chameleon hanging on plant 🤦🏻‍♀️

Lexlynn

Established Member
B71CE227-4C52-4009-BED4-0666F8807A7E.jpeg
our BOP has been thriving - maybe too much 😂 as it continues to grow uncontrollably our cham has found a new sleeping spot🤣

How big is your enclosure? Birds of paradise will easily outgrow anything 5’-6’ tall. I would recommend replacing it with veiled-safe plants, as veileds will try to eat anything

How big is your enclosure? Birds of paradise will easily outgrow anything 5’-6’ tall. I would recommend replacing it with veiled-safe plants, as veileds will try to eat anything
I read that it was safe - so that’s why I put it in and yeah it easily is outgrowing my enclosure, looking to replace it for sure. she has not tried to eat any of our plants as of yet. just thought it was funny she actually slept on the leaf like that.

What type of enclosure do you have? Veiled-tested plants are best, as you don’t have to worry about your cham ingesting them. Not all chameleon-safe plants are veiled-tested. Do you want a link?

What type of enclosure do you have? Veiled-tested plants are best, as you don’t have to worry about your cham ingesting them. Not all chameleon-safe plants are veiled-tested. Do you want a link?
2x2x4 reptibreeze I think it’s called ; in process of building a new one for her. I def will take the BOP out probably put it in a fancy pot and do something with it lol. please send link if you could ❤️!

I have a bird of paradise in my veiled enclosure and have had it there for like 8 months now. No harmful effects from what i can tell, whatsoever. I put it in because originally we searched it up and it did not come up as toxic. And personally, based off my experience, it isn't.

I have a bird of paradise in my veiled enclosure and have had it there for like 8 months now. No harmful effects from what i can tell, whatsoever. I put it in because originally we searched it up and it did not come up as toxic. And personally, based off my experience, it isn't.
Is your chameleon actively eating it though? When we say something is safe for a Veiled we do not know what long term potential damage could happen to organs etc. Something we have to be careful of when we recommend plants that are not actually out there as recommended Veiled safe plants. :)

I don't think he eats it... I have not really seen bite marks in that particular plant. When would it show if it is toxic.

He is not a huge plant eater. He will eat some stuff sometimes, but he does not really munch on majority of the plants he has.

I don't think he eats it... I have not really seen bite marks in that particular plant. When would it show if it is toxic.
Depends. My understanding is that it can have an immediate effect of say death... Or if the plants causes harm to the organ function this would be more over time. It is hard because its not like testing is done on this. When one passes people are not specifically studying plants and what eating them does to organs.

There are plants I use for Beman. That he does not eat but I do not openly recommend them to others since theirs may eat them and they could cause issues because they are not veiled tested plants.

Ok. I will not say anything next time then. I did not mean to give people the wrong idea just meant that from my individual experience it has not been harmful to him. That may just be because he does not eat it though. Next time i will not mention it.

Ok. I will not say anything next time then. I did not mean to give people the wrong idea just meant that from my individual experience it has not been harmful to him. That may just be because he does not eat it though. Next time i will not mention it.
Just be careful. You know how some people read stuff and just decide that since you do it they can. :) I am glad it is working for your cham though. They are beautiful plants.

I read that it was safe - so that’s why I put it in and yeah it easily is outgrowing my enclosure, looking to replace it for sure. she has not tried to eat any of our plants as of yet. just thought it was funny she actually slept on the leaf like that.
They start to eat them around sexual maturity as their nutritional needs change. Which is why some chams have slightly different husbandry. But you want to provide different structures for them to grab and rest on ,for proper “paw” growth and formation , when you go to the gym you don’t just jog the track and watch you use the equipment. Give it some equipment.

They start to eat them around sexual maturity as their nutritional needs change. Which is why some chams have slightly different husbandry. But you want to provide different structures for them to grab and rest on ,for proper “paw” growth and formation , when you go to the gym you don’t just jog the track and watch you use the equipment. Give it some equipment.
we have branches and plants everywhere normally she sleeps under leaves in the middle of the cage. our husbandry is good I check temps, humidity every day. I only made the post because I thought it was cute that she slept up there. thank you for the advice

we have branches and plants everywhere normally she sleeps under leaves in the middle of the cage. our husbandry is good I check temps, humidity every day. I only made the post because I thought it was cute that she slept up there. thank you for the advice
One thing I’ve noticed “I blame Facebook idiots” is that you have to note every photo of anything in a haphazard way otherwise risk ridicule. It sucks. However chams are cute little lizzard monkeys who get themselves in precarious circumstances, some cute and some because of bad husbandry.

One thing I’ve noticed “I blame Facebook idiots” is that you have to note every photo of anything in a haphazard way otherwise risk ridicule. It sucks. However chams are cute little lizzard monkeys who get themselves in precarious circumstances, some cute and some because of bad husbandry.
There is often a fine line between criticism and constructive criticism. Here on the forum, I believe we provide more of the latter, although how it’s perceived is up to the reader. There have been times when a cute pic has been innocently posted, which has led to serious husbandry issues being addressed, and (hopefully) corrected.
While some of us may do things not 100% in line with the correct husbandry guidelines, it’s irresponsible to then declare it fine for others to do without pointing out any potential risks.
Now, with all of that said and not wanting to take this thread any further off topic, yes, it is an adorable pic of an adorable little girl cham. :)

Opinions in the archives seem mixed...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1202761/?q=bird+of+paradise&o=relevance

There's one thread with huge lists of safe & unsafe plants, but no source is given, so no way to verify.
A bit of follow-up...

From perusing the archives and google, it appears the Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise plant) was labeled as "Chameleon safe" on a site called http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/safe-plant-list/ which appears to no longer exist(?)

I was able to view an archived image of the page from 2015 via Wayback Machine, which listed
Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae).

At the bottom of the list was the notation:
This list was compiled by:

Ann King Filmer, Ph.D.

Director of Communications

College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Dean’s Office in UC Davis​
I was able to determine from LinkedIn that Dr. Filmer is a retired Plant scientist (Botanist), Naturalist

I was then able to locate the original list at: https://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_safe_plants/Safe_Plants_by_Common_Name/
The list applies to humans—not chameleons or reptiles.

From other lists accessible from that site, I was able to find (no mention of reptiles):
Scientific Name: Strelitzia reginae

Family: Strelitziaceae

Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses

Toxic Principles: GI irritants

Clinical Signs: Mild nausea, vomiting, drowsiness; caused mainly by fruit and seeds

Should not be confused with Caesalpinia or Poinciana gilliesii, which is also known as Bird of Paradise and is more toxic.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/bird-paradise-flower

Taking another approach, I found https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/list-of-plants-that-can-be-toxic-to-reptiles/
Bird of Paradise – Poinciana and related spp. (seed pods and flowers)

I also found Bird of Paradise (flowers & seeds) listed as toxic to reptiles on:
https://ourreptileforum.com/community/threads/toxic-plants.916/
https://thepetwiki.com/wiki/plants_toxic_to_reptiles/
https://azeah.com/reptiles-amphibians-birds-larger-mammals-small-mammals/toxic-plants (Veterinarian site)
———————————————————
Bottom Line (IMO): From the above, I would not risk putting this plant in with a veiled chameleon, or any other species that may sample plants.

For species that are not known for sampling plants (panther, Jackson's, etc.).... 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn't risk it, but I tend to lean toward the conservative on these matters.

Back
Top Bottom