Chameleon fell 4 feet

Friends!! I’m so stressed. My cham was climbing in her cage, and was holding onto the very top screen. She used to climb on the screen cage often, and I’ve read that it can be common. However, just now, she fell from the very top to the bottom. My heart dropped. She started moving and walking and her legs looked fine, I am keeping a very close eye. Now she’s back to climbing on the side screen again. Ugh. I know they shouldn’t be falling, but I also know it’s not smart of her to climb on the screen, but not like I can tell her that lol. I’ll attach all my info. But what do I do??

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Female veiled, 10-11 months I believe, and she’s been in my care for about 7 months so far.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely. The last time I handled her was probably a month ago to move her, other than that I probably haven’t handled her in 4 months.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding her 7-8 large crickets every other day. I feed her between 8-12 in the morning. I am gut loaded them with veggies/fruits (on the safe gut load sheet) and cricket crack.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust the crickets with repashy calcium plus LoD (every other day).
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have bought the mistking, but it’s not in use because I cant figure out how to put it together. I’m on the hunt to find a good video I can follow. I mist 2-3 times a day, with a spray bottle, for about 2 minutes each time. I’ve seen her drink off the leaves. I only use filtered water as well. I have a dripper in her viv as well, that goes for at least 2-3 hours. I have it on at night too to increase humidity.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? My cham hasn’t been tested for parasites. Her poop seems normal to me, her urate a little on the yellow side, I know that means she needs more water, though I have a dripper constantly.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? The 2x2x4 screen cage with the stand. On two sides I put up a shower curtain to try to keep humidity in.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Lights turn on at 8am and off at 8pm. I turn her heat lamp on about 30 mins after her UV one turns on in the morning. Her UV is the reptisun terrarium good t5HO.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I am currently in the process of buying a humidity gauge as well as a good thermometer. I have one I got from a pet store, but turns out it wasn’t the most accurate.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I need to find a good humidity gauge to be able to measure it probably. To maintain humidity I have a live plant, as well as a dripper, and listings throughout the day. The shower curtains are also to keep humidity levels higher.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes a large dracaena.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my living room, it is not high traffic though. (It’s just me and my boyfriend). Her cage stands about 6 feet tall.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Massachusetts / New Hampshire
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about --------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 2906DB81-C6B3-4325-BF02-85DB1746C5A7.jpeg
    2906DB81-C6B3-4325-BF02-85DB1746C5A7.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 165
If they are healthy they are pretty tough. If you don’t see any issues keep an eye on her, she should be ok. They will probably add to this, but more live plants , the light is good, but looks short for the cage.
For temperature and humidity, look for Covee on amazon. They are good because they keep track.
Check your supplant calcium noD3 every feeding but 4 a month. Those you alternate calcium with D3. And multi vitamin. Bee pollen is also good to add each dusting.
You look like you are on the right path.

Salty is definitely right. Your chameleon is climbing all over the side because there is no where near the adequate branches throughout the cage. If you really like those bendable branches, I suggest three more of them but I'd recommend more plants as well. More cover makes them feel more secure/safe. The more difficult that it is to find them, the better off you are.

Supplements are correct with the Repashy cal plus loD no need to add other supplements. I believe you want to start curbing her feeders down more or she will have a larger clutch. @Kristen Wilkins could provide more info on proper feeding for her age.

I do not see anything in husbandry but looking at the images like others have already said this is an issue of pathways. Now with her being larger she physically can't hold on to the screen so she will start falling more often because she does not have branches.

I would buy dragon ledges asap. You need many more branches but more then that you need a good pothos to hook up high in the cage for the water to have somewhere she can drink from and to provide cover. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
They also have drainage trays as well you might want one if you do not have a drainage option currently.

Supplements are correct with the Repashy cal plus loD no need to add other supplements. I believe you want to start curbing her feeders down more or she will have a larger clutch. @Kristen Wilkins could provide more info on proper feeding for her age.

I do not see anything in husbandry but looking at the images like others have already said this is an issue of pathways. Now with her being larger she physically can't hold on to the screen so she will start falling more often because she does not have branches.

I would buy dragon ledges asap. You need many more branches but more then that you need a good pothos to hook up high in the cage for the water to have somewhere she can drink from and to provide cover. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/
They also have drainage trays as well you might want one if you do not have a drainage option currently.
So helpful, thank you! I’ll order the ledges today, but since I know they won’t come in for a bit I’m going to run out and get her some more or the bendable branches. And I’ll get her a pothos too, so there’s more coverage up top!! How do you recommend handing that up top??

So helpful, thank you! I’ll order the ledges today, but since I know they won’t come in for a bit I’m going to run out and get her some more or the bendable branches. And I’ll get her a pothos too, so there’s more coverage up top!! How do you recommend handing that up top??
With the dragon ledges lol. You will mount the pot to them. Your gonna have a hard time getting a pot mounted high just using bendy vines. I know that his ledges and drain pans he has in stock so they usually ship pretty fast.

With the dragon ledges lol. You will mount the pot to them. Your gonna have a hard time getting a pot mounted high just using bendy vines. I know that his ledges and drain pans he has in stock so they usually ship pretty fast.
Oh perfect! And I actually have a big Home Depot bucket under the cage & wholes drilled in the bottom of her viv for a little makeshift drainage system! I think I didn’t get it in my pic ?

Oh perfect! And I actually have a big Home Depot bucket under the cage & wholes drilled in the bottom of her viv for a little makeshift drainage system! I think I didn’t get it in my pic ?
I thought you did but I could not remember lol. Anyways order the ledges and in the meantime get some bendy vines for temporary pathways for her. He explains on his site how to use them. They are really easy but you will have to take everything out of the cage to attach them to the cage walls. This is what you can do with them... You can really really fill out a cage.

cage front 6-21-19.jpg basking level 6-21-19.jpg cage side 6-21-19.jpg

They fall from trees in the wild from time to time. It is usually when the males are fighting and push each other off. (there is a video clip somewhere) They are sturdy when they have proper care not that I'm recommending dropping them. Frequent slips and falls are another matter but you just need to keep an eye out for that for a while.

I thought you did but I could not remember lol. Anyways order the ledges and in the meantime get some bendy vines for temporary pathways for her. He explains on his site how to use them. They are really easy but you will have to take everything out of the cage to attach them to the cage walls. This is what you can do with them... You can really really fill out a cage.

View attachment 262980View attachment 262981View attachment 262982
Oh wow that looks awesome! Do you have 3 ledges on each side?

Oh wow that looks awesome! Do you have 3 ledges on each side?
Yeah I had the DS enclosure which already comes with ledges. I had ordered an extra set. You do not have to do this. I did not know exactly how to utilize them so I thought I would need more lol. But as long as you run your vertical branches up them you can attach at any level. I got bamboo from the garden store for this and it worked perfectly. Just latch them to the ledges with two zip ties making an x and they do not move.

Thank you Becca for tagging me . Just saw this now , sorry for the late response . I read through the form and did not see anything that stands out .

@Gabriellehernandezxxx a healthy chameleon can take quite a fall with very little repercussion . Keep an eye one her over the next few days . As @Beman suggested the ledge’s are great more pathways will be good . As for feeding around a year you could start cutting her back every other day , with temps low 80s . This is helpful with egg production .

Thank you for all your help! This is the update on today, got more bendy branches & some more bamboo sticks. Now we wait for the dragon ledges! Look at her giving me the side eye in the last pic :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• E84DC60E-5782-4942-834B-7F667F7C2B7E.jpeg
    E84DC60E-5782-4942-834B-7F667F7C2B7E.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 7CA575AB-B843-4D8B-B005-52CACDA24607.jpeg
    7CA575AB-B843-4D8B-B005-52CACDA24607.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 100
  • AC13EA39-FFD3-4C51-B408-2905DCD032A2.jpeg
    AC13EA39-FFD3-4C51-B408-2905DCD032A2.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom