Chameleon fell

leahd

Hello, my Veiled chameleon fell last night and now it won’t put any weight on its back legs and won’t climb.
My chameleon is in a tall mesh cage with lighting. Eats crickets, mealworms, and has lettuce in its cage.
I don't handle my chameleon too much, I had him out to clean the cage
I’m not sure if something happened and now I need to bring my chameleon to the animal hospital or what I can do to help on my own.
Please let me know what other information you need from me thank you

Attached are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 9DB95BAC-FDFF-480C-B4FC-716993E498CA.jpeg
    9DB95BAC-FDFF-480C-B4FC-716993E498CA.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 61
  • E2ACD8D9-13BB-4460-9244-D7A72C0087C1.jpeg
    E2ACD8D9-13BB-4460-9244-D7A72C0087C1.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi there can you please attach pictures of your chameleon and of the entire cage including the lighting on top?

You have a female Veiled. She looks to be gravid (getting ready to lay eggs). Was she having issues with her back legs prior to the fall? She needs a lay bin. And more then likely a vet. Check this link for vets near you that work with reptiles https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

There are quite a few changes that need to be made to your cage. She is not getting the proper UVB lighting to prevent MBD.

@MissSkittles @kinyonga @Sonny13 are you around to assist in this thread?

laybin graphic.jpg

Last edited:
She wasn't having problems walking/ climbing before the fall. I will definitely try and set up a lay bin. What type of changes should I be making to the cage?

You have a female Veiled. She looks to be gravid (getting ready to lay eggs). Was she having issues with her back legs prior to the fall? She needs a lay bin. And more then likely a vet. Check this link for vets near you that work with reptiles https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

There are quite a few changes that need to be made to your cage. She is not getting the proper UVB lighting to prevent MBD.

@MissSkittles @kinyonga are you around to assist in this thread?

View attachment 321432
She wasn't having problems walking/ climbing before the fall. I will definitely try and set up a lay bin. What type of changes should I be making to the cage?

Is she gripping at all with her back half? If she is not able to use the back legs she will struggle when it comes to digging and laying her eggs. If she is already egg bound then she will not make it without a Vet trying to step in and assist.

Take a look at this husbandry program it will teach you everything https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is what the cage should be set up like with a lay bin in the bottom for a female. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

Is she gripping at all with her back half? If she is not able to use the back legs she will struggle when it comes to digging and laying her eggs. If she is already egg bound then she will not make it without a Vet trying to step in and assist.

Take a look at this husbandry program it will teach you everything https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is what the cage should be set up like with a lay bin in the bottom for a female. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
She will grip a little bit but not as much as normal. And I will definitely read those articles to figure out how to set up the cage how it should. Should I be looking to buy a whole new cage with a better set up or is what I have fine?

She will grip a little bit but not as much as normal. And I will definitely read those articles to figure out how to set up the cage how it should. Should I be looking to buy a whole new cage with a better set up or is what I have fine?
Do you have the chameleon kit? If so I would upgrade her to a 2x2x4 sized cage. This will give you the room you need to have a lay bin permanently in the bottom. The things you need asap.... A laybin. The playsand you can buy at places like home depot or lowes. This link is helpful with showing how to moisten it for the bin. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
And you need the correct UVB lighting. So your looking for a T5HO linear fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb for it. Some locally owned petstores will carry this type especially if they sell reptiles. Most big box stores only sell the T8 linear which is not as good as the T5HO but can work if your using a 10.0 UVB bulb with the T8. Tell me what you end up finding and I can tell you how far her basking branches should be.

You need sturdy vines and thicker ones. Flukers is the only brand in the stores that I would recommend.

What supplements are you using and how often?

The husbandry program is great because it walks you through every single aspect.

Do you have the chameleon kit? If so I would upgrade her to a 2x2x4 sized cage. This will give you the room you need to have a lay bin permanently in the bottom. The things you need asap.... A laybin. The playsand you can buy at places like home depot or lowes. This link is helpful with showing how to moisten it for the bin. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/
And you need the correct UVB lighting. So your looking for a T5HO linear fixture and a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb for it. Some locally owned petstores will carry this type especially if they sell reptiles. Most big box stores only sell the T8 linear which is not as good as the T5HO but can work if your using a 10.0 UVB bulb with the T8. Tell me what you end up finding and I can tell you how far her basking branches should be.

You need sturdy vines and thicker ones. Flukers is the only brand in the stores that I would recommend.

What supplements are you using and how often?

The husbandry program is great because it walks you through every single aspect.
I believe the cage I bought is the reptibreeze chameleon kit. But I know the stuff that came with it wasn’t enough so I bought others. I will definitely set up a laybin today as soon as I can and I will order new vines for the basking branches. The supplements that I’m using is the repticalcium without the d3 and then I can’t remember the name of the other one but I believe it’s supplements for vitamin a?

I believe the cage I bought is the reptibreeze chameleon kit. But I know the stuff that came with it wasn’t enough so I bought others. I will definitely set up a laybin today as soon as I can and I will order new vines for the basking branches. The supplements that I’m using is the repticalcium without the d3 and then I can’t remember the name of the other one but I believe it’s supplements for vitamin a?
Ok let me know what the other supplement is. THen I can give you specifics for supplementation.

If you want to copy and paste the form below into your reply and fill it out with detail we can give you thorough feedback.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi. :) @Beman has already given you some great info. If you fill out the questions above, we can make sure you’ve got everything perfect for your pretty girl. With our girls, having everything as correct as possible is absolutely essential or they can have serious problems laying eggs. A vet visit is best to determine her bone density and if she has any eggs, as well as care to correct any possible deficiencies. Taking a fresh fecal for parasite testing while you’re there is also a good idea.
For a lay bin, any plastic bin that is at least 12” long and wide will work. Fill it to about 5-6” with play sand that is moistened enough to form a tunnel without collapsing. I drill some tiny holes in the bottom for any excess water drainage. A little sand will leak out but once it’s in place that usually stops. It’s best to keep the bin as a permanent part of your enclosure. When your girl needs it, she’ll find it. Once she starts digging, she must have total privacy. I cover just the lower half of my enclosure with a light sheet so she can’t see me. Keep your usual light schedule. She may sleep in her tunnel at night. She may dig a few test tunnels. The whole process can take 1-2 days and when she’s covered all of her holes and back to basking, she’s done.

Hi. :) @Beman has already given you some great info. If you fill out the questions above, we can make sure you’ve got everything perfect for your pretty girl. With our girls, having everything as correct as possible is absolutely essential or they can have serious problems laying eggs. A vet visit is best to determine her bone density and if she has any eggs, as well as care to correct any possible deficiencies. Taking a fresh fecal for parasite testing while you’re there is also a good idea.
For a lay bin, any plastic bin that is at least 12” long and wide will work. Fill it to about 5-6” with play sand that is moistened enough to form a tunnel without collapsing. I drill some tiny holes in the bottom for any excess water drainage. A little sand will leak out but once it’s in place that usually stops. It’s best to keep the bin as a permanent part of your enclosure. When your girl needs it, she’ll find it. Once she starts digging, she must have total privacy. I cover just the lower half of my enclosure with a light sheet so she can’t see me. Keep your usual light schedule. She may sleep in her tunnel at night. She may dig a few test tunnels. The whole process can take 1-2 days and when she’s covered all of her holes and back to basking, she’s done.
When they fill out the husbandry form would you step in since you know exactly what to do with females and have the hands on experience that I lack. 🥰

You said she fell down at night? May we assume this was during her sleep? Or was she still moving?
On both pictures she has no straight back, does she straighten her back? Can be the pictures our the moment of capture.

When you answer the questions in the husbandry form please be specific about your answers...especially with the lighting, food you feed the insects, supplements and how much you feed her.

Please get the lay bin set up ASAP. I would recommend washed PLAYsand...and I would dig a tunnel for her since she might have trouble due to her fall.

@MissSkittles @kinyonga @Sonny13 are you around to assist in this thread?

I filled out the husbandry form, please let me know if you need any more information

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
I have had my chameleon for about 8 months. It's a veiled chameleon, female, and a bit over 8 months old
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Not too much, only a few times a month or when I have to clean the cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I am feeding crickets about 5 or more a day, Mealworms that I have in a bowl in the cage which she can eat whenever, and spring mix lettuce in a bowl each morning. I usually feed the crickets in the mornings, fill up the lettuce and mealworms for throughout the day. For the crickets I have them in a little cage with cardboard and Flunkers cricket quencher.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I have been using repticalcium without D3 and Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamins and I dust with equal parts of both.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a water fountain I got off of amazon the Neptonion Chameleon water fountain. I have a spray bottle to mist but I'm not able to mist it all the time.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
The poop has been looking normal and no she has never been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
I have a screened cage the Reptibreeze chameleon kit. Its about 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have the light that came with the chameleon kit. The zoo med light Daylight Blue reptile bulb and the Zoo med reptisun 5.0 usb bulb. I have been leaving the reptisun 5.0 bulb on all the time and turning the daylight bulb off at night time.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have a thermometer that measures the temperature in the cage and usually it is around 76 degrees but I haven't been tracking the temperature very well.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I don't have anything to measure humidity, but I use a spray bottle to mist the cage when I can
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I don't have any live plant, I am not sure how to do a cage with live plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is placed on a table in the living room. It is not near any fans or air vents, it is just a little close to the front door but we don't have anywhere else to put it right now since we're living in an apartment. The top of the cage is a little bit above 4 feet from the room floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
We are located in CT so it has been cold but we have had the heat on in our apartment

Current Problem -

You said she fell down at night? May we assume this was during her sleep? Or was she still moving?
On both pictures she has no straight back, does she straighten her back? Can be the pictures our the moment of capture.
She fell while I had her out to clean the cage, not far at all but after the fall she wasn't moving much and that's when I noticed she wasn't walking
I think she is able to get her back straight though, she usually is able to and she walks/climbs around fine

Back
Top Bottom