Chameleon "experts" (and to those looking for a first time chameleon)

Apologies. Usually that sentence translates into "omg! I just found one I want!" among many hobbyists.

Lol no sir. I'm the type that researches as much as I can before doing or buying something. Matt being my mentor I naturally ask him about stuff I've read but I also like to broaden my horizons by talking with other long time keepers to see what has worked for them. Though at the moment, my parsons research is looking fruitless as far as actually owning one since my wife doesn't want to budge on giving up half of that room lol.

Lol no sir. I'm the type that researches as much as I can before doing or buying something. Matt being my mentor I naturally ask him about stuff I've read but I also like to broaden my horizons by talking with other long time keepers to see what has worked for them. Though at the moment, my parsons research is looking fruitless as far as actually owning one since my wife doesn't want to budge on giving up half of that room lol.

You have to let her hold one. Tell her she can name it too. Yes.... I can sell anything...... I'm the guy wearing the long coat who offers you a selection of watches from inside it...

There have been quite a few at reptile shows lately. No clue where you live but you may want to drive over to one... with her...

We're near Tampa, I'll probably have to try for Daytona this year and hope there are some again @Decadancin. We did go to the Tampa one last year but it was all veiled or panthers though. I know she likes them I just think it's more about giving up the space they require to me for her lol.

Honestly, I wasn't happy they were there. It likely will send the wrong message to many who are not ready to keep these amazing chameleons and lead to some failures and many of the same issues that plague panthers and veileds. Hopefully not, but I worry.

I remember as a child I would visit the vivarium in Berkeley Ca regularly and drool over the chameleon selection they had just wishing I could have one. Up until I was about 15 reptiles and amphibians were my world. I was also into the ocean and reef environments. I had books and magazines that would fill up a small room, so they were kept in my garage. What I wish is that I would’ve continued in the hobby but after 16 years in the navy then place to place to place I thought I’d be lost as a reef keeper and reptile owner.

I did struggle through the hardknocks of the hobbies but I was surprised at how much retained knowledge from childhood came right back to me. Sometimes through loss but mostly through victories. There was still a lot of reading that I did to completely understand the environment I was responsible for.

Thank you to oldchamkeeper for posting this thread. It brings it all home to just how things are meant to be a good pet owner. I myself have made some typing errors in giving advice, (I hope I’m not one of the bad ones you wrote of). The fact is that the care sheets provided here are a perfect tool for anyone as a first timer. Relying on the local pet store and flipping through the posts on forums isn’t the proper method to learn. Being disciplined and finding great resources like the experts hear are the way to go. Nothing helps more than self learning. Your brain will retain knowledge long after you forgot about it. That is, of course, if you are a true enthusiast!!

Here’s some pics of my lovely pets.
105E85C9-2B27-462F-85D2-86BA2DCDC840.jpeg
4F1070CA-CEE5-4ED6-B4AD-6731CE03B4BD.jpeg

I remember as a child I would visit the vivarium in Berkeley Ca regularly and drool over the chameleon selection they had just wishing I could have one. Up until I was about 15 reptiles and amphibians were my world. I was also into the ocean and reef environments. I had books and magazines that would fill up a small room, so they were kept in my garage. What I wish is that I would’ve continued in the hobby but after 16 years in the navy then place to place to place I thought I’d be lost as a reef keeper and reptile owner.

I did struggle through the hardknocks of the hobbies but I was surprised at how much retained knowledge from childhood came right back to me. Sometimes through loss but mostly through victories. There was still a lot of reading that I did to completely understand the environment I was responsible for.

Thank you to oldchamkeeper for posting this thread. It brings it all home to just how things are meant to be a good pet owner. I myself have made some typing errors in giving advice, (I hope I’m not one of the bad ones you wrote of). The fact is that the care sheets provided here are a perfect tool for anyone as a first timer. Relying on the local pet store and flipping through the posts on forums isn’t the proper method to learn. Being disciplined and finding great resources like the experts hear are the way to go. Nothing helps more than self learning. Your brain will retain knowledge long after you forgot about it. That is, of course, if you are a true enthusiast!!

Here’s some pics of my lovely pets.View attachment 220748View attachment 220749
Yes, this forum I am finding is such a wonderful tool. I have learned so much from these enthusiasts that have the time and knowledge and are willing to share their information.

Honestly, I wasn't happy they were there. It likely will send the wrong message to many who are not ready to keep these amazing chameleons and lead to some failures and many of the same issues that plague panthers and veileds. Hopefully not, but I worry.

We didn't go to the second Tampa convention after seeing that back table at the first one of the year. When I am ready for one, I'm hoping to be able to go through Primo for the purchase. I've not talked with him yet about buying one since I'm not ready (and I don't believe he's got any available for several months yet) but his always look exceptional from what I've seen.

Start out with a young one, get the Atrium from Dragon Strand. Then like I described in my huge post, get another one later and add on to the original cage. She might go for that

Currently it's more a matter of me talking her into boxing up some of her collectables and availability lol. If not, when I'm ready and he has some available, I'll probably just move two of my tanks to storage to free up an 8 ft section in the room.

We didn't go to the second Tampa convention after seeing that back table at the first one of the year. When I am ready for one, I'm hoping to be able to go through Primo for the purchase. I've not talked with him yet about buying one since I'm not ready (and I don't believe he's got any available for several months yet) but his always look exceptional from what I've seen.

Currently it's more a matter of me talking her into boxing up some of her collectables and availability lol. If not, when I'm ready and he has some available, I'll probably just move two of my tanks to storage to free up an 8 ft section in the room.

UUUUHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If she has collectibles and you already have 8ft worth of tanks...I could see why she is reluctant to cede space to you.

Sounds like you either lose the tanks for Parson or you build a green house outback.

UUUUHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If she has collectibles and you already have 8ft worth of tanks...I could see why she is reluctant to cede space to you.

Sounds like you either lose the tanks for Parson or you build a green house outback.

Lol, likely losing my tanks. Already tried to float the greenhouse idea and she wasn't very keen on it.

@Carlton You got a deremensis to bite you? Was he really trying to give you a message or did he think there was something on your ear good to eat? This one goes down in the books. T. deremensis attacks are few and far between! :)
I know! I had very little to do with it as far as I could tell. To this day I still have no theory why he did it. It really came out of the blue (yeah, that was intentional :p). He was an odd little dude especially when the red lipstick was glowing.

Back
Top Bottom