their literally the only pet shop in our town.

I think I'm going to start working on creating a free range setup to replace his cage then.

I realized that very quickly after getting him home and doing further research on this site. Every time I go back for crickets I see their sad little chams and get upset but their literally the only pet shop in our town.

I think I'm going to start working on creating a free range setup to replace his cage then.
I think that's an excellent idea. I would add more coverage and climbing branches in his enclosure too. It needs to look like a jungle. I have so many plants and vines in mine it's hard for me to find them sometimes. The coverage makes them feel safe.
If money is an issue, look for an old parrot cage at a yard sale and repurpose that into a new larger home. Just wrap it in screen so the bugs can't get out. I did that with my outdoor enclosures.

You click on fourms, then click the category you would like to post in and at the top, there's a post new thread button. Just push that. (y)

Back
Top Bottom