Chameleon Gaping

EmmasKarma

My chameleon Karma, who has been aged around 8 months has started gaping.. Ive had her a week and a half and she has started gaping. Her basking spot is 29 to 3o degrees celcius. She is eating and drinking great and I don't think she is too hot as the people (who starved and didn't have a UVB bulb for her) had two 75watt bulbs in with her. Which was wayy too hot. She even gapes when holding her. I'm worried. I have also noticed she has crystallised poo. I knew when I bought her health problems would come with but I wasn't able to leave her starving. Ty.

My chameleon Karma, who has been aged around 8 months has started gaping.. Ive had her a week and a half and she has started gaping. Her basking spot is 29 to 3o degrees celcius. She is eating and drinking great and I don't think she is too hot as the people (who starved and didn't have a UVB bulb for her) had two 75watt bulbs in with her. Which was wayy too hot. She even gapes when holding her. I'm worried. I have also noticed she has crystallised poo. I knew when I bought her health problems would come with but I wasn't able to leave her starving. Ty.

Gaping is usually either too hot, or an RI. If you don't think it's too hot, it's likely an RI.

Regardless, they didn't have UVB on her she needs to see a Vet. Preferably now.

I would address the uvb and enclosure situation you mentioned they had two 75 watt bulbs and high temps and as @Graves923 inquired about humidity ,you may have a uri on your hands heat and humidity can cause that and gaping is a common sign. And sounds like wheezing ?

She could be warning you that she's not happy/stressed.
if your handling her and she's got her mouth open watch the body language as a bite may be her next course of action.

My panther often puts on a show and opens his mouth up to intimidate me when I have to clean things or try to get him out of the enclosure I don't take it as an idle threat.

If theyre gaping outside the cage RI. Did you notice any mucus near the back sides of the mouth when they gape?

Also I'd recommend filling this out when you get the time.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom