Chameleon Doesn't Bask

CraigW

Hey guys, just a question about my Female Veiled Cham, I think shes about 4 or 5 months old, not 100% sure, (pics in my other thread) and she really doesnt seem to bask at all? why is this?

She has a basking lamp but she's always to the side of it and never directly in the light? the basking spot is at about 35 to 40 degrees celcius (Woot Canada :p) all the other spots are around 25 so the temps arn't too shabby and the humidity is around 50% i beleive, higher when i mist (3 times a day) she's eating really well, too much for me to afford or my local pet shop to keep up with :p, crickets, phenix worms, meal worms and butter worms, multiviatmins, calcium all the works, I dunno what else to say.... lemme know what u think :) thanx!

-Craig

Its probably just too hot directly under the light. She's probably just keeping herself at a distance that feels just right in terms of temperature. If you lift the light higher away from the top of the cage so that the basking spot is a tad cooler, you might see her directly underneath it.

Thats just my guess....

Indeed, 35-40°C is a high temperature even for a veiled (95-104°F) - though some breeders in literature seem to be successful with 38°C (100°C).
Depends on where the cham comes from if wild caught (had the same problem with geckos who were accustomed to low maxima in temperature), and what it was used to before you bought it; also, it may just be the cool type, you know, colors and tastes...;)

im from Canada too! but the 40C is waay to hot! if she is less than 5 months don't go hotter than 30C. 25-28C basking spot for a young cham is best! so maybe create more distance between her and the hot spot. the ambient temp should be lower at about 20C. please try to change it and let me know if it helps! my cham Marley is just over 5 months old and is 4" head to bum... although i do think that he is a bit small for his age.

I order all my crix at 1/2" and they dont grow too much more than that by the time she eats them, I also am feeding her lots of mealies and phenix worms. The problem had to be the temps, she also keeps her mouth open for long periods of time which has recently stopped since I lifted the basking bulb. The problem really begins with the room she's in (My Room). The temps are really quite cold, I have a 150W basking bulb which is quite a bit higher than recommended, but its the only thing I could find to keep temps high in the winter months. Also, does anyone know a good Canadian Cham breeder?
I'm looking to buy a baby veiled but I can't find any at local stores...

Thanx.

-Craig

craig.
A few things...
your over heating your animal.
they're able to regulate their own temp
all you need to do is allow them to do it.

The heat source is much too close and hot.
her open mouth gaping is an attempt to evaporate water
from her mouth and lower her temps
that is fighting against a high humidity..
she's likely feeling a bit stuffy in there.

secondly, broad siding the heat source is her attempt to modify
the light/heat with her needs. I've seen too many males that have actually
burned their spine ridge by having a heat source too close to the cage
and them butting themselves right up against it until they burn.
you don't want that at all.
females can get burned too.
I would use a 40-60 w bulb as a heat source and prop it up at an angle against your UV tube housing.
they're able to do nicely with less then your giving them. (cup overflowing)

watch her behavior and "read it" she'll tell you what you need to know
best of luck

Back
Top Bottom