Chameleon Eye Going White

Hi! My chameleon's eye is occasionally going white. Once I make some noise or do something the pupil comes back though. I'm not sure if it's just a coating of something that's letting her rest her eyes or if somethings wrong. She might just be looking back in her head or something? There's nothing online about it!

Thanks!

Great observation! JMO I would look up the anatomy of the chameleon eye. It is fascinating how it works. Similar to when a human looks up and their pupil moves up and everyone else sees a spooky white eyeball.
That being said- if there are vision, cloudy, swollen issues I would take to a vet. Even if it is for a wellness check. Peace!

Hi there: Just to make sure it isnt anything to do with your husbandry, fill out this form please.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi there: Just to make sure it isnt anything to do with your husbandry, fill out this form please.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon- Veiled, Female, I don't know how old she is but somewhere between 2-3 years. Been in my care for about 1 month.
Handling - I handle her ever other day if not every few days.
Feeding - Crickets, mealworms, very very rarely waxworms.
Supplements - I use zoo med.... calcium without d3 almost every feeding. Calcium with d3 every 2 weeks. Multivitamin every 2 weeks also.
Watering - I use a spray bottle.... 3 or more times a day for 2 minutes at a time. I've never actually seen her drink but someone I live with has.
Fecal - It's brown with a small white part.... runny at first then it hardens up.
History - I feel so bad about this but I did accidentally touch her eye with my finger and this goo came off onto my finger.

Cage type - screen - 36x16x18 I think..
Lighting - I don't know the exact stuff
Temperature - I rarely look at my thermometers but I'm sure it's the right temperature. She can go to different parts of the cage if she needs to.
Humidity - Same thing with the temperature but it shouldn't affect her eye.
Plants - I have 2 live plants that died. Since I bought the cage used I don't know what they are.
Placement - It's not near anything.
Location - I'm in Vegas.

Great observation! JMO I would look up the anatomy of the chameleon eye. It is fascinating how it works. Similar to when a human looks up and their pupil moves up and everyone else sees a spooky white eyeball.
That being said- if there are vision, cloudy, swollen issues I would take to a vet. Even if it is for a wellness check. Peace!
Thanks! I did look up the eye anatomy and it is very interesting.

My feedback will be in bold.

Chameleon- Veiled, Female, I don't know how old she is but somewhere between 2-3 years. Been in my care for about 1 month.
Females lay eggs. Do you know anything about this or lay bins?

How many feeders and how often. Dont feed mealworms or waxworms. Mealworms have a hard outer shell and are hard for chameleons to digest. Waxworms have no nutritional value and are very fatty.

Supplements - I use zoo med.... calcium without d3 almost every feeding. Calcium with d3 every 2 weeks. Multivitamin every 2 weeks also.
Good, calcium with D3 and Multivitamin should be alternated week to week. Meaning if you gave Multivitiam this week then next week you should give her calcium with D3.

Watering - I use a spray bottle.... 3 or more times a day for 2 minutes at a time. I've never actually seen her drink but someone I live with has.
Fecal - It's brown with a small white part.... runny at first then it hardens up.
History - I feel so bad about this but I did accidentally touch her eye with my finger and this goo came off onto my finger.
What did the goo look/feel like.

This is very important. Take pictures if you dont know the kind.

Temperature - I rarely look at my thermometers but I'm sure it's the right temperature. She can go to different parts of the cage if she needs to.
This is also important to makes sure that she dosent lay that many eggs. Please get a reading on them.

High humidity can cause a number of different things. So, also please get a reading on this.

Plants - I have 2 live plants that died. Since I bought the cage used I don't know what they are.
Take pictures please. If you have any fake plants I would remove them, she can eat them and become impacted. Pothos is a great choice and grows quickly.
Location - I'm in Vegas.

TAKE PICTURES OF HER AND YOUR SETUP PLEASE!!!!

My feedback will be in bold.

Females lay eggs. Do you know anything about this or lay bins?

How many feeders and how often. Dont feed mealworms or waxworms. Mealworms have a hard outer shell and are hard for chameleons to digest. Waxworms have no nutritional value and are very fatty.

Good, calcium with D3 and Multivitamin should be alternated week to week. Meaning if you gave Multivitiam this week then next week you should give her calcium with D3.

What did the goo look/feel like.

This is very important. Take pictures if you dont know the kind.

This is also important to makes sure that she dosent lay that many eggs. Please get a reading on them.

High humidity can cause a number of different things. So, also please get a reading on this.

Take pictures please. If you have any fake plants I would remove them, she can eat them and become impacted. Pothos is a great choice and grows quickly.
Location - I'm in Vegas.

TAKE PICTURES OF HER AND YOUR SETUP PLEASE!!!!
Yes I have a lay box.
I give her a different amount of feeders each time..... Depending on how hungry she is. I don't overfeed or underfeed her though.
I don't totally remember but I'm pretty sure the goo was clear and it was kind of slimy also.
Most of my plants are fake. I'm not going to take out all of my plants.
I don't know how to put photos on here from my laptop.

Yes I have a lay box.
I give her a different amount of feeders each time..... Depending on how hungry she is. I don't overfeed or underfeed her though.
I don't totally remember but I'm pretty sure the goo was clear and it was kind of slimy also.
Most of my plants are fake. I'm not going to take out all of my plants.
I don't know how to put photos on here from my laptop.
What are the dimensions of your lay bin?
How often are you feeding her? Do you weigh her?

Im not as educated with females than i am males so ill tag in some keepers who are good with females.
As for the pictures, you can log in on your phone and attach pictures.
@MissSkittles @Beman @janjan20

Hi. Your lighting is very important and may be the problem. You should have a linear/long T5 fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb. The screw in bulbs are not able to provide adequate uvb levels. Basking bulb can be just a plain incandescent bulb, usually 60w gives ideal temps of around 80*.
What is the brand of supplements that you are using? Not all are equally as good.
I’m not meaning to be rude, but just telling us that something is right isn’t telling us anything at all. In order to fully evaluate where any problems may lie, we need specifics.
To post pics, simply click ‘attach files’, choose your pic and then you’ll need to select size.
I’m funny about certain things, and eyes are one of them. I don’t mess around...just take my animal to a vet if any eye problems.

I can’t really help here except say you’ll want to take her to a vet if the rolling isn’t normal, do have any videos of her rolling her eyes? It’ll help us see what you’re talking about and if it’s normal or not. Have you ever checked out The Chameleon Academy before? They have the most accurate and up-to-date info (definitely make sure to read through every module and the veiled species profile, as well as listen to as many podcasts as possible from them)! Also, here are laybin, gutload, feeder, and safe plants for veileds charts (make sure to properly clean the plants beforehand, too):

Attachments

• AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    AA3AB99C-5E76-42EB-9A16-FB39CFEA51AD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 71
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 77
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 83
Hi. Your lighting is very important and may be the problem. You should have a linear/long T5 fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb. The screw in bulbs are not able to provide adequate uvb levels. Basking bulb can be just a plain incandescent bulb, usually 60w gives ideal temps of around 80*.
What is the brand of supplements that you are using? Not all are equally as good.
I’m not meaning to be rude, but just telling us that something is right isn’t telling us anything at all. In order to fully evaluate where any problems may lie, we need specifics.
To post pics, simply click ‘attach files’, choose your pic and then you’ll need to select size.
I’m funny about certain things, and eyes are one of them. I don’t mess around...just take my animal to a vet if any eye problems.
The heat and uvb bulb that I have is all I can do right now. I got the setup how it is with her in it and I already upgraded the UVB bulb because I didn't know how old it was. I would like to upgrade to the linear fixture but I don't have the money to right now. For the supplements I use Zoo Med. Calcium with d3, without d3, and multivitamin. I appreciate everyone's concern but I think I got my answer for the eye. I'm sure it's just her rolling her eye back. Thank you

I can’t really help here except say you’ll want to take her to a vet if the rolling isn’t normal, do have any videos of her rolling her eyes? It’ll help us see what you’re talking about and if it’s normal or not. Have you ever checked out The Chameleon Academy before? They have the most accurate and up-to-date info (definitely make sure to read through every module and the veiled species profile, as well as listen to as many podcasts as possible from them)! Also, here are laybin, gutload, feeder, and safe plants for veileds charts (make sure to properly clean the plants beforehand, too):
Thank you for the info and charts.

The heat and uvb bulb that I have is all I can do right now. I got the setup how it is with her in it and I already upgraded the UVB bulb because I didn't know how old it was. I would like to upgrade to the linear fixture but I don't have the money to right now. For the supplements I use Zoo Med. Calcium with d3, without d3, and multivitamin. I appreciate everyone's concern but I think I got my answer for the eye. I'm sure it's just her rolling her eye back. Thank you
What brand and strength of coil UVB bulb do you have? Bill Strand has a “transitioning from the Chameleon Kit” entry on his website (The Chameleon Academy), which tells you how to use the coil bulb until you can upgrade to a T5 HO (which needs to happen ASAP). Does your multivitamin have D3 in it? Here’s the link: https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-171-transitioning-from-the-chameleon-kit/
Also, just from your description of her eye, I don’t think what she’s doing is normal. Do you have/could you film a video of her doing it, then post it on here, please?

Back
Top Bottom