chameleon for my exo-terra

i was hoping to stay away from them, as they are a bigger pain to feed the smaller crickets, even harder to handle and have less color, but pygmies are always an option, what do u think about the fischers?

Is 36" the height? If so, a Jackson's would be fine, in my opinion. Or perhaps a carpet; they're really beautiful chameleons. A panther is absolutely too large for that size enclosure.

Keep in mind that drainage in an exo-terra tank will be a problem. With the amount of misting that's required, you'll have a tough time keeping water from puddling at the bottom.

Edit: Where are you located? Before I jump to the conclusion that glass would work for those species, it's important to note where you're at. If you're in a northern area, then I'd say yes. Glass terrariums like the exo-terras work well up here. But if you're more south, then I might change my opinion on keeping Jackson's or carpets in there.

Hey there Albertan! In my experience glass is good around here in the winter months and screen is better for the summer... Really no ideal since our weather is so extreme. It's not practical to switch back and forth so really just go with one and work around its limitations. I have found it really hard to keep temps down in the summer using glass, just be watchful and turn off the basking lights on the real hot days. I have also found blowing a small clip on fan ACROSS not into the tank will help keep the temps a bit lower but will also dry your tank, not so good for montane species like fischers or jacksons. You will not find any captive bred chams any where near here other than panthers or veilds. They might be a better choice unless you are willing to start out with much more difficult wild caughts and all their potential health problems... but It is up to you. That size tank will work fine for a young cham of just about any species and alow you some time to sort out what you will do for it's adult enclosure. It's a lot of fun setting up a new tank. Keep us posted. Cheers!

To lingling- no unfortunately the height is 24 :( I live in Alberta so the glass tank should be fine. Do you have recommendations for drainage?

To jimturner- thanks for the advice, I will have the exo-terra monsoon so in the summer months I will probably turn off the basking bulb and set my monsoon to spray... More. With the help of it I think I should be able to keep the temps down and the humidity up with the fan.

Thanks again for all the advice from both of you

I started with a glass 18x18x24 glass exo. and a male veiled.When he hit that 9 month mark he started digging/clawing at the glass.He never stoped!! It was so freaky!! All said and done the glass confufed him.Once he went into a screen enclosure he was fine.No more glass for me but I keep panthers and veileds

Hey there Albertan! In my experience glass is good around here in the winter months and screen is better for the summer... Really no ideal since our weather is so extreme. It's not practical to switch back and forth so really just go with one and work around its limitations. I have found it really hard to keep temps down in the summer using glass, just be watchful and turn off the basking lights on the real hot days. I have also found blowing a small clip on fan ACROSS not into the tank will help keep the temps a bit lower but will also dry your tank, not so good for montane species like fischers or jacksons. You will not find any captive bred chams any where near here other than panthers or veilds. They might be a better choice unless you are willing to start out with much more difficult wild caughts and all their potential health problems... but It is up to you. That size tank will work fine for a young cham of just about any species and alow you some time to sort out what you will do for it's adult enclosure. It's a lot of fun setting up a new tank. Keep us posted. Cheers!

Here is some great advice from someone near you!

To lingling- no unfortunately the height is 24 :( I live in Alberta so the glass tank should be fine. Do you have recommendations for drainage?

To jimturner- thanks for the advice, I will have the exo-terra monsoon so in the summer months I will probably turn off the basking bulb and set my monsoon to spray... More. With the help of it I think I should be able to keep the temps down and the humidity up with the fan.

Thanks again for all the advice from both of you

Misting more to keep temps down can be a bad idea in glass, it will create such high humidity that you could end up with respiratory infection coupled with the fact that the water has no where to go in an Exo. It sounds like you seriously need to reconsider using the Exo-and go with screen and get a Panther. It seems like what you want anyways. Trust me, as much care and time as these animals need you are going to want to like what you have.

Misting more to keep temps down can be a bad idea in glass, it will create such high humidity that you could end up with respiratory infection coupled with the fact that the water has no where to go in an Exo. It sounds like you seriously need to reconsider using the Exo-and go with screen and get a Panther. It seems like what you want anyways. Trust me, as much care and time as these animals need you are going to want to like what you have.

i would only mist more when i had a fan running, i would definitely just try to find away to keep my humidity and my temps right. i am more then willing to drain the puddles etc. i guess i'll just have to seenwhat works :)

thank you guys all again, i think i will be getting this tank and ordering a carpet chameleon. who knows the best place to get them?

If it's 24" high, plus if you are planning on fully planting the bottom, those are more lost inches from the drainage balls & soil.. That's gonna be one short tank for an adult of any species that's not Pygmy, don't you think guys??

You wont find any in carpets Canada... Any thing you see that isn't a veiled or panther is definatly a wild caught. There may be a few people who have bred or hatched something not panther or veiled here, but it's almost non-existent, VERY rare. There is a rumoured Madagascar import due soon but again they will be wild caught animals. Not really the best choice to start out with. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom