Chameleon has an odd looking eye

argulor

My little girl has one eye looking somewhat shut and the other open and alert... i have included pictures. what could it be ? if its an eye infection i will take her to a vet tomorrow

Attachments

• 25562EB0-5600-4B1C-94B4-CEA427D8AF72.jpeg
    25562EB0-5600-4B1C-94B4-CEA427D8AF72.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 413EABC0-5AEF-4885-B002-B11DAF651826.jpeg
    413EABC0-5AEF-4885-B002-B11DAF651826.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 74
Is this the same one with a respiratory infection or pneumonia?
What did the vet say to do?

Last edited:
How long have you had this one?
Are you just using calcium on the insects...no vitamin powder twice a month? No supplement with D3 twice a month?

calcium without D3 every day to every other day , multivitamin once a week, and calcium with D3 once a week. i am worried that it is too much

What vitamin A is in the supplements? Looking for beta carotene or retinol, acetate, retinal, retinyl, etc.
What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

Did you handle this one and the other one without hand washing in between? We're they in the same cage? Did you use any "tools" in both cages?

I just have to ask all the questions to help me figure out what might be going on. I'm not a vet and what I say is just my best guess from what I've learned/read/etc.

I thought it might have been the vitamin A but there is some preformed in the vitamin powder...so I don't think so now. Not sure what else it could be.
If someone else doesn't chime in with an answer you may have to ask the vet.

Could be an infection, injury or a number of other things.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

its quite alright, i was planning to call the vet about it anyway , we shall see what they say... thank you for your replies !!

here is another photo of her eye ,,,

Attachments

• CF16A250-4EF7-4245-B006-60B789207877.jpeg
    CF16A250-4EF7-4245-B006-60B789207877.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 119
It looks irregular along the edge of the lower "lid" of the eye. Don't know what it is though. Let me know how you make out at the vets.

thats what i thought too , the vet will call me tomorrow and i will ask them about this girls eye... as for the other girl we will see what her ct scan shows up with

so i talked to the vet about her eye, ive been keeping her hydrated and gently doing saline washes on her eye lids, hoping that some saline will go into her actual eye. after a wash of saline she opens her eye again but it still doesnt look normal. there is no swelling or discharge, her eye just appears squinted

Did she just recently shed? She may have some shed skin stuck in her eye. Or dirt from trying to rub the shed off.

Back
Top Bottom