Chameleon dosent look well please help

PurpelesKoowaid

my chameleon "watch" hasent been eating for 5 days he refuses crikets and veggies. about 7 days ago he didn't eat so we gave him 4 wax worms then we stopped because we didn't want him to get chubby. We keep trying crikets and veggies he loved carrots but now isn't interested so that's one problem. And 4 days ago he fell and then 2 days after that one of his eyes turned super swollen i will attach a picture and the other eye seems really small . also we feed the crikets flunkers high calcium criket diet and flunkers orange cubes complete. and we dust the crikets in zoo meds repti calcium and for the veggies we dust them in zoo meds repetitive, and if you know anything about this please reply
also the left eye is the big one

Attachments

• l v r 1.jpg
    l v r 1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 160
  • l v r 3.jpg
    l v r 3.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 183
  • l 1.jpg
    l 1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 184
  • l 33.jpg
    l 33.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 218
  • l v r 2.jpg
    l v r 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
You said you use flukers "high calcium criket diet and flunkers orange cubes complete"... I don't recommend either of them. I use dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, collards, etc and carrrots, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini etc and a small amount of fruit such as berries, melon, Apple, pear, etc. to feed/gutload the insects with.

I dust at most feedings lightly with a phos free calcium powder...twice a month with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month lily with a vitamin powder containing a prOformed (beta carotene) source of vitamin A. If needed...you can give the chameleon a very small dose of a prEFormed Vitamin A.
D3from supplements and prEformed vitamin A can build up in the system and cause health issues.

I would take the chameleon to the vets for the eye because there's not really anything we can recommend to do on your own.

Please post a photo of ythe heels of the chameleon...it looks like a female. If it is...it will need a lay bin in its cage in case it produces eggs.

Please go to a vet asap. That swelling is more than likely due to an infection in the back of the membrane, which will quickly lead to blindness and then eventual death. Not to get you scared, but infections in reptiles go south quickly. The other eye is smaller because of the same thing, an infection will cause loss of appetite which will cause dehydration, thus the eye membrane pulling back to try and get moisture from the pocket behind the eye where its stored. Long story short you need a vet, we cant do anything for you here. But please keep us posted.

how can you tell and where do I put the bin
Because I’ve been doing this for years....
Vet first, husbandry fixes second.

Veild sex

Sexual dimorphism in Chamaeleo calyptratus alias

Sexing Yemen chameleons

In the Yemen chameleons, the sexes differ in many features from each other. They show the s.c. Primary sexual dimorphism, which is expressed through

the presence of sexual glands (testes with ductus deferens in males and ovaries with oviducts in females) and copulatory organs (hemipenes in males, hemiclitoris in females).

The problem for sexing animals is, that some of these organs (first group) are situated in the body cavity and some (the second group) in special pockets at the base if the tail, none of them are invisible from outside. There is a technique how to evert the hemipenis, but in young animals and in animals which are dehydrated, old or out of breeding season, it does not work reliably, plus, it might be painful for the animal and is definitely rather stressful, especially if done by an inexperienced owner, therefore not recommended.

Fortunately, there are several Secondary sexual characteristics, that allow us to define the sex rather reliably, especially in adult animals:

SIZE The males are much bigger than the females, they can reach up to 30in / 19in resp, usually stay much smaller

BODY PROPORTIONS The females are built more slender with smaller heads

TAIL BASE Due to the presence of male copulatory organs, hemipenes, the tail base behind cloacal is thicker/swollen in males

TARSAL SPUR Males have a prominent knob-like protuberance on the heels, while female lack them. This characteristic is is well

Visible from hatchlings already. Through inbreeding and improper incubation temperatures and regime, however, we can see more and more females with differently developed spurs as well as males with small or lacking spurs.

CASQUE The casque in males is much higher than in females. Through mistakes in incubation and after sterilization, some females can grow very high casques and resemble a fully developed casque of males.

DORSAL CREST The conical scales on the dorsal crest are relatively much bigger in males

GULAR CREST The conical scales on the gular crest are relatively much bigger in males, plus they are usually orange in males and white in females

COLORATION The general pattern is in both sexes same, however due the ability to change the color, some skin areas melt in color with each other. The diagnostic features are: orange spots on the flanks possess only females while bright yellow transversal bands on the flanks are confined to males only.

For reliable sex determination, all aspects need to be taken in consideration. In doubt, ask experienced colleagues in for assistance.

Other species of chameleons possess same primary but partly or fully different secondary sexual characteristics...

The left column relates always to male, the right to females

They show the differences(top down) in:

Table 1:

General habitus

Head form and casques relative size Tarsal spurs
Table 2: Gular crest Tail base Dorsal crest

Back
Top Bottom