chameleon dispersal and radiation

italian chameleon

Hi
I'm writing an extended essay on chameleon biogeography,
I have already collected a good number of relevant journal articles about things like dispersal and speciation, I was wondering if there is any fundamental textbook or published study I should be aware of, and possibly include in my discussion.
Can you help?

Are you doing it for present day or as a history?

for present day but I need to mention evolutionary history as well. i found some good journal articles about the ocean dispersal vs vicariance hypotesis and I think that will be the main focus of my essay. I'd like to mention madagascar and the theory of island biogeography as well.
I just started working on it so I'm not 100% sure about how to structure it yet
anyway it should be something like:

Chameleon distribution: Vicariance, Oceanic Dispersal or both? A literature review on the distribution of Chameleonidae with particular reference to Madagascar Biogeography.

sub headings

-Intro on Chameleons in general (taxonomy morphology and current range)
-Evolutionary history (reference to fossil evidence)
-Distribution ocean vs gondwana vicariance
-Madagascar (Island biogeography theory and Madagascar endemism )
-Conclusion : limits of the research

what do you think about it?

Not including Africa or Europe, etc?
Introduction to Hawaii or the southern States?

I just realized is not extended at all , I have a word limit of 2500!!:eek:

I will surely include african chams and I'll talk about european chams, when discussing the ocean dispersal hypothesis

not sure about hawaii and southern states cause i wanted to focus more on madagascar (biggest cham diversity there).

if i want to talk about human introductions as in the case of hawaii and florida i need to broaden the discussion area. i think i should slightly change the title too.

however, some studies suggest that even chameleons of italy and spain (which i m goin to discuss) were introduced by man in ancient times so maybe i can mention human introduction in modern times at that point

i don't know, there's so much to talk about.....any ideas?

(not asking you to do my homework i just wanted to share my ideas cause i thought it's an interesting topic! )

Back
Top Bottom