Chameleon fell from near top of cage head first and seems to be unconscious now

Barson

He fell and landed face first and now he isn’t moving that much but still will move his head every once in a while. Been about 20 minutes and he is still breathing but looks pretty out of it. Just want to know if there is anything I can do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 222
How is he now... Is the picture of him after falling? Are his eyes normally that sunk in? Not much you can do in this situation except monitor them and their behavior. I am concerned that he would fall though. Might consider doing a husbandry review.

How is he now... Is the picture of him after falling? Are his eyes normally that sunk in? Not much you can do in this situation except monitor them and their behavior. I am concerned that he would fall though. Might consider doing a husbandry review.
His eyes were no where near that sunken in this morning, they were completely out and he seemed to be hydrated and I feed him yesterday, and the picture was afterward

His eyes were no where near that sunken in this morning, they were completely out and he seemed to be hydrated and I feed him yesterday, and the picture was afterward
They are sunk in due to the fall... Stress reaction. Is he moving at all? We would not be able to help with anything at this point... He would need a Vet with chameleon experience. He could have broken something. You could call around and see if you have any vets with actual reptile/chameleon experience while you see if he starts to act more like himself.

They are sunk in due to the fall... Stress reaction. Is he moving at all? We would not be able to help with anything at this point... He would need a Vet with chameleon experience. He could have broken something. You could call around and see if you have any vets with actual reptile/chameleon experience while you see if he starts to act more like himself.
He’s moving his head but barely at all, he hasn’t changed his position this whole time

He’s moving his head but barely at all, he hasn’t changed his position this whole time
Well it is one thing for them to hit something like carpet. But when they hit hard surfaces this is quite different. Will he let you handle him?

He normally tries to bite me so I need to ask my parents about the vet situation
The problem is the closest reptile vet to me is 3 hours away

Well hun I do not know what to tell you. You can watch him and monitor him maybe he will bounce back. If he broke something then the only thing a vet can do is xray and tell you if it is something that will heal. If he has risk of mbd from not having the correct supplementation or the correct lighting then the risk of breaks is much higher. Him hitting a hard surface head first is concerning. :(

Well hun I do not know what to tell you. You can watch him and monitor him maybe he will bounce back. If he broke something then the only thing a vet can do is xray and tell you if it is something that will heal. If he has risk of mbd from not having the correct supplementation or the correct lighting then the risk of breaks is much higher. Him hitting a hard surface head first is concerning. :(
I found a vet that can take him but they are only open tomorrow so lets hope he makes it, thank you.

I found a vet that can take him but they are only open tomorrow so lets hope he makes it, thank you.
Make sure they have chameleon experience this is very very important. If they do not then they will not even know how to handle him to get an xray done. good luck.

So vet is obviously best choice. But in an injury like this if you can not get to a vet here are some thoughts.

If healthy too start they are very resilient. He is obviously hurt, but we don't know how bad. First visual inspection. Hold him, check his grip and eye reaction.
It may take hours to feel a bit beter so keep an eye on him. Go back to visual inspection and compare, do you see improvement or not?

Broken Bones, So even a vet cant do much here. If it is a limb they can stabilize, but other parts not much they can do. EXCEPT meds to take down swelling, ease pain and help fight infection. This would be why they are preferable.

IF an exam you see crooked jaw, or any thing out of place assume a break.

He will be ok without food for even a week if he doesn't want to eat at first.

If over the course of 24 hours, if you do not see improvement, a vet may be only answer.

Be resourceful. If a vet is far away see if they might be willing to to a video chat exam? I don't know but the way things are going they may work something out.

So vet is obviously best choice. But in an injury like this if you can not get to a vet here are some thoughts.

If healthy too start they are very resilient. He is obviously hurt, but we don't know how bad. First visual inspection. Hold him, check his grip and eye reaction.
It may take hours to feel a bit beter so keep an eye on him. Go back to visual inspection and compare, do you see improvement or not?

Broken Bones, So even a vet cant do much here. If it is a limb they can stabilize, but other parts not much they can do. EXCEPT meds to take down swelling, ease pain and help fight infection. This would be why they are preferable.

IF an exam you see crooked jaw, or any thing out of place assume a break.

He will be ok without food for even a week if he doesn't want to eat at first.

If over the course of 24 hours, if you do not see improvement, a vet may be only answer.

Be resourceful. If a vet is far away see if they might be willing to to a video chat exam? I don't know but the way things are going they may work something out.
Alright he’s still breathing and keeping his head up but he seems to just have passed out.

Alright he’s still breathing and keeping his head up but he seems to just have passed out.

So I don't know about a Chameleon concusion, but My kids play football, and if it were a kid I would tag it as concussion.

So in my son the treatment was simple, no bright lights, no activity, no screens. per Doctor, plus ibuprofen for headache.

So for a Cham, I would make sure hes is safe, can't fall again or move around too much keep his space dark. He is fine a few days without UVB. It may take some time.

Back
Top Bottom