Chameleon gaping and acting weird

2134bean

My chameleon had her mouth sitting open exactly like in the picture I took and will be showing. Then ate a dubia and has her mouth sitting open the same way. Also while she was eating it she was kinda throwing her head around almost like she was trying to get shed off her face but she's not shedding. In fact she just finished shedding a few days ago. Anyone have an idea of why she's doing this? I think it may have been from a dubia that was a little too big for her. I'm not sure if she can swallow it she's still trying what should I do??

Attachments

• 20210618_122350.jpg
    20210618_122350.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 197
(Update, she swallowed it but it just took a minute, kinda scared me but if yall has any information to make sure everything is fine. Please let me know.

Also how would yall say she is doing?? She's has shed twice now since I've had her and I think she's doing great. So I have a little feeder container and the dubias like to hide so it may have gotten bigger but I feed medium dubias, I do think it was a bit bigger that the size of her head but she has smaller dubias in there. She just went for a big one I guess.

Attachments

• 20210618_123011.jpg
    20210618_123011.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 101
What are your temps? If too hot, they will gape to try and cool off. Basking temps shouldn’t be any higher than 80…82 max. Another reason for gaping is a respiratory infection. Any popping noises when she breathes or stringy saliva?
That was my second concern, but from the picture I figured the first cause would be the bugs.

That was my second concern, but from the picture I figured the first cause would be the bugs.
My temps are usually around 80-85. For the basking spot,
What are your temps? If too hot, they will gape to try and cool off. Basking temps shouldn’t be any higher than 80…82 max. Another reason for gaping is a respiratory infection. Any popping noises when she breathes or stringy saliva?
There's no signs of a respitory infection. Also this gaping only happened once and she wasn't sticking her nose in the air so I believe she's OK. Thank yall so much for all the info!!

If you feed feeders that are too large this is what happens. Feeder should always be smaller. So no larger then the space between their eyes. Otherwise they struggle to chew them and get them down. Some will even throw them back up. All in all it is always better to be safe then sorry.

Back
Top Bottom