Chameleon eggs splitting.

Kaylee123

This has happen to 5 eggs now. Why is this happening?

Attachments

• IMG_2423.jpeg
    IMG_2423.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 29
I can’t help you with an answer as I know almost nothing about eggs. I do know that those who may have an answer will want to know how you’ve been keeping them - temps and humidity and how moist your hatching substrate is.

I can’t help you with an answer as I know almost nothing about eggs. I do know that those who may have an answer will want to know how you’ve been keeping them - temps and humidity and how moist your hatching substrate is.
You mentioned the things i was going to ask of temps, humidity, and egg substrate dampness 👍

I keep them in an incubator & it’s around 75 degrees & they’re sitting on pebbles. I don’t know what they are called but I bought them at an expo. The rocks are not soaked. I pat dry them with a paper towel so it’s not too much water.

I keep them in an incubator & it’s around 75 degrees & they’re sitting on pebbles. I don’t know what they are called but I bought them at an expo. The rocks are not soaked. I pat dry them with a paper towel so it’s not too much water.
I feel like the set up is pretty good but I just don’t understand why the eggs “burst”

As far as I know most keepers that are breeders use vermiculite. as far as an incubator unless they have to go through a serious diapause it’s not necessary most panthers and veiled are hatched out of a closet where the temperature stay around 70° as I am not an expert just going off information I’ve seen I would suspect temperatures are too high and eggs are too dry .

As far as I know most keepers that are breeders use vermiculite. as far as an incubator unless they have to go through a serious diapause it’s not necessary most panthers and veiled are hatched out of a closet where the temperature stay around 70° as I am not an expert just going off information I’ve seen I would suspect temperatures are too high and eggs are too dry .

The reason why they are in a incubator is cause I don’t have a ac unit I use window ac & my house is usually around 66 - 70
(If it’s cold outside it gets really cold inside. I just didn’t want them to die. )

Can you post a photo of the container you’re incubating the eggs in please? Is there a lid on it? Condensation on the under side of the lid?
Are these panther eggs?

You may find some helpful information here too…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/incubation-of-eggs….191639/

Can you post a photo of the container you’re incubating the eggs in please? Is there a lid on it? Condensation on the under side of the lid?
Are these panther eggs?
sorry, I’m not sure why the lid is so blurry. Anyways here are the eggs, & yes Panther

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpeg
    IMG_2436.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 21
Are the eggs that are splitting all in the same area of the container?
How many months/days have they been incubating?

I can’t tell if that’s moisture on the lid since the photo is blurry…is it?

I’ve never used pebbles to incubate eggs on, so I won’t comment on that. From what I know, eggs that split like that do so because of too much moisture in the substrate.

I’m new to this hobby (and community) and want to ask since it’s mentioned here: is a slight amount of moisture/humidity in an incubator ok or should there be none at all?

Last edited:
I have not raise a cham egg. But i got split reptile eggs due to fert eggs rotting. The egg would die, and burst from the outgassing/swelling. Slugs on the other hand never swelled/burst/split, they just rotted and collapsed.

I’m new to this hobby (and community) and want to ask since it’s mentioned here: is a slight amount of moisture/humidity in an incubator ok or should there be none at all?
You need some humidity in the container that the eggs are in…so having beads of water on the lid of the container the eggs are in is good. I never used a regular incubator so someone else will have to tell you if the actual incubator has to hold some humidity or not.

(My incubator consisted of a human heating pad under a screen and wood frame on top of which the containers of eggs were placed.)

Are the eggs that are splitting all in the same area of the container?
How many months/days have they been incubating?

I can’t tell if that’s moisture on the lid since the photo is blurry…is it?

I’ve never used pebbles to incubate eggs on, so I won’t comment on that. From what I know, eggs that split like that do so because of too much moisture in the substrate.
So the ones that are splitting are in random spots but I did move them to one area so it doesn’t affect the other eggs & Dec 30th is when they hit 6m. & on the lid it’s not moist i poked some holes to let some of the humidity out.

Back
Top Bottom