Chameleon Care for Beginners

chameleonkate

I am very new to the Chameleon world and want to get research and advice on what to purchase and how to go about things with a new little buddy before I make any final decisions. I could really use help!
I had a really cool connection with a sweet little Chameleon in the pet store today, and I would love to welcome him into my life and home, but if I do this will be my first reptile.

Thank you all so much and I'm excited to join with community and gain a new friend!

A chameleon was my first as well. And mine is thriving. I first looked into the "resources" part of the site which tells you pretty much everything you need to know. So check that out first.

And if anything is unclear or want more info about then ask away. Everyone is very helpful and its not likely you wont get a response on anything you ask.

Check out the Chameleon Breeder podcast!! I’m in the same position, I haven’t purchased a chameleon yet but I’ve been doing A LOT of research. That podcast has been amazing and a wealth of info. Also this forum has been amazing. I would suggest doing all the research you can first before purchasing a pet.

Thanks for adding that link i was in a rush with that post before. But yeah. Owning a chameleon is quite unique. They're definitely more of a admiring animal like fish, then a social one. But far more interesting an rewarding then fish lol.
There is def a lot you need to know, but its not necessarily difficult. Once a routine is established its quite simple. You will prob need a at least 250 - 300 bucks to start up an enclosure. Auto mister is kind of necessary if you want a life lol.

Welcome though. Before getting my cham i did months of research and questions and setting his enclosure up before i finally got him. Not great pic but thats my lil guy try an find better one later

Attachments

• 20181017_103550.jpg
    20181017_103550.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for adding that link i was in a rush with that post before. But yeah. Owning a chameleon is quite unique. They're definitely more of a admiring animal like fish, then a social one. But far more interesting an rewarding then fish lol.
There is def a lot you need to know, but its not necessarily difficult. Once a routine is established its quite simple. You will prob need a at least 250 - 300 bucks to start up an enclosure. Auto mister is kind of necessary if you want a life lol.

Welcome though. Before getting my cham i did months of research and questions and setting his enclosure up before i finally got him. Not great pic but thats my lil guy try an find better one later
Wow I’m now $1500 in at least for new enclosure, mistking, fogger, lighting, live plants, vines and branches. Granted I did get expensive stuff lol

Lol 1 but he likes dubia. Once he is on every other day feeding it will drop to half.
Oh gotcha... my guys picky ...my dubias bred with zero effort to breed so i have more then i need. But yeah after feeding every other day its much less demanding.

Sorry kate for having a convo on your post

Oh gotcha... my guys picky ...my dubias bred with zero effort to breed so i have more then i need. But yeah after feeding every other day its much less demanding.

Sorry kate for having a convo on your post
Yeah sorry about the side convo :) my daughter would kill me if I had them breeding in the house so I have to wait on that until she basically goes to college lol

To the OP, it's really important to both do your research and get your cage set up and running before you bring a new chameleon home. Also, I'm a strong proponent of buying a chameleon from a respected breeder (like the sponsors on here), instead of a pet store. Unless your pet store is a Mom and Pop operation that can take good care of their chameleons, a lot that come from the box stores come with issues from improper husbandry while at the store. Also, get your information for what to buy from the links on here, and the care sheets, not from the pet store - they are in business to make money and may not have your best interests at heart. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom