Chameleon feeding habits

Chilipina

When our chameleon eats his lobster roaches (and really when he eats anything), he will shoot it, chomp it twice, and then pause with food hanging out of his mouth. Do all chameleons do that? Does anyone know what they are doing when they hold it in their mouth post-chomp? Are they waiting for the roach (in this case) to stop moving? Are they using saliva to soften it? Just curious if anyone knows the answer. It's fascinating watching them eat.

When our chameleon eats his lobster roaches (and really when he eats anything), he will shoot it, chomp it twice, and then pause with food hanging out of his mouth. Do all chameleons do that? Does anyone know what they are doing when they hold it in their mouth post-chomp? Are they waiting for the roach (in this case) to stop moving? Are they using saliva to soften it? Just curious if anyone knows the answer. It's fascinating watching them eat.
Both of my males do that as well.

My Melleri do this with almost every feeder I give them. It's is almost like they have caught the item and it's secured but they have to wait and survey the area to make sure they can let their guard down long enough to finish the meal. I think it's just a natural action IMO.

Given the apparent prevalence of this exact behavior, I'm guessing it's something innate to Chameleons (i.e. a natural instinct).

In the snake world, constrictors do something similar with their prey... They'll keep squeezing until the prey animal's heartbeat stops! So, my best guess is Chameleons are doing something along the same lines when they hold prey animals in their mouths. It's probably a precaution to ensure they don't swallow anything that could hurt them (internally).

Step 1: Shoot (with tongue)...

Step 2: Crunch, crunch (with teeth)...

Step 3: "Hey, you in my mouth... Do you give up or do I need to crunch on you some more?" :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom