Chameleon Eye bulge !

TabithaElaine

So I had a couple questions concerning a little veil my sister gifted me. I've had one chameleon before who was a well taken care of Panther Chameleon that just passed away (the store said she was younger than she actually was). My question though is what causes a eye to bulge and turn purple? I got gifted a 3 month baby boy veil chameleon two days ago and after she gave him to me I took him home (nothing seemed wrong) . After I had seen his eye in the cage upon turning his lights on his sweet little eye turned right and it was bugling a little. It was purple and when he looks fully right with it, it looks a little bloodshot. I had cleaned all the old fake plants and stuff with antibacterial soap and made sure his new cage was cleaned properly. He has a little dripper system and I reordered a better mister/fogger system because my old one was just a little reptifogger. He has live pothos and two ficus in his cage as well and coconut soil as bedding in the cage. He has vines and I ordered a bunch of fake plants and sticks for him. The pet store "apparently" had no idea, but I don't believe that. My sister said they were kept in glass drawers and fed crickets but I think they really didn't care for him properly and it concerns me because i really want hm to get better

That would be helpful :) Is it constantly like that or you just saw it and it stopped?
Well I did get him two days ago. Yesterday was my first actual day with him alone and he seemed fine in the morning had it peaking open just a little but then around 1pm to the time I turn his lights off he had kept the eye closed. Then just went to sleep fully. I watched a couple videos on youtube and very softly this morning around 6 am when he woke up gently cleaned the eye with a luke warm q tip and he has it kind of open currently. Here are some pictures. I just wanna help him any way I can i just don't want to end up buying the wrong things for him. As well as the closest reptile vet is about two hours away (if it came down to it i would go to save his life)

Attachments

• baby mac 2.jpg
    baby mac 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 112
  • baby mac.jpg
    baby mac.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 110
  • macky mac.jpg
    macky mac.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 108
Well I did get him two days ago. Yesterday was my first actual day with him alone and he seemed fine in the morning had it peaking open just a little but then around 1pm to the time I turn his lights off he had kept the eye closed. Then just went to sleep fully. I watched a couple videos on youtube and very softly this morning around 6 am when he woke up gently cleaned the eye with a luke warm q tip and he has it kind of open currently. Here are some pictures. I just wanna help him any way I can i just don't want to end up buying the wrong things for him. As well as the closest reptile vet is about two hours away (if it came down to it i would go to save his life)
Ok do not do anything you see on youtube... Eye issues can be multiple issues. From normal cleaning, to incorrect supplements, to incorrect UVB lighting, To something stuck in the eye. So first we need to narrow down the issue.

So please fill this out with detail. Copy paste it into your response. We will need images of the entire enclosure lighting down as well.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ok do not do anything you see on youtube... Eye issues can be multiple issues. From normal cleaning, to incorrect supplements, to incorrect UVB lighting, To something stuck in the eye. So first we need to narrow down the issue.

So please fill this out with detail. Copy paste it into your response. We will need images of the entire enclosure lighting down as well.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Listen to her. I want to like this more. You are on the cusp, it is probably fixable at this point but you need to identify the issue first. Fill out the forms and we will help.

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
I just watched the videos on youtube so thank you for telling me not follow through I'm glad i didn't. I just thought cleaning it might make him feel better but i'll fill out all questions I would love to help my little guy!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - A veil Chameleon, Male, 3 months. It's been in my care for 2 days. (today being the second technically)
  • Handling - I only took him out in the morning to gently clean his eye other than that I want him to adjust to his new environment.
  • Feeding - Right now I have small crickets I was 100% unaware that they needed gut loaded thats my fault and i will fix that right away he had a couple this morning around 8 i put some in his cage without any calcium powder or anything. I put about 10 in there for him to hunt. If someone could help me with the right feeding process I really want him to be happy in his environment. I have this flukers calcium to feed crickets if thats not right let me know pls ! Anyone! I would love to care properly for my little guy!
  • Supplements - I use a repticalcium. I have one with d3 and one without. I use to feed my old chameleon the powder every week on her food but she was older when i purchased her. My chameleon now is only 3 months.
  • Watering - I have a little dripper going for him and I ordered a mister/fogger for him that has a timer because i do work most of my days. It should be here soon! I walked into my room yesterday and he was drinking and the moment he noticed i saw he ran away. He's shy so i just let him be.
  • Fecal Description - He hasn't been tested for any parasites. He pooped once I cleaned it right away. I watched him start to an he saw me and got super upset so i walked away an let him do his thing. The store seemed to "not know" there was an eye issue which i find very hard to believe because i noticed it very quickly.
  • History - He was the only male at the petstore and he was put in a glass drawer setup at the petstore my sister said which upsets me it makes me wanna go get the rest of them but there were 3 girl chameleons in his setup and my sister seems to think maybe they attacked him? I find it hard to believe though correct me if im wrong in any of this please! I dont care if someones rude i just want him safe!
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I don't know how big it is but i had bought just a normal cage from petsmart a long time ago for my other chameleon and im using the same one now. It's a screen cage and its tall, not too wide but when he gets bigger my dad is building him a supercage.
  • Lighting - So i have a basking light that is a 75 watt bulb the brand is a world of wonder i'm pretty sure. It says it provides uva and radiant heat. Then i have a uvb bulb from the same brand and its a 26 watt that provides uvb, uva, and visible lighting. If any of this is wrong please inform me. I turn his lights off to be honest the moment the sun goes down and i wake myself up at 6 am when the sun rises and i click his lights on.
  • Temperature - Currently I have a bad tempertaure gauge so i'm going to order a new one. But the spot it's in says 91 and its placed at the top. I found a great gauge online that'll give me better readings.
  • Humidity - I didn't have a thing to check this with my last chameleon but her cage was pretty humid. I have live plants and im waiting on the fogger/mister but i also keep the cage near my big window and i keep that open in the day time. My old chameleon lived pretty good and she seemed happy she was just alot older than the petstore told me and passed away. I want the absolute best for this little guy and idk what to get him because i have never started with a baby chameleon!
  • Plants - ficus and pothos but i have fake ones hanging inside and fake vines i have ordered tons of fake plants and sticks for my little dude and i had a hibiscus for my last one and she loved that plant. My new baby veil is interested in the pothos for some reason he keeps staring at them and going near them is that something to be concerned about?
  • Placement - My cage is near my big window I'll move it if necessary but he walked over near the sun shining thru and sat there for a little so i like that but whatever helps him i'll do ! It's on a dresser though.
  • Location - I am in located in california !
Current Problem - His eye has a little purple bulge i had gotten him like that noticed it after i brought him home! If im doing things wrong please inform me on proper care as i do care so much for him and would love to get him the proper things he needs!

I just watched the videos on youtube so thank you for telling me not follow through I'm glad i didn't. I just thought cleaning it might make him feel better but i'll fill out all questions I would love to help my little guy!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - A veil Chameleon, Male, 3 months. It's been in my care for 2 days. (today being the second technically)
  • Handling - I only took him out in the morning to gently clean his eye other than that I want him to adjust to his new environment.
  • Feeding - Right now I have small crickets I was 100% unaware that they needed gut loaded thats my fault and i will fix that right away he had a couple this morning around 8 i put some in his cage without any calcium powder or anything. I put about 10 in there for him to hunt. If someone could help me with the right feeding process I really want him to be happy in his environment. I have this flukers calcium to feed crickets if thats not right let me know pls ! Anyone! I would love to care properly for my little guy!
  • Supplements - I use a repticalcium. I have one with d3 and one without. I use to feed my old chameleon the powder every week on her food but she was older when i purchased her. My chameleon now is only 3 months.
  • Watering - I have a little dripper going for him and I ordered a mister/fogger for him that has a timer because i do work most of my days. It should be here soon! I walked into my room yesterday and he was drinking and the moment he noticed i saw he ran away. He's shy so i just let him be.
  • Fecal Description - He hasn't been tested for any parasites. He pooped once I cleaned it right away. I watched him start to an he saw me and got super upset so i walked away an let him do his thing. The store seemed to "not know" there was an eye issue which i find very hard to believe because i noticed it very quickly.
  • History - He was the only male at the petstore and he was put in a glass drawer setup at the petstore my sister said which upsets me it makes me wanna go get the rest of them but there were 3 girl chameleons in his setup and my sister seems to think maybe they attacked him? I find it hard to believe though correct me if im wrong in any of this please! I dont care if someones rude i just want him safe!
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I don't know how big it is but i had bought just a normal cage from petsmart a long time ago for my other chameleon and im using the same one now. It's a screen cage and its tall, not too wide but when he gets bigger my dad is building him a supercage.
  • Lighting - So i have a basking light that is a 75 watt bulb the brand is a world of wonder i'm pretty sure. It says it provides uva and radiant heat. Then i have a uvb bulb from the same brand and its a 26 watt that provides uvb, uva, and visible lighting. If any of this is wrong please inform me. I turn his lights off to be honest the moment the sun goes down and i wake myself up at 6 am when the sun rises and i click his lights on.
  • Temperature - Currently I have a bad tempertaure gauge so i'm going to order a new one. But the spot it's in says 91 and its placed at the top. I found a great gauge online that'll give me better readings.
  • Humidity - I didn't have a thing to check this with my last chameleon but her cage was pretty humid. I have live plants and im waiting on the fogger/mister but i also keep the cage near my big window and i keep that open in the day time. My old chameleon lived pretty good and she seemed happy she was just alot older than the petstore told me and passed away. I want the absolute best for this little guy and idk what to get him because i have never started with a baby chameleon!
  • Plants - ficus and pothos but i have fake ones hanging inside and fake vines i have ordered tons of fake plants and sticks for my little dude and i had a hibiscus for my last one and she loved that plant. My new baby veil is interested in the pothos for some reason he keeps staring at them and going near them is that something to be concerned about?
  • Placement - My cage is near my big window I'll move it if necessary but he walked over near the sun shining thru and sat there for a little so i like that but whatever helps him i'll do ! It's on a dresser though.
Current Problem - His eye has a little purple bulge i had gotten him like that noticed it after i brought him home! If im doing things wrong please inform me on proper care as i do care so much for him and would love to get him the proper things he needs!
Also when i took a luke warm q tip softly to his eye this morning once he realized it was warm water he started rubbing his eye against my hand Idk if this helps anything but that happened and i didn't know if it was ok for him to clean his eye on my hand so i stopped him and misted the cage and put him back in it there should be an actual mister coming in the mail though! I had to get rid of the old one from my past chameleon , which was just a fogger anyways

@TabithaElaine ok see all my feedback in bold. Per the eye it looks as though he is trying to clean it. So you do not want to take a qtip to it. If there is something in the eye misting is what will help him clear it. My concern here is the potential for this to be an issue of lighting as well. So we need to correct the husbandry. This is going to be a ton of feedback...

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - A veil Chameleon, Male, 3 months. It's been in my care for 2 days. (today being the second technically) Are you positive it is a Male? Does he have tarsal spurs?
  • Handling - I only took him out in the morning to gently clean his eye other than that I want him to adjust to his new environment. For now just leave him be. It can take a week or two to acclimate.
  • Feeding - Right now I have small crickets I was 100% unaware that they needed gut loaded thats my fault and i will fix that right away he had a couple this morning around 8 i put some in his cage without any calcium powder or anything. I put about 10 in there for him to hunt. If someone could help me with the right feeding process I really want him to be happy in his environment. I have this flukers calcium to feed crickets if thats not right let me know pls ! Anyone! I would love to care properly for my little guy! So with this you have to always dust your feeders with the correct supplements. I will get to rotation in the next section but we dust them to balance the calcium to phosphorus level of the feeders. Otherwise the phosphorus levels are too high. At this age your going to feed him as much as he will want 15-25 feeders every morning easy. A feeder run is recommended so that if any survive the day they do not bite baby while he sleeps. I will post links at the bottom. Get rid of your flukers cricket food. It is not good. I will post an image for gutload either pick all fresh in the variety stated or go with a commercial brand like repashy bug burger.
  • Supplements - I use a repticalcium. I have one with d3 and one without. I use to feed my old chameleon the powder every week on her food but she was older when i purchased her. My chameleon now is only 3 months. The calcium with D3 Should be given every other week at one feeding and you need a multivitamin like Reptivite without D3 to give every other week. These two rotate at one feeding day week to week. So that each are only given 2 times a month. Then the calcium WITHOUT D3 is used at every feeding you do except on your other supplement days. You will continue with this rotation the life of the chameleon.
  • Watering - I have a little dripper going for him and I ordered a mister/fogger for him that has a timer because i do work most of my days. It should be here soon! I walked into my room yesterday and he was drinking and the moment he noticed i saw he ran away. He's shy so i just let him be. Which one did you order? Fogging is only for night time when temps are below 68. Misting should only be done morning and evening.
  • Fecal Description - He hasn't been tested for any parasites. He pooped once I cleaned it right away. I watched him start to an he saw me and got super upset so i walked away an let him do his thing. The store seemed to "not know" there was an eye issue which i find very hard to believe because i noticed it very quickly. Fecals are important to ensure there is not a parasite issue. A vet should be able to run one without seeing him but if it were to come back positive then they would have to see him for treatment.
  • History - He was the only male at the petstore and he was put in a glass drawer setup at the petstore my sister said which upsets me it makes me wanna go get the rest of them but there were 3 girl chameleons in his setup and my sister seems to think maybe they attacked him? I find it hard to believe though correct me if im wrong in any of this please! I dont care if someones rude i just want him safe! Babies will pick on each other this is why they get moved into separate cages typically by the time they are 2 months old. Sounds like the husbandry in the store was bad as well.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I don't know how big it is but i had bought just a normal cage from petsmart a long time ago for my other chameleon and im using the same one now. It's a screen cage and its tall, not too wide but when he gets bigger my dad is building him a supercage. sounds good. He will need at least a 2x2x4 cage within a few months.
  • Lighting - So i have a basking light that is a 75 watt bulb the brand is a world of wonder i'm pretty sure. It says it provides uva and radiant heat. Then i have a uvb bulb from the same brand and its a 26 watt that provides uvb, uva, and visible lighting. If any of this is wrong please inform me. I turn his lights off to be honest the moment the sun goes down and i wake myself up at 6 am when the sun rises and i click his lights on. So this sounds like the incorrect uvb lighting. If they are screw in bulbs for UVB then it is and we need to correct this asap. You want a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb then basking branch would be 8-9 inches below for the correct UVI level. You want him on roughly a 12 hour on and 12 hour total darkness. You can set a timer for this and it is easier then manually having to be there to stick to the schedule.
  • Temperature - Currently I have a bad tempertaure gauge so i'm going to order a new one. But the spot it's in says 91 and its placed at the top. I found a great gauge online that'll give me better readings. So this is way too hot for baby. 80 Max at the branch. You want a guage that has a wired probe to hook in at basking for accurate readings. Drop the basking bulb wattage to a 60 watt or raise the heat fixture.
  • Humidity - I didn't have a thing to check this with my last chameleon but her cage was pretty humid. I have live plants and im waiting on the fogger/mister but i also keep the cage near my big window and i keep that open in the day time. My old chameleon lived pretty good and she seemed happy she was just alot older than the petstore told me and passed away. I want the absolute best for this little guy and idk what to get him because i have never started with a baby chameleon! So with Veileds they need 30-40% during the day... Not higher. Live plants help up ambient humidity. Get a gauge. Govee makes a good one that has an app for your phone. Just do not put it in a direct spray path https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Make sure the window does not get direct sun. This can create really hot temps especially in the summer.
  • Plants - ficus and pothos but i have fake ones hanging inside and fake vines i have ordered tons of fake plants and sticks for my little dude and i had a hibiscus for my last one and she loved that plant. My new baby veil is interested in the pothos for some reason he keeps staring at them and going near them is that something to be concerned about? Veileds eat their plants. So no fake plants in the enclosure they are an impaction risk. You can hook them to the outside to provide more cover though. Do not use exo terra jungle vines these have pieces that come off and can get stuck in their eyes. Flukers is the only one that makes fake branches that I would trust with chams. Make sure you cover the dirt in the plants with 1 inch or larger rocks to keep baby from eating the dirt and keep feeders out of it.

Feeder run you can buy and my favorite for screen cages and crickets: https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Or make your own: https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/

UVB lighting: This fixture in a 24 inch https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html
This bulb in a 22 inch https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-6-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html

Safe plants get veiled tested from the link: https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Start reading through this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom