Chameleon fecal matter in dripper

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi!

My chameleon has pooped in his dripper water a few times in the past few weeks. I have been cleaning it out thoroughly with very warm water ever night since he has started doing this. Normally the poop is hard and not disturbed by the motor just present. However, yesterday it was broken into bits and I had to try and wipe the sponge inside the motor. Is it safe me to still use this equipment or would you get rid of it?

It sounds like you have a fountain type that is not recommended just for this reason. I would get a regular dripper or make one using a IV valve and tube.

This ? And you are seeing why this type is not recommended no matter what their marketing ploy says.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420-025228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420-025228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 34
Hi Steve, I see why but surely the issue is with my current viv layout as I can’t put the bowl anywhere else it with my bowl not having a mesh like top? I am just curious if it is still safe to use this for now and clean it with hot water everyday till I find a good enough solution. I currently work 8 hours a day away from home so I sadly can’t just spray his viv

not having a mesh like top?
Hi,
I'm just wondering about not having a mesh top, what do you have? How are getting sufficient airflow in your enclosure? This is really important in combination with hot temps and humidity (could cause airway infections).
The dripper itself (the leaves) is great options, you need to modify the water circulation. Best would be making it not recirculate, and take 2 equal sized watercontainers, one for the pump (outside the enclosure) and one underneath the dripper. Check how long it takes before reservoir is empty and put a timer in between to shut off the dripper before its reservoir is empty. One hour a dripper a day should be sufficient.

Hi Steve, I see why but surely the issue is with my current viv layout as I can’t put the bowl anywhere else it with my bowl not having a mesh like top? I am just curious if it is still safe to use this for now and clean it with hot water everyday till I find a good enough solution. I currently work 8 hours a day away from home so I sadly can’t just spray his viv
What type of enclosure do you have and it's dimensions ? If it has a glass top sadly you will need to upgrade to a hybrid or screen enclosure of 24x24x48 minimum. You are probably not getting proper air flow and also the UV doesn't penetrate the glass for your chameleon to utilize that will cause mbd (metabolic bone disease)
I'm guessing the pet store gave you a lot of false information. Here's one of my enclosures just to give you some ideas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-205839_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-205839_Gallery.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi,
I'm just wondering about not having a mesh top, what do you have? How are getting sufficient airflow in your enclosure? This is really important in combination with hot temps and humidity (could cause airway infections).
The dripper itself (the leaves) is great options, you need to modify the water circulation. Best would be making it not recirculate, and take 2 equal sized watercontainers, one for the pump (outside the enclosure) and one underneath the dripper. Check how long it takes before reservoir is empty and put a timer in between to shut off the dripper before its reservoir is empty. One hour a dripper a day should be sufficient.
Hi Steve, sorry for the confusion there the viv is a mesh top I meant mesh top as in on the water reservoir to protect it from anything falling in. That suggestion of two spectate locations for the water is really good I think I’m going to take a look into that I would just need to purchase a longer tube but if I could make that would it would be awesome. Also thank you for the info on how long the dripper needs to be on that’s beyond useful, currently I’ve been having it on 12 hours a day essentially once he wakes up till when he goes to sleep

What type of enclosure do you have and it's dimensions ? If it has a glass top sadly you will need to upgrade to a hybrid or screen enclosure of 24x24x48 minimum. You are probably not getting proper air flow and also the UV doesn't penetrate the glass for your chameleon to utilize that will cause mbd (metabolic bone disease)
I'm guessing the pet store gave you a lot of false information. Here's one of my enclosures just to give you some ideas.
No need to worry with his enclosure. I got him from a very reputable reptile centre, he has a hybrid viv, mesh top. I have a few photos, I also live in the uk so the temps are quite cold a lot of the time and I have a humidifier to ensure it’s at optimal humidity during the day and night. Appreciate the worry and help though!

(His viv is 3ft x 2ft x 2ft but he’s upgrading to a bigger one very soon

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpeg
    IMG_5012.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 34
  • A8A1428E-AB25-4563-88FC-F1BF64D87120.jpeg
    A8A1428E-AB25-4563-88FC-F1BF64D87120.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 70324337960__58E12306-1648-4BB0-B633-42D3DA36C539.jpeg
    70324337960__58E12306-1648-4BB0-B633-42D3DA36C539.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 34
Please, don't fog during the day when temps are high (heat light is on) this will increase the change for getting an upper respiratory infection (URI). A humidity of 40% during the day is more than perfect, during the evening / night it needs to >70%. Just to double check, the linear UVB light, does this one have a plastic clear cover in front the light bulb (kind of looks it). If so, it needs to be removed, because it blocks the UVB radiation. And yes, terrible suppliers sells these things. If not, never mind then it was just a double check.

I use a monsoon solo mister that I converted into a dripper. dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-monsoon-solo
I spliced drip irrigation tubing on to it and it drips several times a day for several seconds. The best part is that the reservoir is outside of the cage.
You can screen top some kind of catch basin or even direct it into your soon to be disinfected but no longer running fountain/plant or just on to a regular plant (better choice).You might have to have atleast 3 drip heads to work with the amount of pressure. You can always run more tubing and wter some house plants at the same time.

Please, don't fog during the day when temps are high (heat light is on) this will increase the change for getting an upper respiratory infection (URI). A humidity of 40% during the day is more than perfect, during the evening / night it needs to >70%. Just to double check, the linear UVB light, does this one have a plastic clear cover in front the light bulb (kind of looks it). If so, it needs to be removed, because it blocks the UVB radiation. And yes, terrible suppliers sells these things. If not, never mind then it was just a double check.
Hi sonny, the misting during daylight is because the sun is out at 7 o’clock which is also the time he goes to bed hence the misting but thank you for the advice with the heat light ill keep it in mind and it’s really useful :) his humidifier runs once for two minutes on the lowest setting whilst I’m at work and I always come back to 35-40 humidity, at a night he’s always 70 or a tad higher :)

Regarding his uvb light I’m a bit confused by what you’re asking, the bulb has a fixture like a shell to hold it so it doesn’t have sit on top of the mesh. There’s no cover in front the light has a direct path with nothing but the mesh roof in front of itself and Bruce! :) appreciate the concern and help so much always great to hear this stuff

I use a monsoon solo mister that I converted into a dripper. dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-monsoon-solo
I spliced drip irrigation tubing on to it and it drips several times a day for several seconds. The best part is that the reservoir is outside of the cage.
You can screen top some kind of catch basin or even direct it into your soon to be disinfected but no longer running fountain/plant or just on to a regular plant (better choice).You might have to have atleast 3 drip heads to work with the amount of pressure. You can always run more tubing and wter some house plants at the same time.
Hi appreciate the suggestion! I’ll take a look into this the idea of the res been outside of his enclosure is great and would be so useful! I’m taking out his dripper tomorrow and going to give it s huge clean and hopefully find a solution to my current problem

Regarding his uvb light I’m a bit confused by what you’re asking, the bulb has a fixture like a shell to hold it so it doesn’t have sit on top of the mesh
Sorry for being confusing, but some fixtures got a plastic plate in front of the bulb, in other words between the screen and the bulb. But that’s not your case, therefore ignore 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom