Chameleon going to bed really early :(

nikoniko

So my panther chameleon who is about 10 months has been going to bed earlier and earlier these days.. today he was all curled up and ready for bed at 3pm, which is unusual for him. I have a 2x2x4 screen enclosure, with T5HO uvb and heat lights. His staple food is Dubias (about 3-4 a day) and the occasional super or horn worms. I’m new at this but I do know that 3pm is way too early for him to be sleeping seeing as how lights out are at 8pm.. if anyone could help that would be great :)))

So my panther chameleon who is about 10 months has been going to bed earlier and earlier these days.. today he was all curled up and ready for bed at 3pm, which is unusual for him. I have a 2x2x4 screen enclosure, with T5HO uvb and heat lights. His staple food is Dubias (about 3-4 a day) and the occasional super or horn worms. I’m new at this but I do know that 3pm is way too early for him to be sleeping seeing as how lights out are at 8pm.. if anyone could help that would be great :)))
Hi there. When did you last replace your UVB bulb?

I know my light fixture is small and I have a new one on the way and he likes his tree so he’s pretty well hidden rn
AD9DF4D8-E188-42C8-9FBE-085DF2D8457C.jpeg
5CADB0D5-DBAA-4406-BB1E-1847205F968A.jpeg

here is a pic of him a couple days ago
640586D6-6954-4731-8CF3-C1410A7C8E59.jpeg

I know my light fixture is small and I have a new one on the way and he likes his tree so he’s pretty well hidden rnView attachment 276859View attachment 276857
here is a pic of him a couple days agoView attachment 276858
First I would recommend you buy a T5 that goes the length of the cage. While you see visible light this only gives them a very specific area directly below the UVB bulb. Having the light shining in from the side is a bit confusing as well. All cage lights should be on top.

Please fill out this form in detail so we can make sure there is not something off specific to what is going on with him.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Niko: I have a male panther chameleon ( pardalis), who is about 10 months and I have had him for about 4 months.
Handling: Not very often because he is still not completely comfortable with it but he is starting to warm up to me. I would say once a week if not every other week. Or only if I have to.
Feeding: I was feeding him mainly crickets but after more research, I recently decided to switch to dubias (since they are healthier). He used to eat about 6-7 crickets every day, now he eats about 3-4 dubias. I gut load the dubias and superworms with mustard greens, kale, mango and sweet potato. I offer him superworms and hornworms on occasion about 2-3 times a week. I still feed him everyday since he is only 10 months old.
Supplements: I dust the bugs with calcium powder without D3 everyday and on the last day of the week I will switch off with D3 and with a multivitamin powder. Calcium w/o D3 and w/D3: Rep-Cal , multivitamin: Zoo Med reptivite (w/o D3)
Watering: I water him twice a day (unless humidity gets low) for about 2-3 minutes, I manually mist him because I am saving for a Mist King at the moment. I only see him actually drink in the morning, later in the day he has been going to bed early so usually I can't see him drink.
Fecal Description: His fecal matter has been very consistent, a solid but mushy brown with the normal solid white "pee". On occasion, the white pee has some light orange coloration but resolves the next day. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a vet around me that knows about chameleons, so no he has not been tested yet.
History: No known history the pet store didn't even tell me his birthday or how old he was, based on his size I assumed he was about 6 months when I got him.
Cage type: I have a screen cage that is 2x2x4
Lighting: I have a 12'' T5HO Reptisun 5.0 uvb and a 60 watt ZooMed blue daylight bulb, that I turn on at 8 am and off at 8 pm. Lately, I have been turning them off early because he is ready for bed earlier.
Temperature: His basking lamp is about 80-90 degrees and his overall temp ranges from 75-80 F but normally stays around 75 degrees F. lowest temp at might only drops to about 67-70 F I use a temp gun as well as a digital thermometer that stays in the cage.
Humidity: Lately I have been having issues with keeping the humidity up, I recently got a humidifier that sits outside of his cage that I turn on when misting doesn't work. I try to keep the humidity level above 65%. I mist as well as use the humidifier and I have a digital hemostat in the cage as well to read the percentage.
Plants: I have two live plants one is a Croton plant and a Coffea tree and I am planning on adding some pothos. The rest are fake branches and vines.
Placement: The cage is located inside my room, I am the only one who is normally in the room. He is next to a window but this remains closed as well as a independent A/C unit that usually remains off. The is 4 ft from the floor I am working on getting a stand for it at the moment I just upgraded his cage this last month.
Current Problem: My cham has been going to bed earlier and earlier and I don't know why. This started when I put him in his new/bigger cage.

Your husbandry looks good aside from what @Beman already pointed out.
Are there any room lights on after his lights go out?
I would keep the lights on the same schedule instead of turning them off earlier in response to him going to sleep earlier. Are you sure he’s truly sleeping and not just enjoying the shade of the plants?

unfortunately, I do share the room so sometimes the over headlights will be on for longer, when this is the case I cover half of the cage on the side he is sleeping on with a large sheet of light breathable parchment paper. Okay, thank you I will start the strict schedule again, and yes I do believe that he is ready to sleep he will be in the darkest spot in the cage and will have his tail curled, along with his coloration will relax to a duller tone.

unfortunately, I do share the room so sometimes the over headlights will be on for longer, when this is the case I cover half of the cage on the side he is sleeping on with a large sheet of light breathable parchment paper. Okay, thank you I will start the strict schedule again, and yes I do believe that he is ready to sleep he will be in the darkest spot in the cage and will have his tail curled, along with his coloration will relax to a duller tone.
Any chance of having your room mate turn the overhead light off at 8 and/or using a small table light? Your cham may just be tired if the light has been keeping him awake late. Getting rid of the light on the side may make a difference too.

Thank you, I will do that and as for the overhead light I've tried my very best but unfortunately, they will not compromise. Is there any other methods I can try to accommodate this issue other than covering the cage?

Thank you, I will do that and as for the overhead light I've tried my very best but unfortunately, they will not compromise. Is there any other methods I can try to accommodate this issue other than covering the cage?
Methods that are legal, I assume you’re asking about. :p
The only thing I can think of would be creating a cover to block the light...like maybe a massive cardboard box with just 2 sides and a top. Block the light but keep the ventilation. Hang one of those canopy things but with a black lightweight cotton curtain?
FD8469E7-D031-4160-83E4-632FDD67D221.jpeg

@nikoniko
Niko: I have a male panther chameleon ( pardalis), who is about 10 months and I have had him for about 4 months.
Handling: Not very often because he is still not completely comfortable with it but he is starting to warm up to me. I would say once a week if not every other week. Or only if I have to.
Feeding: I was feeding him mainly crickets but after more research, I recently decided to switch to dubias (since they are healthier). He used to eat about 6-7 crickets every day, now he eats about 3-4 dubias. I gut load the dubias and superworms with mustard greens, kale, mango and sweet potato. I offer him superworms and hornworms on occasion about 2-3 times a week. I still feed him everyday since he is only 10 months old.
Supplements: I dust the bugs with calcium powder without D3 everyday and on the last day of the week I will switch off with D3 and with a multivitamin powder. Calcium w/o D3 and w/D3: Rep-Cal , multivitamin: Zoo Med reptivite (w/o D3)
Watering: I water him twice a day (unless humidity gets low) for about 2-3 minutes, I manually mist him because I am saving for a Mist King at the moment. I only see him actually drink in the morning, later in the day he has been going to bed early so usually I can't see him drink.
Fecal Description: His fecal matter has been very consistent, a solid but mushy brown with the normal solid white "pee". On occasion, the white pee has some light orange coloration but resolves the next day. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a vet around me that knows about chameleons, so no he has not been tested yet.
History: No known history the pet store didn't even tell me his birthday or how old he was, based on his size I assumed he was about 6 months when I got him.
Cage type: I have a screen cage that is 2x2x4
Lighting: I have a 12'' T5HO Reptisun 5.0 uvb and a 60 watt ZooMed blue daylight bulb, that I turn on at 8 am and off at 8 pm. Lately, I have been turning them off early because he is ready for bed earlier. This really should be extended to a 24 inch fixture.
Temperature
: His basking lamp is about 80-90 degrees and his overall temp ranges from 75-80 F but normally stays around 75 degrees F. lowest temp at might only drops to about 67-70 F I use a temp gun as well as a digital thermometer that stays in the cage. 90 is a bit hot. I would do 85 max. He could be moving down to get out of the heat as well.
Humidity
: Lately I have been having issues with keeping the humidity up, I recently got a humidifier that sits outside of his cage that I turn on when misting doesn't work. I try to keep the humidity level above 65%. I mist as well as use the humidifier and I have a digital hemostat in the cage as well to read the percentage. Daytime humidity should be between 50-60% Make sure you are not running the humidifier into the cage during the day. Only use it at night.
Plants
: I have two live plants one is a Croton plant and a Coffea tree and I am planning on adding some pothos. The rest are fake branches and vines.
Placement: The cage is located inside my room, I am the only one who is normally in the room. He is next to a window but this remains closed as well as a independent A/C unit that usually remains off. The is 4 ft from the floor I am working on getting a stand for it at the moment I just upgraded his cage this last month. Really need him up on a table. The sleeping early could be due to a stress reaction with him now being so close to the floor.
Current Problem: My cham has been going to bed earlier and earlier and I don't know why. This started when I put him in his new/bigger cage.

I would get a lamp... No overhead lights on when his lights are off. You can get a black out curtain to wrap the side of the cage. But I would not throw it over the whole thing all night as you will not have air flow. If his sleep is getting disturbed all night with people turning lights on and off this can also cause him to go to sleep earlier.
If the roommates have an issues with lights at night then moving the cage may be the best idea, maybe into your room.

Everything else in your husbandry is perfect.
Note that you can move him to an every other day feeding as he is old enough for it now. It would be 3 feeders every other day.
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Back
Top Bottom