Chameleon getting brighter due to carrot fed crickets?

Barye

Hello,
few days ago I have purchased my new veiled chameleon.
He seems healthy in general, and has a good apetite, however there's one thing I wanted to ask for.
I've heard that the chameleons eating crickets fed with carrots can sometimes become brighter due to presence of carotene.
And indeed, my boy is seem to have something like a stain of brighter, more yellowish green on his body (compared to rest of his body being rather just pastel green)
I will post the photos as soon as I will be possible.

Hi there. So you really want to feed the insects a variety of green leafy veg this way they are gutloaded well. The colors you are seeing are more then likely related to the chameleon settling in to its new environment.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Would they turn pink by eating shrimp?
Flamingos and shrimp actually are both pink from eating algae contains carotenoid pigments. Flamingos eat both the algae and shrimp-like critters which contribute to their fabulous pinkness.
Excessive consumption of carotene like in carrots can turn the outer layer of the skin orange.

I don't know if it would work with chameleons

I found this but I don't know if it's really a valid source or not...
"When sunlight hits a chameleon that has its beta-carotene-containing pigment balls expanded, the beta-carotene will subtract out the blue-green light making the resulting light appear orange-ish"...
http://www.scienceminusdetails.com/2011/03/cool-chameleons-cool-carotenoids-cool.html?m=1

One comment...I think there's a difference between a chameleon changing colors due to mood, etc...and the skin of the chameleon changing color all over, permanently due to carotenoids...if you get what in getting at.

Flamingos and shrimp actually are both pink from eating algae contains carotenoid pigments. Flamingos eat both the algae and shrimp-like critters which contribute to their fabulous pinkness.
Excessive consumption of carotene like in carrots can turn the outer layer of the skin orange.

I don't know if it would work with chameleons

I think most people are aware of this, but I don’t think it would affect reptiles in any sort of beneficial way(in excess). Flamingos evolved to consume a lot of it like that and extra in the case of turning skin orange isn’t healthy. I feel like it is an either they’re getting enough and healthy, or too much/too little and not healthy, both of which would affect color. We’re also not even sure if chameleons can use beta carotene.

Normal amounts are great, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to send the message people should start pumping extra vitamins into their chams for color lol.

Beta-carotene is a provitamin, or a precursor of vitamin A.
If all that the OP is talking about is what is being fed to the crickets being fed to the chameleon, IMHO, I don't think it would be enough to do much in the way of changing the color or harming the chameleon. I'm not a vet...so it's just my opinion.

Regarding people...
You will see the phrase..."Beta-carotene from food does not seem to have these effects"...regarding excess beta carotene from supplements in excess that might not be good for humans. I did not suggest giving any excess beta carotene from any source...just indicated what I found about what happens if an animal gets a lot of beta carotene.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-999/beta-carotene

I know the theory that chameleons can't likely convert the beta carotene in their diet or supplements into prEformed vitamin A ...and yet chameleon eggs have sufficient vitamin A (so it's in a useable form). See site below..."Chameleon yolks contained considerably higher levels of carotenoids than levels previously reported from two viviparous lizard species, and β-carotene concentrations were of the same magnitude as reported in grazing tortoises. β-Carotene and β-cryptoxanthin were the predominant carotenoids in yolk and embryos, comprising about 95% of total carotenoids detected. Measurable concentrations of retinol at all stages of egg development in the chameleons suggests effective conversion from carotenoid precursors, with concentrations similar to those measured in other lizard eggs"...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...pment_in_panther_chameleons_Furcifer_pardalis

Please keep in mind...I am NOT suggesting that you try to enhance the color of your chameleon....just putting forth information about what happens with carotenoids in carrots, etc.

You might like to read this too...
https://reptilesmagazine.com/beta-carotene-and-lizards/

Last edited:
Beta-carotene is a provitamin, or a precursor of vitamin A.
If all that the OP is talking about is what is being fed to the crickets being fed to the chameleon, IMHO, I don't think it would be enough to do much in the way of changing the color or harming the chameleon. I'm not a vet...so it's just my opinion.

Regarding people...
You will see the phrase..."Beta-carotene from food does not seem to have these effects"...regarding excess beta carotene from supplements in excess that might not be good for humans. I did not suggest giving any excess beta carotene from any source...just indicated what I found about what happens if an animal gets a lot of beta carotene.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-999/beta-carotene

I know the theory that chameleons can't likely convert the beta carotene in their diet or supplements into prEformed vitamin A ...and yet chameleon eggs have sufficient vitamin A (so it's in a useable form). See site below..."Chameleon yolks contained considerably higher levels of carotenoids than levels previously reported from two viviparous lizard species, and β-carotene concentrations were of the same magnitude as reported in grazing tortoises. β-Carotene and β-cryptoxanthin were the predominant carotenoids in yolk and embryos, comprising about 95% of total carotenoids detected. Measurable concentrations of retinol at all stages of egg development in the chameleons suggests effective conversion from carotenoid precursors, with concentrations similar to those measured in other lizard eggs"...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...pment_in_panther_chameleons_Furcifer_pardalis

Please keep in mind...I am NOT suggesting that you try to enhance the color of your chameleon....just putting forth information about what happens with carotenoids in carrots, etc.

You might like to read this too...
https://reptilesmagazine.com/beta-carotene-and-lizards/

Sorry kinyonga I didn’t mean it as you were sending a poor message. I read my comment just now and it looks like I’m criticizing you. I just meant as a general rule for us as a community, it might not be beneficial to make it out to be more beta carotene=More color in your Cham. Can only imagine where that would lead with all of the social media idiots these days. Nothing i was saying meant I thought you were pushing for excess vitamins, it was for any randoms reading this thread. I don’t have much time these days so I type things out quickly without reading my comments over.

Me saying we don’t know whether they can still stands, as it’s still not fact. While I’d agree they probably can to some degree, there’s a lot of variables. On the forums we still usually recommend a retinol supplement once or twice a month depending on chameleon/circumstance. Vegetables/fruit have anti nutrients too and if a chameleon could change color from beta carotene, they’d probably need so much that it would also be harmful in one way or another. That’s all I meant by it.

@jamest0o0 said..."Sorry kinyonga I didn’t mean it as you were sending a poor message. I read my comment just now and it looks like I’m criticizing you. I just meant as a general rule for us as a community, it might not be beneficial to make it out to be more beta carotene=More color in your Cham. Can only imagine where that would lead with all of the social media idiots these days"...I know you didn't mean it that way..but it made me realize that I needed to be more clear about it. Thanks!

You said..."Nothing i was saying meant I thought you were pushing for excess vitamins, it was for any randoms reading this thread. I don’t have much time these days so I type things out quickly without reading my comments over".. No need to apologize...I'm glad you commented because it made me realize I needed to be clear about that myself!

You said..."Me saying we don’t know whether they can still stands, as it’s still not fact. While I’d agree they probably can to some degree, there’s a lot of variables. On the forums we still usually recommend a retinol supplement once or twice a month depending on chameleon/circumstance. Vegetables/fruit have anti nutrients too and if a chameleon could change color from beta carotene, they’d probably need so much that it would also be harmful in one way or another. That’s all I meant by it." ..well said!

Sorry guys, took me a while.
1669111433981.png

The area within green border was all the bright green-yellowish color (like the little stain that is still visible)
It apparently kept vanishing every day (I was back tomorrow)
From all you have said, I can be sure that it's not due to carotene, since he was like that even before I fed him much with the crickets.
I guess it can be due to adapting to the new environment.

Are you sure it's a male?
Does it have a tarsal spur? (Bump on the back of the heels?)

They do change colors and patterns as they grow...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom