chameleon food questions

haileyreich

hey! i’m getting my chameleon in less than a week! i’ve done a lot of research and i know what supplements i need for the food but do i have to feed the bugs themselves or just keep them? and how should i keep them?

Hi! :) Attaching feeder and ‘gutload’ graphics for you.
Some feeders, like hornworms and silkworms, have their own special chow that they are usually sent with. You can keep them in the container they come in, but will need to either keep it upside down so the poo falls out of the chow or clean it out daily.
Other common staple feeders can and should be fed a variety of fresh produce. I don’t specifically gutload my insects. I do keep them well fed though so that they stay as healthy and nutritious as possible.
Container will depend on the type of insect and how many you’ll be keeping at one time. Most are usually ok staying in the container you bought or received them in. Not crickets though. They need a very well ventilated area or the fumes from their waste and dead will kill them. I usually order 250-500 crickets a month (I have a lot of little hungry mouths) and keep them in a very large Rubbermaid type tote. I’ve cut out and screened areas of the sides and the top for ventilation and then clean out the waste every few days.
D2447EE5-0524-4DB6-BDAD-95187CC6F636.jpeg
FAACC48A-E06C-4182-913D-398E298D55F1.jpeg

Some feeders, like hornworms and silkworms, have their own special chow that they are usually sent with. You can keep them in the container they come in, but will need to either keep it upside down so the poo falls out of the chow or clean it out daily.
Other common staple feeders can and should be fed a variety of fresh produce. I don’t specifically gutload my insects. I do keep them well fed though so that they stay as healthy and nutritious as possible.
Container will depend on the type of insect and how many you’ll be keeping at one time. Most are usually ok staying in the container you bought or received them in. Not crickets though. They need a very well ventilated area or the fumes from their waste and dead will kill them. I usually order 250-500 crickets a month (I have a lot of little hungry mouths) and keep them in a very large Rubbermaid type tote. I’ve cut out and screened areas of the sides and the top for ventilation and then clean out the waste every few days.
View attachment 311785View attachment 311786
Lol oops sent some of the same things sorry

View attachment 311785View attachment 311786
if i just get a weeks work supply of food for my chameleon at a time, can i just feed them lettuce and put the supplements on them? because i live right by a reptile store that sells food so it wouldn’t be hard to go once a week. i’m just wondering because i have a turtle at home to so we already have a lettuce pack at home that i can feed them with. the reptile people i had talked to before said that the supplements would be enough and i wouldn’t have to worry about feeding the insects if i do a weeks worth of supply at a time. the food is the last thing i have questions about because i want it to be the best for my chameleon and i know the food is the tricky part about getting any animal.

The problem with that is that all that the insects eat…all of the nutrition…will have passed thru them completely. The concept of true gutloading is to feed the insects nutritious foods within so many hours of feeding them to your animals so that in turn, all of that nutrition gets passed on to your animal via the insect feeders. Just lettuce (most varieties) will hydrate the insects and maybe offer a little nutrition, but not much. There are some commercial insect feeding products that are much better. I use and like Repashy Bug Burger along with fresh produce, but it can be used alone. It comes in a powder that you mix with water, microwave & store in the fridge. Very easy and then just slice off a bit to feed your insects.

You want to look after the insects properly...feed them a good nutritious diet while they are in your care and gutload them before feeding them to your chameleon so your chameleon will be as healthy as possible. You don't want to give your chameleon insects that are like an empty shell with no nutritional value..do you?

Back
Top Bottom