Chameleon has one eye closed

If he doesnt get better than i have to take him to qualified reptile vet. If anyone knows a good one around California that would be great or a list of reptile vets. I literally just got this chameleon about a week ago. When i was holding him he was rubbing his eye/head on my hand while i am thinking awe how cute. Now it all makes sense why he did that. Tsk tsk... and i cant go back to where i got him , all sales are final type of thing :(

If he doesnt get better than i have to take him to qualified reptile vet. If anyone knows a good one around California that would be great or a list of reptile vets. I literally just got this chameleon about a week ago. When i was holding him he was rubbing his eye/head on my hand while i am thinking awe how cute. Now it all makes sense why he did that. Tsk tsk... and i cant go back to where i got him , all sales are final type of thing :(
Wow I went to a petco in Northern California and they paid for the visit to the vet and the medicine and everything! I'm sorry I hope he gets better

Thats awesome that Petco did all of that. Buyer beware... if it says all sales final then stay away. Just from my personal experience. I do <3 my chameleon just wish he was in better spirits. Sadly, i dont have any control what the reptile shop did with him. That is the risk you take if you dont have any recourse. I think out of the whole week i spent with him, we only had one good day which he ate 8 crickets in a day. Surprisingly thats a lot for him because lately hes only been eating 3 to 4 now. So quite a difference but im thinking the vet didnt proper check him out fully. There is more than what meets the eye (no pun intended) lol I really do hope he gets better.

Unfortionatly a lot of reptiles, especially chameleons, end up mistreated at pet stores. They're often kept in tiny glass enclosures that aren't tall enough and don't get fed the correct supplements. My newest boy, Majic, is now 4 months old and I rescued him from a local pet store. His forearms were scorched raw and burnt from the heating lamp, he was malnourished, and when I found him he was in a corner shaking. They were perfectly aware of the burns on his arms, and therefore took his sale label off, yet they never fixed the issue that caused the burns in the first place. It really pisses me off how people can treat such beautiful, elegant, and innocent creatures like they're trash. Keep me updated on both of your chameleons!

@K_Wolf I agree with you. Most of them do not care about the animals and only see them as a business money making item. So sad. I am going to try switching with the right UVB bulb (REPSIUN 5.0 Linear Bulb) and also too , he usually has a "purple black night light" at night that i am going to turn off completely and see how well he does. Maybe he isn't getting a full nights rest and also maybe incorrect lighting. I am not sure when these little guys start to shed but maybe he is shedding? So many variables... since they cannot talk this makes it extremely difficult to pin-point the issue.

@Surferchick I would for sure get rid of the black light, chams respond to light in order to determine if they should be up or asleep. Most likely, he's getting a little confused at night because he's tired but the light may make him think it is still daytime. I turn off all lights in my room at 9:00, and if I want to stay up later I'll use a small desk light. As far as shedding goes, he'll start to shed as he grows bigger, and it happens very quickly. Every chameleon is different, and grow at different rates, but my babies here tend to shed once a month until they are about 8 months. Higher humidity levels will assist your Cham in shedding, so when he starts to shed up the levels a little and he'll get that skin off in no time. :p

@K_Wolf Thanks for that info :D The reptile shop gave me the light and he says just leave on all the time and turn off the UVB light every 10-12 hours. Of course, i find out later that some of his recommendations were not the best. I have the reptirain and reptifogger systems. Does that seem right to you? I live in the desert area so i thought that would be best suited for him and that would help out his shedding process whenever he needs it?

Back
Top Bottom