Chameleon Eye Problem

Bhurst

Hello, Sunday morning I woke up at noticed that my chameleon's left eye is closed and it stayed closed all day. Then Monday when I came back from school it was barely open and it was swollen. I also noticed it was red. I don't know what happened and was wondering what caused it and what I should do. I'm thinking it got infected but how? Please someone help me ASAP, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 81
I suggest filling out the how to ask for help form because your chameleon doesn't look healthy at all and I think there's other problems besides his eye. For the eye I'd start with long mistings

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male, Veiled Chameleon. About 5 months old and has been in my care for about a month.
  • Handling - Have never handled him before.
  • Feeding - Every day around 12-2 I feed him live crickets dusted in Repashy superfoods calcium plus LoD. He eats about 5-10 a day but has only eaten one in the past day and a half.
  • Supplements - ^^^^^^
  • Watering - I mist every day 3-5 times from a distance and yes I've seen him drink. I mist for about 30 seconds to a minute.
  • Fecal Description - Droppings are dark brown and then white with some yellow. No he has not been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - All screen enclosure but not sure of dimensions. It's a pretty large cage for his size.
  • Lighting - Using a zoo med mini tropical UVB lighting combo which includes a mini deep dome fixture and a 5.0 UVB 13 watt reptisun bulb. Then im also using a exo terra glow lamp with a heat bulb.
  • Temperature - from cage floor to top would be from around 75-90 degrees with the lowest overnight temp around 70 degrees.
  • Humidity - My humidity level is 25 percent and I have a duo temp/humidity thing in my cage.
  • Plants - Not using live plants.
  • Placement - Cage is located in my room on my dresser next to TV.
  • Location - Orlando, FL

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 80
Awww, poor baby... he looks pretty miserable. Here is the help form to fill out https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

It looks like he recently shed? It's possible he might have got some shed stuck in his eye. Definitely start with long mistings, as was suggested, to help flush out anything that might have got into his eye.

Yes he has recently shed, but you think water could have gotten into his eye or do you think that it's an infection of some sort from eating a cricket maybe.

I'm sure you will have some other members popping in with suggestions. I would say that what you have is a good start. The first thing I noticed is that you probably should add in more branches that are smaller diameter for your little guy. Also, your humidity should be higher. And oftentimes chams need the mist to continue for much longer than a minute so that it will stimulate them to start drinking. For example, my cham is misted 3x a day for 7 minutes each time. If he has any yellow or orange in the urates, that's a sign he needs more water. If you haven't, read the care sheets for veileds... they really helped me out :) Have you ever taken him outside for a sun-bath? He would probably really benefit and enjoy that, if you can

I'm sure you will have some other members popping in with suggestions. I would say that what you have is a good start. The first thing I noticed is that you probably should add in more branches that are smaller diameter for your little guy. Also, your humidity should be higher. And oftentimes chams need the mist to continue for much longer than a minute so that it will stimulate them to start drinking. For example, my cham is misted 3x a day for 7 minutes each time. If he has any yellow or orange in the urates, that's a sign he needs more water. If you haven't, read the care sheets for veileds... they really helped me out :) Have you ever taken him outside for a sun-bath? He would probably really benefit and enjoy that, if you can

I've wanted to before, but when I try to get him to crawl onto my finger/hand he gets scared and tries to avoid it so I just let him be and don't put any pressure on him.

Yes he has recently shed, but you think water could have gotten into his eye or do you think that it's an infection of some sort from eating a cricket maybe.

I'm not experienced enough on health issues to know if it is an infection, but if you are worried about that, def take him to see an exotic pet vet. It's not a bad idea to get a fecal sample done and a check-up anyway and you could ask about they eye. Until then, hopefully it is something that he can take care of on his own with your help of misting the heck out of him. He will use the water and mist to work out the shed (or whatever might be in there). I included a picture of Ophelia getting a heavy misting. She closes and opens her eyes and keeps her eyes clean.

Attachments

• 20170401_115657.jpg
    20170401_115657.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 53
I'm not experienced enough on health issues to know if it is an infection, but if you are worried about that, def take him to see an exotic pet vet. It's not a bad idea to get a fecal sample done and a check-up anyway and you could ask about they eye. Until then, hopefully it is something that he can take care of on his own with your help of misting the heck out of him. He will use the water and mist to work out the shed (or whatever might be in there). I included a picture of Ophelia getting a heavy misting. She closes and opens her eyes and keeps her eyes clean.

So I should mist directly on him from a distance? And should I get it in the eye to help or no?

I've wanted to before, but when I try to get him to crawl onto my finger/hand he gets scared and tries to avoid it so I just let him be and don't put any pressure on him.

You've had him for a month, so you are just getting to know each other. Once he knows that you are the bringer of all things good and yummy, he will be more open to being with you. Opehlia knows that when I open her enclosure it means = free range time for her, time outside, time for food, or a special treat... she practically jumps out of her enclosure sometimes haha

So I should mist directly on him from a distance? And should I get it in the eye to help or no?
I wouldn't spray directly on the face - most chams don't like it. Ophelia is weird. When I hand mist her, I point the spray bottle up towards the top of the cage, which let's the drops fall down on her and leaves. Sometimes she moves away and sometimes she moves more into the path of the drops. For your cham, since he's not excited to leave the cage at this point, I would make the spray come out as fine and soft drops as possible, mist his back half and some of the drops will bounce towards his front half and see how he feels about that. Do this for an extended period a few times a day if you can.

I wouldn't spray directly on the face - most chams don't like it. Ophelia is weird. When I hand mist her, I point the spray bottle up towards the top of the cage, which let's the drops fall down on her and leaves. Sometimes she moves away and sometimes she moves more into the path of the drops. For your cham, since he's not excited to leave the cage at this point, I would make the spray come out as fine and soft drops as possible, mist his back half and some of the drops will bounce towards his front half and see how he feels about that. Do this for an extended period a few times a day if you can.

Okay thank you

Just letting you guys know that his left eye has completely healed on his own and he's eating healthy now. Still gets stressed when I try to reach for him when I wanna take him outside, so I just let him be sadly.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom