Chameleon got lazy to hunt

Yaominator

Hey guys!

Lately ive been “hand feeding” my chameleon where i serve the cup with insect near to it. Everytime, my chameleon is responsive and eats right away.

Problem is, when i dont do this, it doesnt want to eat by himself.
any tips how i can correct this? Would this be a problem in the future?

Hi. From your previous posts I see that you have some husbandry items to correct. Once those are all corrected, it will take a bit of time for your chameleon to be feeling and being at his best. Currently he may be having a little trouble properly shooting his tongue or aiming, so is preferring cup feeding. To help him get used to eating on his own, I would say to secure the cup well to the same spot in his enclosure - high enough so he can see it from his basking spot. Put his feeders in and see what he does. In time he should get used to eating on his own and being able to shoot his tongue. It’s always a good idea to have a designated feeding area or station anyhow. I use the shooting gallery which is tacked to the screen door and on feeding days, I put the bugs in and he chams know where to find their food.

Hi. From your previous posts I see that you have some husbandry items to correct. Once those are all corrected, it will take a bit of time for your chameleon to be feeling and being at his best. Currently he may be having a little trouble properly shooting his tongue or aiming, so is preferring cup feeding. To help him get used to eating on his own, I would say to secure the cup well to the same spot in his enclosure - high enough so he can see it from his basking spot. Put his feeders in and see what he does. In time he should get used to eating on his own and being able to shoot his tongue. It’s always a good idea to have a designated feeding area or station anyhow. I use the shooting gallery which is tacked to the screen door and on feeding days, I put the bugs in and he chams know where to find their food.
Oh okay that makes sense, because his cup is located at the bottom of the enclosure. Ill try to relocate it to be higher.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom