Chameleon Breeder Podcast on Carnivorous Plants!

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
So I listed to this last Friday and realized this nursery is in my extended back yard and I also remembered that in years past i used to want to do stuff like this all the time and just didn't have the time really or a decent camera for that matter so I did a walk though for your enjoyment, if you live too far away to go, so take a look!

These plants are actually really cool to have. I had a few Venus fly traps and a pitcher before I had a chameleon.
I live in the north east and winters suck on everything lol. Between it being winter and trying to split one off for a buddy it became to weak and died off.
Wish there was a nursery like that here!

Just a heads up , if your going to film and want really good images for your cast and what not
Consider a steady cam!
Not sure if that was an iPhone or handheld, some things where a bit difficult to see, esp between the focus points. A steady cam and slow movement usually help clear that up a bit.

Cool piece though!

These plants are actually really cool to have. I had a few Venus fly traps and a pitcher before I had a chameleon.
I live in the north east and winters suck on everything lol. Between it being winter and trying to split one off for a buddy it became to weak and died off.
Wish there was a nursery like that here!

Just a heads up , if your going to film and want really good images for your cast and what not
Consider a steady cam!
Not sure if that was an iPhone or handheld, some things where a bit difficult to see, esp between the focus points. A steady cam and slow movement usually help clear that up a bit.

Cool piece though!
Recommend a decent entry level one?

I forget where I got my fly trap
But I've seen them lately in home depo.
You could prob order them online as well.

There pretty basic from what I know. One biggie is that I repotted mine in blend of one-third sand and two-thirds sphagnum peat moss.
They live in nutrient deficient , acidic soil.

Non direct Sunlight and the occasional bug, and you should be good to go.
Just don't make the traps close for giggles without food as it requires an extensive amount of energy for them to close.
I belive after a few closures the traps actually will die off.

Cool plants and will live a long time if taken care of!

So i watched your video, pretty cool i enjoyed the walkthrough. I always liked carnivorous plants, but i know nothing about them. any tips on what would do well in a cham room for a beginner? Would make some nice decoration. Do any of them kill gnats with any efficiency?

I kept mine inside for a few months over winter when I first got it,
Then moved in onto my porch for summer in in direct natural light where it flourished pretty good!
It def kept the flies away ( I'd always find the exoskeletons left behind after digestion)

Gnats might be a hard sell for them being tiny compared to flies and others.
They have little hairs inside the trap that trigger the closure when disturbed.

I always wanted to try the fly traps In my dendro enclosures but I don't know how well they would do.

Back
Top Bottom