chameleon habitat supplies

cazzuey

Hey all,

Now that I finally have a little money in my pocket, I am going to fullfil my dream of owning a chameleon. My dream would be a panther chameleon, but a veiled chameleon is still ultra awesome!

I plan on picking up my baby veiled in Cornwall,ON (I'm in Montreal,QC) at a Petsmart (I know, I hate to give them the business after all the horror stories I've seen on here) but I can't really find any other places that sell in my area.

I was just wondering on what kind of enclosure I should get him/her? How many gallons, glass or wired?

I am also not too sure what kind of lighting fixture to get the chameleon?

Lastly, I really want to put some native plants in with him instead of those plastic leaves they have in PetSmart. Have any suggestions for plants as well as moss/dirt/wood chips to cover the bottom of the cage with?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want my chameleon to have a terrific habitat.

Thanks in advance,
Harry :)

At the top of the "Enclosure" forum, there are two sticky posts where people share their enclosures and set ups. You should definitely check out those posts to get an idea of a successful set up. Most people are going to recommend nothing on the bottom - no moss, no sand, no wood chips, as some chameleons will eat it and get constipated (impacted).

Lots of vertical and horizontal paths to climb, branches and vines of different sizes to exercise their feet, and make sure your lights and watering are on point, and you will do fine! Err on the side of bigger and better, and found yourself a good chameleon vet before you commit to an animal, just in case!

Read the care sheets back and forth - if the pet store recommends something different from the care sheets here... I would probably follow the care sheets.

Have fun and welcome! The people here are great and full of good information.

thanks all!

I am a little confused about the lighting still. Some people on the forum say a regular light bulb is fine, but I thought I needed a special UVB ray light.

Any light suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks,
Harry

A regular house incandescent bulb is okay for heat as long as your temps are okay. You also need a 5.0 uvb light. I would recommend getting the linear tube type but they also make a compact style.

thanks all!

I am a little confused about the lighting still. Some people on the forum say a regular light bulb is fine, but I thought I needed a special UVB ray light.

Any light suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks,
Harry

You need both.

The caresheet also covers that.

You came to the right place! I'm a first time cham owner myself, and I simply could not have done it without the resources and friendly and knowledgeable people here.

Buying a chameleon from petsmart is ok, as long as it's healthy. Just don't rely on their advice.... chances are, those people do not know how to keep chameleons properly.

Make sure you have EVERYTHING setup including crickets and their enclosure, before you go out and get your cham... it's just so much easier that way.

There's a lot to it, including cost. I live relatively close to you, so with taxes and everything, I would set aside at least $500 for everything. It's so worth it though!

Welcome to the forums, and chameleon ownership!

----

This is your new bible: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/ Follow it, and you should be ok. If it's not covered there, feel free to ask. People here are friendly, and experienced, and will provide great advice, very promptly too!

Thank you!

Lastly, could any of you link me to some lightbulb holders to hold the long 5.0 UVB light and a regular one for the basking light?

Thanks again!
Harry

Back
Top Bottom