Chameleon dead tissue

KhameleonMomz

Established Member
Hi y’all! So I have my chameleon Nolan and my sister in law noticed some “stuck shed” on him so she decided to remove it. A week later (today) I’m looking at the hip region of his spine and see a dark discolored patch on him. I also notice that it is bleeding and when I went to stop the bleeding because I completely freaked out his spike almost came off! I immediately stopped touching it since it also seemed stressful for him and let him be. I attempted to place some polysporin on him with somewhat success but he’s twitching and vibrating in his sleep so I’m not sure if he’s stressed, in pain from the ointment, or annoyed? I’m really concerned about this dark patch that looks like a burn that singed off his spikes but couldn’t possibly be since he can’t reach anything that hot. I’m assuming my sister in law’s help wasn’t actually helpful at all and caused this horrible accident to happen so I just need some advice about what to do or how much damage she actually caused him?

Should I keep up with the ointment? Leave him alone to try and heal? Also could be die from this type of stress and injury? He’s like my child I would be devastated and I feel responsible since I wasn’t there to stop the person that did this. I know forceably removing skin is a big no no but I didn’t think this was the outcome. The damage is about 4 spikes worth, and it didn’t seem to bother him at all until I tried to stop the bleeding and place the ointment.

ANother vote for burn. It doesnt take much. Just because you can put your hand under it for 20min and its just "hot", its going to burn. It might take an hour of basking, but they are creative. Normally its a focused hot spot that you didnt even see/measure. Ive had burns just by replacing the basking lamp, with the exact same basking lamp(had a box of them), because the new one burned a bit brighter.

ANother vote for burn. It doesnt take much. Just because you can put your hand under it for 20min and its just "hot", its going to burn. It might take an hour of basking, but they are creative. Normally its a focused hot spot that you didnt even see/measure. Ive had burns just by replacing the basking lamp, with the exact same basking lamp(had a box of them), because the new one burned a bit brighter.
Oh okay I see that makes sense, would you recommend any other medications besides what I’m giving him already? I made a vet appt but it’s not until this upcoming Friday in a week. I just want to make sure he’s safe till then.

Some pictures

Attachments

• 46A07F80-3B1D-472E-9A4F-5B682FED9C4B.jpeg
    46A07F80-3B1D-472E-9A4F-5B682FED9C4B.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 42951A72-1C70-4B65-811B-500FCF7BC89F.jpeg
    42951A72-1C70-4B65-811B-500FCF7BC89F.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 37EE2D5E-C794-4462-8FDA-FD53E6FFA243.jpeg
    37EE2D5E-C794-4462-8FDA-FD53E6FFA243.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 90
  • BD7202AD-F5CD-4A2F-B30A-DDB7643A64B4.jpeg