Chameleon Emergency

Petercha

CHAMELEON EMERGENCY!

My chameleon started to get a little bit of a puffy eye yesterday and refused to eat or drink. Now her eye is huge and she only keeps it open half the time, she also keeps attempting to rub it and the eye is watering. There is no vet available for 3 days! I’m going to assume it’s an infection mixed with a little bit of vitamin A deficiency. Are there any antibiotics anyone would suggest? And are there any vitamin a drops anyone recommends? Also if there is an antibiotic you suggest what would be the dosage? Iv heard good things about metronidazole and panacur for infections and parasites. I really would appreciate all the help I can get.

Attachments

• 00033CD2-7688-489E-A31D-DD634A9DCBDA.jpeg
    00033CD2-7688-489E-A31D-DD634A9DCBDA.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 3A49C90B-0CA6-4C07-98F4-C97FD1EC19DD.jpeg
    3A49C90B-0CA6-4C07-98F4-C97FD1EC19DD.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi and welcome. I’m sorry that your chameleon isn’t doing so well. A vet visit is definitely your best action. As for medications, the vet is the best one to determine what, if any is best. You could try giving her an extra long misting session to see if that helps (don’t spray her directly though). That black vine that you have is notorious for shedding tiny particles which can become trapped in cham eyes as they rub their faces when shedding. What supplements have you been using and with what schedule? Can you post a pic of your entire enclosure, including your lights?

Welcome to the forum
CHAMELEON EMERGENCY!

My chameleon started to get a little bit of a puffy eye yesterday and refused to eat or drink. Now her eye is huge and she only keeps it open half the time, she also keeps attempting to rub it and the eye is watering. There is no vet available for 3 days! I’m going to assume it’s an infection mixed with a little bit of vitamin A deficiency. Are there any antibiotics anyone would suggest? And are there any vitamin a drops anyone recommends? Also if there is an antibiotic you suggest what would be the dosage? Iv heard good things about metronidazole and panacur for infections and parasites. I really would appreciate all the help I can get.
Yeah, I agree with what MissSkittles said, and IMO it's vet time.

You have a couple of possible options to waiting the 3 days.
  1. Find another herp vet that can see you sooner.
  2. See if there's an emergency clinic you can take her to. This will cost more, but if you call they should give you their fee schedule.
Up to you. In the meantime, keep her hydrated as best you can. Best Wishes.

Back
Top Bottom