Chameleon constipation but already pooped??? Help please!

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi all my cham has been passing feces very poorly recently. He’s pooping once every other day or maybe miss 2 but he usually passes everyday. He already passed today and I’ve set it aside for our visit to the vets on Wednesday morning. However, as I’ve gone to turn his lights off I’ve found him like this
He looks like he’s trying to poop but can’t. Very confused with what could be wrong. I’ve filled out the form already and every said get a fecal done which is happening Wednesday but just confused as his feces doesn’t smell. I see him drink every morning as well so just really confused. I thought I may of over supplemented his calcium for a week? As I did out more on than usual as I changed my way of doing it. They were heavily dusted. Any thoughts?

IMG_5411.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5413.jpeg
    IMG_5413.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 51
I see that it’s been an ongoing issue. Asking your vet is the best thing. You want to lightly dust with your supplements. If they look like little snowmen, there’s too much. I don’t recall how often and how exactly you are hydrating him, but adding either an additional misting or a dripper may also help.

I dunno if he’s constipated or not but that eye looks like there’s something wrong with it as well as his mouth. Let me tag some people in that know more about panthers than I do.
@Beman @MissSkittles
Hi thanks for the reply :) his eye is a scar he’s had from very young and his mouth is fine it’s just his colour, I think he went a bit darker from straining.
I see that it’s been an ongoing issue. Asking your vet is the best thing. You want to lightly dust with your supplements. If they look like little snowmen, there’s too much. I don’t recall how often and how exactly you are hydrating him, but adding either an additional misting or a dripper may also help.
I’ve got an appointment at 9:30 tomorrow morning, he’s still eating and drinking fine he has his mister on through the night keeping his humidity very high and he had the little dripper that drops on to the hosta plant although he prefers to try and drink from the dripper tube it’s self than off the leaf at the moment could be the positioning of the leaf but hostas hood water so well and are essentially bigger versions of the dripper leaves. I will admit that there was maybe a week or around that time give or take where they were like little snowmen and I think that has caused it. Do you have any photos of how covered the feeders should be?

Just watched a video on supplementing and I’m 100% sure I’ve been doing too much. Should I now miss the calcium for a couple of days? Or should I just put the correct amount on?

It wouldn’t hurt to miss a day or two of calcium, but I wouldn’t go without any longer than that without asking your vet.
I use a tall deli cup and put a tiny pinch of supplement in it. Then I let the feeders walk around thru it and usually that works well. This cricket didn’t get too terribly much on itself, but some of the others got a bit more. This was just the one I grabbed.
IMG_4714.jpeg

It wouldn’t hurt to miss a day or two of calcium, but I wouldn’t go without any longer than that without asking your vet.
I use a tall deli cup and put a tiny pinch of supplement in it. Then I let the feeders walk around thru it and usually that works well. This cricket didn’t get too terribly much on itself, but some of the others got a bit more. This was just the one I grabbed.
View attachment 338718
Yeah I have massively been overdoing the supplements. This is a massive help and eye opener. Thank you this really means a lot getting this pic for me :)

Hi all my cham has been passing feces very poorly recently. He’s pooping once every other day or maybe miss 2 but he usually passes everyday. He already passed today and I’ve set it aside for our visit to the vets on Wednesday morning. However, as I’ve gone to turn his lights off I’ve found him like this
He looks like he’s trying to poop but can’t. Very confused with what could be wrong. I’ve filled out the form already and every said get a fecal done which is happening Wednesday but just confused as his feces doesn’t smell. I see him drink every morning as well so just really confused. I thought I may of over supplemented his calcium for a week? As I did out more on than usual as I changed my way of doing it. They were heavily dusted. Any thoughts?

View attachment 338689
In the meantime while waiting for a fecal, you can give him Luke warm soaks in very shallow water. Don't take your eye off of him while he soaks and if he is comfortable, massage his side's or tummy in a downward motion. This helped my girl when she was constipated. Good luck!

In the meantime while waiting for a fecal, you can give him Luke warm soaks in very shallow water. Don't take your eye off of him while he soaks and if he is comfortable, massage his side's or tummy in a downward motion. This helped my girl when she was constipated. Good luck!
Thank you! The fecal came back clean, I think he’s just struggling to pass feces but I can’t work out why and the vets said he seems perfectly fine

We don’t ever recommend soaking chameleons. It’s not good for them and what feels like Luke warm to us can feel really hot to them!

I just watched a video of this and I’m not too sure it is that, I am not sure if she checked it tho she said everything felt and looked perfect.

HOWEVER, he has just passed feces in front of me fairly easy too apart from a second last bit but it looks improved and it was a lot!View attachment 338838
That is wonderful news. Please ignore my comment from yesterday regarding soaking. Apparently it is not recommended, but I can't delete my comment

Back
Top Bottom