Chameleon died, please help me figure out why

Holvure

Chameleon info:

• Your Chameleon: Male veiled chameleon, about 10 months old at time of death; about 8-9 months old when symptoms began to show. Had him for about 5-6 months.
• Handling: about 30 to an hour every other day on week days; 1-2 hours daily on weekends
• Feeding: 6-8 crickets daily around 5:30pm, occasionally with a super worm. I feed the crickets Fluker's Orange Cubes cricket diet, Fluker's cricket quencher, occasionally apple slices or strawberry pieces.
• Supplements: I dust the crickets that I'm feeding him at that given feeding with Zoo Med Repitcalcium (without D3) right before giving them to him. Twice a month I do this with the same supplement with D3
• Watering: before symptoms began to show, I only misted the cage, and I would do it once every hour or so pretty generously (except for when I'm at school, 8:30am-5pm). Once symptoms started to show, I purchased a dripper which was left on throughout the day. I still misted on the same schedule.
• Fecal Description: I'm not sure how to specifically describe his feces, but they were firm and dark brown. The substrate packet was usually large and white with a little liquid along with it, but once symptoms began to show, they were often slightly yellow, or had orange on the end.
• History: I purchased him from a pet store, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. He was always very active before his knee started to swell. He did lose four nails (two in each from foot) by catching them in the screen on his cage. I put plastic chicken wire on the sides to prevent any more from coming off, which worked. Upon our first vet visit, the vet took x-rays. There were no broken bones and nothing out of the ordinary showed up on the pictures. They told us that he has a very strong grip, even with the leg in question.

Cage info:

• Cage type: I had him in a 24x24x48" metal screen cage. Before he was 8 months, I kept him in a 16x16x36" metal screen cage. I moved him into the bigger one because I figured he needed more room.
• Lighting: I used a Zoo Med light fixture and Zoo Med bulbs. One was a heat bulb, the other a UVB.
• Temperature: during the day, it's about 75-80°F around the top, a bit higher in his basking spot. I'm sure the bottom is a little lower but he never went down to the bottom. At night, the temp drops to around 67-75°F. I've got a battery powered thermometer/hygrometer to measure it.
• Humidity: it was always between 50-80% humidity. The only reason it dropped to 50% was during the day while I'm at school, and once I got home I made sure to keep it above 60%. I use the battery powered thermometer/hygrometer to measure it. I maintain the humidity by misting.
• Plants: I use both live and fake plants. The live ones that I use are a ficus and a bromeliad.
• Placement: his smaller cage was located by a vent, but with the larger cage I moved him to the dining room. There aren't any fans or vents around. The area has relatively high traffic. My family and I walk through the room frequently, but not directly past the cage. I go in to look at him a lot, though. And i don't want him to feel isolated. The top of the cage is four feet from the floor of the room.
• Location: I live on the west coast of Florida. It's hot here, and pretty humid most of the year. Perfect environment for the little guy. It rarely gets cold even through winter, but when it would, we put out a space heater for him to make sure he didn't get cold.

CURRENT PROBLEM:
Okay, so I keep mentioning symptoms. At about 8-9 months old my mom and I noticed him holding his left back leg off off of branches when resting, and upon further inspection, I noticed that the knee on that leg was swollen. I did some research and made the guess that it was gout. We took him the the vet and they told us they definitely didn't think it was gout. Took some x-rays, nothing abnormal. They said he was very healthy and I'm great shape, which, other than the knee, he was! They prescribed some anti-inflammatories and sent us home. Things didn't get better. Two vet visits later with a different doctor, the new doctor decided it was most likely gout. She didn't have the medicine, but said she would try to find it. They prescribed us another type of medicine as well, which he hated. It made him lose his appetite. His movement also began to quickly decline. Also, small bumps began to show up along his tail. They weren't the vertebrae. They were of various sizes (they were also getting bigger over time) and the vet said they could be gout deposits. Soon, he wouldn't eat or drink at all. His eyes became sunken in, and he was losing a lot of weight. The vet gave us a liquid food which we gave him as instructed by her, and we gave him water via a syringe. He was always tired. Soon, he couldn't hold onto branches anymore. We turned his smaller cage on its side, put a sandblasted grape vine, his bromeliad (to help maintain the moisture), and a towel to line the bottom. He died a few days later.

My question is: what do you all think was wrong with him?? I'm not entirely convinced it was gout, although that's the most sensible answer that I can come up with. Whatever it is, what do you think caused this? Was it something on my part as his caretaker? Could he have been genetically bad from the beginning due to bad breeding? I just want to understand. He was so young and he was my first, I did everything I could. I do want to get another soon, maybe a panther, and I want to get it from a private breeder. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. If I was making some kind of mistake as a first time owner, I want to fix it. Please help me out here everyone, I want to give the next little guy I get a better life than Bailey had.

Any help or advice is so greatly appreciated. Thank you

You're supplementation schedule was wrong and yellow and orange in his poop is a sign of dehydration. Sorry for your loss. Swelling in the joints can be an early sign of MBD. Also I'd recommend a better gutload for his feeders

I am so sorry for your loss. It really sucks when that happens.

I agree with @Nursemaia and everything she said.

You will need to fix the supplements and a much better gut load for your next cham. You should have been giving a multivitimin twice a month as well.

Aslo, your temps were too low. Basking spot for a Juvenile Veiled should be 85 and once he passes 9 months it can go up to 90-95.

Read over the care sheets and commit to getting your set up running for a few weeks according to what it says before adding another cham. And make sure to sanitize the cage very well with bleach water.

I would also suggest investing in an automatic mister since you are gone at school for most of the day.

I am so sorry for your loss. It really sucks when that happens.

I agree with @Nursemaia and everything she said.

You will need to fix the supplements and a much better gut load for your next cham. You should have been giving a multivitimin twice a month as well.

Aslo, your temps were too low. Basking spot for a Juvenile Veiled should be 85 and once he passes 9 months it can go up to 90-95.

Read over the care sheets and commit to getting your set up running for a few weeks according to what it says before adding another cham. And make sure to sanitize the cage very well with bleach water.

I would also suggest investing in an automatic mister since you are gone at school for most of the day.
What should the supplement schedule be?

Also, I'll make sure the clean everything with bleach water. What about the live plants, though? If I leave them outside for a few months and water them regularly, will they be alright to put with another cham? Or do I need to buy new ones?

Plain Calcium with NO D3 daily
Calcium with D3 twice a month
Multivitamin twice a month

You weren't that far off with it.
Okay, I can do that. I did try doing it before but it seemed like the crickets would just track it all over their water gelatin stuff, and then they couldn't get the water out of it. Is there something else I should be using or can they still get the water from it and I just can't tell?

Were you handling him that much to do his treatments? That's a lot of handling otherwise.
No, it wasn't to do his treatments, but he seemed to enjoy coming out. Especially when he got to go outside. Like I said he was very active and he liked to roam around the living room and garden when've he came out.

Oh I get it. We take our out to out door cages daily weather permitting. I've just seen people have them run hand over hand and can't be that fun for the chameleon.

Well swelling could either be the early sign of MBD, but if it was more localized around the joints it was more likely gout in my opinion. But also you said he had ripped some nails? Did the vets ever talk about him having a possible infection in his leg? That could kill him quick. Depending on the meds he was put on that caused him to lose his appetite, sadly a lot of the go to and old stand by meds for reptile care is pretty horrible on chameleon systems.

Well swelling could either be the early sign of MBD, but if it was more localized around the joints it was more likely gout in my opinion. But also you said he had ripped some nails? Did the vets ever talk about him having a possible infection in his leg? That could kill him quick. Depending on the meds he was put on that caused him to lose his appetite, sadly a lot of the go to and old stand by meds for reptile care is pretty horrible on chameleon systems.
All the nails he'd lost were on his front feet, and in was the back left knee that was swollen. He did have a toenail on the foot of that leg that had been dislodged but hadn't fallen out, but I don't think they were connected. I suppose they could have been, but wouldn't it have caused an infection in the foot rather than up in his knee? It was very lumpy and hard as well, I forgot to mention that in the original post

His entire leg would have gotten swollen if it was an infection likely and it would have very been a bone infection by the you took him in. And that is usually a death sentence. But gout isn't easy to manage either. It causes eventual death and the only way I know how people deal with it in chameleons is pain management and certain meds that can be harsh on them. Gout can be caused by various things in chameleons. If you were feeding meat proteins of any type to your feeders they often transfer gout. Of course your gutload needed to be worked on, but from what I know flukers though a crap gutload, does not have ingredients that cause gout. He also sounds like he needed a lot more water than what you were providing in general.

His entire leg would have gotten swollen if it was an infection likely and it would have very been a bone infection by the you took him in. And that is usually a death sentence. But gout isn't easy to manage either. It causes eventual death and the only way I know how people deal with it in chameleons is pain management and certain meds that can be harsh on them. Gout can be caused by various things in chameleons. If you were feeding meat proteins of any type to your feeders they often transfer gout. Of course your gutload needed to be worked on, but from what I know flukers though a crap gutload, does not have ingredients that cause gout. He also sounds like he needed a lot more water than what you were providing in general.
Okay, I'll start using greens and veggies that are safe for chams if I get another one in the future. And yes should've given him a lot more water I always was a little unsure about that but everyone said that as long as the substrate packets looked fine then everything was alright, which they did until he stopped drinking near the end. But I will look into getting a mister.

Okay, I'll start using greens and veggies that are safe for chams if I get another one in the future. And yes should've given him a lot more water I always was a little unsure about that but everyone said that as long as the substrate packets looked fine then everything was alright, which they did until he stopped drinking near the end. But I will look into getting a mister.
I'm confused about what you mean by substrate packets.

As for the dusting...you should dust your feeders right before they are fed to your Cham so them tracking it all over the cubes shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't have the cubes in your Cham cage at all. And if you have a better gut load and not the orange cubes you can get water crystal gels from any feeder suppliers.

I'm confused about what you mean by substrate packets.

As for the dusting...you should dust your feeders right before they are fed to your Cham so them tracking it all over the cubes shouldn't be an issue. You shouldn't have the cubes in your Cham cage at all. And if you have a better gut load and not the orange cubes you can get water crystal gels from any feeder suppliers.
Oh jeez, I think I must've been calling it the wrong thing. Sorry! By substrate packet I was referring to the urine, my mistake. And I don't keep the cricket food in the chameleon's terrarium, I keep it with the crickets. Just to clarify, you dust them right before the feeding? Because that's what I've been doing, but people have been saying to do it daily. Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm understanding

Oh jeez, I think I must've been calling it the wrong thing. Sorry! By substrate packet I was referring to the urine, my mistake. And I don't keep the cricket food in the chameleon's terrarium, I keep it with the crickets. Just to clarify, you dust them right before the feeding? Because that's what I've been doing, but people have been saying to do it daily. Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm understanding
You would be dusting daily when you feed them daily. After about a year you can go to feeding every other day. You dust with every feeding.

Back
Top Bottom