Chameleon Eyes Closed

DWTobias

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - ambilobe panther, male, about 1 years, received him when he was 4 months
Handling - couple times a day, hes really friendly
Feeding - i feec him 8 crickets, the crickets are gut loaded with flukers cricket quencher calcium fortified
Supplements - i use repti calcium with d3 two times a week and rep-cal herptivite with beta carotene once a week
Watering - i mist 5 times a day with a spray bottle for 2 mins long, i have a dripper that goes all day. i do see him drink but he hasnt drank since his eye problem started
Fecal Description - his poop looks good, brown and white. i have noticed small orange bits though. hes never been tested for parasites
History - i recently rearranged my room. he used to be by a window now hes about 5 feet away. i also switched out a exo terra uvb for a repti 5.0 uvb

Cage Info:
Cage Type - wooden screen cage that i made. its 2x2x4 tall
Lighting - im using a regular basking bulb and a tube repti 5.0 uvb
Temperature - basking spot is 80 degrees.
Humidity - his humidity is at 80%, but i just misted. over night his humidity is at 50%
Plants - i have a small ficus
Placement - Cage is located in my room. only i come in my room. theres a window and a air vent 5 feet away from his cage
Location - michigan

Current Problem - his eyes are closed. he has been moving around but currently hes just still. he isnt eating because of his eyes. he opens his eyes for a little bit then closes again. this just started when i rearranged my room about 4 weeks ago.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - ambilobe panther, male, about 1 years, received him when he was 4 months
Handling - couple times a day, hes really friendly
Feeding - i feec him 8 crickets, the crickets are gut loaded with flukers cricket quencher calcium fortified You need to stop gutloading with this stuff, its crap. fresh fruits and veggies should be used. Find blogs from sandrachameleon on this.
Supplements - i use repti calcium with d3 two times a week and rep-cal herptivite with beta carotene once a week You are over supplementing. D3 should be used twice a month, not a week. you also need a plain calcium with no d3 for every feeding.
Watering - i mist 5 times a day with a spray bottle for 2 mins long, i have a dripper that goes all day. i do see him drink but he hasnt drank since his eye problem started
Fecal Description - his poop looks good, brown and white. i have noticed small orange bits though. hes never been tested for parasites
History - i recently rearranged my room. he used to be by a window now hes about 5 feet away. i also switched out a exo terra uvb for a repti 5.0 uvb

Cage Info:
Cage Type - wooden screen cage that i made. its 2x2x4 tall
Lighting - im using a regular basking bulb and a tube repti 5.0 uvb
Temperature - basking spot is 80 degrees. this basking temp is WAY too low for a panther. you need to raise that to about 88.
Humidity - his humidity is at 80%, but i just misted. over night his humidity is at 50%
Plants - i have a small ficus
Placement - Cage is located in my room. only i come in my room. theres a window and a air vent 5 feet away from his cage
Location - michigan

Current Problem - his eyes are closed. he has been moving around but currently hes just still. he isnt eating because of his eyes. he opens his eyes for a little bit then closes again. this just started when i rearranged my room about 4 weeks ago.

his eyes being closed could be due to being too cold, not getting the proper heat, being over supplemented, or he has an eye infection, or something in his eye.

can you post photos of him please?

his eye is currently open as you can see in the picture. i gave him a shower this morning with the water hitting the wall creating a mist.

Attachments

• IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 129
you mentioned something about his basking being to low? how could i increase that? and can you also put a link to that supplement blog that you mentioned?

Attachments

• IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 139
His eyes look a bit puffy... I think he might have a vitamin A deficiency which we see in panthers sometimes.

This can cause the eyes to shut.

Lemme see if I can find some info on treating it. I know you can give liquid vitamin A, but I don't know from what or how much.

as for the basking- get a higher wattage bulb.. youll just have to get different bulbs and play around with them, see what temps they make.

and for the blog- you mean for gutloading? there are a gazillion blogs from her.

just go to search- search for user- sandrachameleon, then read through her blogs. she has all kinds of blogs about what food items to use for gutloading.

as for supplementing- you can either buy each product individually, or buy repashy all in one calcium plus. I use it and use that on every feeding.

His eyes look a bit puffy... I think he might have a vitamin A deficiency which we see in panthers sometimes.

This can cause the eyes to shut.

Lemme see if I can find some info on treating it. I know you can give liquid vitamin A, but I don't know from what or how much.

as for the basking- get a higher wattage bulb.. youll just have to get different bulbs and play around with them, see what temps they make.

and for the blog- you mean for gutloading? there are a gazillion blogs from her.

just go to search- search for user- sandrachameleon, then read through her blogs. she has all kinds of blogs about what food items to use for gutloading.

as for supplementing- you can either buy each product individually, or buy repashy all in one calcium plus. I use it and use that on every feeding.

My veiled is currently recovering from a vit A deficiency. Olimpia told me to buy fish oil capsules and put a drop or two on one feeder, once a day. If thats the problem, it should work within 2-3 days.

I used Cod liver oil gel caps. I took a clean knife, chopped it in half, and using a toothpick, I rubbed a very little bit on one or two feeders for a couple days. He improved right away. I don't know if your cham has a vit a deficiency or not, but if he does, that should help, and you'll see improvement pretty quick. I think if you can, you should take them to a vet too. I'm no expert, I just recently dealt with a vit a problem with my veiled.

okay, thanks guys for your advice. ill get some cod liver tomorrow morning. im also gunna give him another shower to see if that helps. if it doesnt work ill take him to the vet, but hopefully ill see some improvement and ill keep you guys updated! thanks again!

so its been two days and im not seeing an improvement. ive been giving him the cod liver fish oil and not seeing any results. he will open his eyes once in a while but its just a squint. hes not moving any more but he is awake since i can see him moving his eyes under his eye lids. i do plan on taking him to the vet soon. is there anything else that i can do?

Update**

so i took Leon into the vet this morning and it went well. the vet gave me some antibiotics to give him orally and said that i should see a quick recovery. he seemed pleased that i was giving him the cod liver oil and said that i should continue doing that. the vet wants me to bring in a stool sample to test for parasites since little leon has never been tested before. he wants a update in a week. im happy that i found a vet who knows what he's doing and im extremely happy that leon will be back to normal soon. thanks again guys for your help!

Back
Top Bottom