Chameleon eats plant

Davdev17

I have a veiled chameleon who has eaten a lot of his plant. How can I get him to stop eating it? Would it stop him from eating it if I gave him vegetables?

Veileds are known for eating plant matter. Its a way to keep themselves hydrated, so maybe mist him a little more. You cant really stop them from doing it, but just make sure that all of the plants in his cage are safe for chams and any fake plants are non-toxic

What species of plant is it? You might just want to buy a plant for him that you're ok with him eating (when he's done eating that one-if it's safe to eat, of course). Don't forget to wash the new plant's leaves first with soap and water after taking it home from the store! Most stores sell plants that have been coated with insect poisons. I did that with my Umbrella plant when I brought it home from the store for my cham. It took a while to clean all of the leaves, but I slept better knowing that the pesticide residue was mostly gone.

I added a link to a list of edible plants that I use for turtles. They're probably safe for chams too, but don't quote me on that. Hope it helps!

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/edible.html

I have a veiled chameleon who has eaten a lot of his plant. How can I get him to stop eating it? Would it stop him from eating it if I gave him vegetables?

i buy a bag of "spring mix" from walmart in the fresh veggie/fruit section and my chameleon has stopped eating his plants entirely because he likes the greens more

so yes if you provide him with a "salad" every day there is a good chance he will stop eating his plants.

How would you suggest feeding him the greens? Should I attach a cup to the inside of his cage and put greens in it?

yes that is what i did but instead of a cup i used one of the tiny 2oz tupperwares. i used wire and now it's like a little cup holder. my guy puts his front feet on the bowl and shoots his tongue and grabs it piece by piece.. its really funny

Back
Top Bottom